News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

The war on Easter

Started by Mr.Obvious, April 04, 2017, 01:03:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

I would think trees would have been reintroduced to the Island by now.  I never hear that they have, which is hard to believe in this century.

Mike Cl

Quote from: SGOS on April 05, 2017, 09:48:49 AM
I would think trees would have been reintroduced to the Island by now.  I never hear that they have, which is hard to believe in this century.
I know that people live there now, but about the trees I know nothing now.  I'd think there would be some by now, too.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Mr.Obvious

I often find myself wondering what it must be like to grow up on what is essentialy an isolated landmass, or migrating there and living there. Especially in bygone ages.
The idea is strangely appealing. I like the idea of a 'small world' and knowing that area well, rather than an unlimited places to go and seeing as much as you can, even if it's fleeting, of a wider world.  I think it coincides with why I don't really feel the need to travel, ironically. I never went to Asia or Africa, or Australia or America. Heck, I've never even been to east-Europe. Seeing places for a few weeks or a few months doesn't appeal to me. It's not worth the effort, nor the bother. I like seeing the familiar places I know. It feels more... intimate... I don't know. It sounds stupid saying it. Fewer people, fewer choices, fewer options. Cutting through the overabundance of opportunity in today's world. Stupid, I know.
But I feel like I could, if offered, go and live on a place like Easter Island and be happy. Or one of the Frisian islands. Or even Iceland which is a lot bigger than Belgium, but feels more isolated. Or some of the more remote towns in Alaska or Canada or Greenland or Denmark. I wouldn't want to live off the grid, I'd need a propper home and internet and electricity and water and such.
On the other hand, I love Antwerp; a thriving city. But I couldn't imagine myself going to live in any other real city and I suspect that's only because it's where I grew up. I wouldn't want to live in Brussels, Leuven, Ghent, Charleroi, Oostende, Hamburg, Paris, Amsterdam, ... Objectively I know these cities ain't worse than Antwerp. But I lack a connection to the land. And living on the countryside in Belgium (in which everything is closeby as we are such a small country) is frankly just simply offputting to me; because it's never far from any of the bigger cities which means you are never far from 'the bigger world'.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Solomon Zorn

Last Easter, I wished each of my family members, a "Happy Zombie Day!" Most didn't get it.
If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

SGOS

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on April 05, 2017, 10:16:34 AM
But I feel like I could, if offered, go and live on a place like Easter Island and be happy.
I suspect that the light house on Pitcairn Island is automated by now, but 50 years ago, you could have been a lighthouse keeper there.  Once every year you could talk to the sailors on the supply ship, and the rest of the time, no one would bother you, but apparently, the place is now under development.

While stumbling about on the Internet, I came across this news article from Pit Cairn (the only one that turned up in my brief surfing, and it's two years old), so the place has probably turned into Sodom and Gomorrah by now.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/rachelzarrell/pitcairn-island-legalizes-same-sex-marriage?utm_term=.lr2JQvzKb#.vuLNajB9v
QuoteAn Island With Only 48 Residents And No Gay Couples Just Legalized Same-Sex Marriage.  Most of the inhabitants on the roughly two-mile Pitcairn Island are related. The new law was unanimously approved and actually went into effect on May 15 [2015], but the island’s deputy governor, Kevin Lynch, said they were only able to get the news out recently because their website was having technical issues.

British authorities suggested the new law after last year’s legalization of same-sex marriage by England, Wales, and Scotland.

But there haven’t been any same-sex marriages, resident Merelda Warren told The Guardian, and she knows of no same-sex couples looking to wed. She said the island’s only preacher is also a Seventh-Day Adventist, a religion that opposes gay marriage.

“It’s not Pitcairn Islanders that were pushing for it,” she said. “But it’s like anything else in the world. It’s happening everywhere else, so why not?”

Yeah, maybe it sounded like a good idea at the time, but it's going to end up in chaos, and marriage will be dead.  There will be storms with thunder and lightening and everything.  People will be wandering about aimlessly trying to find food.  It's not going to end well.

Hijiri Byakuren

I vote we declare war on Cinco de Mayo next.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

SGOS

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on April 05, 2017, 11:58:47 AM
I don't care, but don't go messin' with Halloween.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on April 05, 2017, 11:58:47 AM
You go ahead, I'll ketchup later.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Baruch

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on April 05, 2017, 10:16:34 AM
I often find myself wondering what it must be like to grow up on what is essentialy an isolated landmass, or migrating there and living there. Especially in bygone ages.
The idea is strangely appealing. I like the idea of a 'small world' and knowing that area well, rather than an unlimited places to go and seeing as much as you can, even if it's fleeting, of a wider world.  I think it coincides with why I don't really feel the need to travel, ironically. I never went to Asia or Africa, or Australia or America. Heck, I've never even been to east-Europe. Seeing places for a few weeks or a few months doesn't appeal to me. It's not worth the effort, nor the bother. I like seeing the familiar places I know. It feels more... intimate... I don't know. It sounds stupid saying it. Fewer people, fewer choices, fewer options. Cutting through the overabundance of opportunity in today's world. Stupid, I know.
But I feel like I could, if offered, go and live on a place like Easter Island and be happy. Or one of the Frisian islands. Or even Iceland which is a lot bigger than Belgium, but feels more isolated. Or some of the more remote towns in Alaska or Canada or Greenland or Denmark. I wouldn't want to live off the grid, I'd need a propper home and internet and electricity and water and such.
On the other hand, I love Antwerp; a thriving city. But I couldn't imagine myself going to live in any other real city and I suspect that's only because it's where I grew up. I wouldn't want to live in Brussels, Leuven, Ghent, Charleroi, Oostende, Hamburg, Paris, Amsterdam, ... Objectively I know these cities ain't worse than Antwerp. But I lack a connection to the land. And living on the countryside in Belgium (in which everything is closeby as we are such a small country) is frankly just simply offputting to me; because it's never far from any of the bigger cities which means you are never far from 'the bigger world'.

You sound very "old country" and very Belgian.  The Nervii of you!  Or Belgae?  Red ant or black ant .. choose!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mr.Obvious

"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Baruch

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on April 06, 2017, 01:52:05 AM
Uh, uhm... Uh. Termite!

Must be a Roman secret agent ... they called them "speculators".
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on April 06, 2017, 01:52:05 AM
Uh, uhm... Uh. Termite!
Termite should be outlawed. Nasty thing to use in war.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Solomon Zorn

War on Easter, is Santa's payback, for the time the Easter Bunny hired Lobo to assassinate him...

If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com