Why space exploration is a pointless waste of money

Started by Hydra009, April 01, 2017, 01:46:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on April 04, 2017, 07:00:18 AM
SA isn't a peer reviewed journal, of course. But, just for fun, did they say how much more exposure we'd get in space than on Earth?
It's apparently significant.  The magnet poles of the earth deflect most, but not all, of the harmful radiation. 

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SGOS on April 04, 2017, 10:00:38 AM
It's apparently significant.  The magnet poles of the earth deflect most, but not all, of the harmful radiation. 
Including cosmic rays? Ummm...
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on April 04, 2017, 10:07:11 AM
From my reading, cosmic rays were included in a list of harmful rays.  This was followed by a description of the effect of the magnetic poles on harmful radiations, so it sort of implied that, but I wondered the same thing.  I think I read someplace that  cosmic rays were like photons, and I wondered why magnetism would affect particles of light.  Gravity apparently affects the path of light rays.  Photons, I don't know, and besides that my limited knowledge may be jumbled.  I'm out of my depth, but no one else responded, so consider this to be me just taking a shot.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SGOS on April 04, 2017, 10:24:08 AM
From my reading, cosmic rays were included in a list of harmful rays.  This was followed by a description of the effect of the magnetic poles on harmful radiations, so it sort of implied that, but I wondered the same thing.  I think I read someplace that  cosmic rays were like photons, and I wondered why magnetism would affect particles of light.  Gravity apparently affects the path of light rays.  Photons, I don't know, and besides that my limited knowledge may be jumbled.  I'm out of my depth, but no one else responded, so consider this to be me just taking a shot.
I'm not aware of cosmic rays being deflected by anything. Not current on the matter, however, so I asked. ...---...
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Hydra009

Quote from: Cavebear on April 03, 2017, 03:15:46 AMScientific American suggests that cosmic rays prevent human space travel in the immediate future due to brain damage.  So maybe we better spend a few decades solving our problems here first while they solve that problem anyway.
There's a fine line between being an explorer and being suicidal.

I'm not opposed to putting off a mission until a minimum level of safety can be reached.  I am opposed to putting off a mission indefinitely for political/spacephobic reasons that have nothing to do with safety.

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on April 04, 2017, 10:07:11 AM

Atmosphere converts more powerful cosmic rays, into muons and neutrinos.  The muons can still hurt you, but are more intense at higher altitudes.  Neutrinos can't hurt you.  Some cosmic rays (high speed particles and very energetic photons) can be converted into electron-positron pairs when they encounter the atmosphere, so at altitude you are getting a small exposure to anti-matter too.  That is where the first anti-matter was detected.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on April 04, 2017, 10:24:08 AM

Photon deflection is minimal, and high energy cosmic rays while deflectable, aren't reduced by much (high energy).  The Earth's magnetic field mostly protects us from the lethal solar wind (which is a problem for the ISP).  And the atmosphere protects us from lethal UV.  Without the atmosphere and magnetic field, if you could not need breathing, you would be fried or cancered at the surface pretty quick, people would have to live underground.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Hydra009 on April 04, 2017, 10:57:05 AM
There's a fine line between being an explorer and being suicidal.

I'm not opposed to putting off a mission until a minimum level of safety can be reached.  I am opposed to putting off a mission indefinitely for political/spacephobic reasons that have nothing to do with safety.

Nuts have volunteered for one way flights to Mars, and will more likely actually take trips around the moon (no landing though ... Armstrong barely survived his).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

aitm

Quote from: Hydra009 on April 02, 2017, 11:03:31 AM
Happy April Fools Day! 

Anyone who thought any of these arguments were compelling in any way, you need to seriously re-examine your baloney detection kit.

With the amount and kind of bull-shit we get in this forum you think yours was too over board?  oy vey.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Baruch

Tang was so awesome, it propelled us into a different parallel universe where Kennedy wasn't assassinated!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on April 04, 2017, 07:00:18 AM
SA isn't a peer reviewed journal, of course. But, just for fun, did they say how much more exposure we'd get in space than on Earth?

SA Feb 2017 had an article "Deep Space Deal-Breaker" discussing the consequences of space travel cosmic rays on the brain's dendrites outside the Earth's magnetosphere.  Simulated experiments showed that mice sufferred behavioral and neurological damage in only a few weeks.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on April 07, 2017, 05:48:04 AM
SA Feb 2017 had an article "Deep Space Deal-Breaker" discussing the consequences of space travel cosmic rays on the brain's dendrites outside the Earth's magnetosphere.  Simulated experiments showed that mice sufferred behavioral and neurological damage in only a few weeks.

It that how we got D and R people? ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: Baruch on April 07, 2017, 06:56:06 AM
It that how we got D and R people? ;-)
As I recall, only one of them took the ride into space.  It was the ride just before the ride that blew up the elementary school teacher.  I think about that a lot.  What an ill fated program.  They should have sent the teacher up first, and then the politician.  Damit!  It soured me on the space program for good.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cavebear on April 07, 2017, 05:48:04 AM
And what were the conditions of the experiment?
PZ Myers

SGOS