Guys, fearing hell (again) I just wanted some pointers

Started by Manga, April 01, 2017, 01:45:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: aitm on April 15, 2017, 09:26:49 AM
So you're quoting scripture, using it as a source of authority, but dismissing anyone else use if derogatory as.....
seems like typical behavior. Words mean certain things unless pulled from the babble where they are only allowed to be interpreted by the believer for "best variable options"

A dictionary is a momentary photograph of current usage.  Language is a living thing, defined by the usage to which living beings give it.  This doesn't satisfy the doctrinaire or the idiological.  Too loosey goosey.  So I agree, anyone claiming any authority for anything (and this includes Ockham's Razor version of naturalism (all the way down)) ... are authoritarians.  They all deserve a verbal bullet to the head.  My "imago dei" is just as good as anyone else's.

Scripture is frequently abused, but Ananta hasn't gotten a feel for how we do things here.  He will learn.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Ananta Shesha

So you're quoting scripture, using it as a source of authority, but dismissing anyone else use if derogatory as.....
seems like typical behavior. Words mean certain things unless pulled from the babble where they are only allowed to be interpreted by the believer for "best variable options"
I view all scriptures as conglomerate rocks. There's valuable ore to find and be refined, there's also all the coprolite one could want to throw.  Does browsing through the phonebook make me a yellow pagean?

Sorginak

Quote from: Ananta Shesha on April 15, 2017, 06:25:17 PM
I view all scriptures as conglomerate rocks. There's valuable ore to find and be refined, there's also all the coprolite one could want to throw.  Does browsing through the phonebook make me a yellow pagean?

Wisdom can be found anywhere.  It does not mean that the hobo who speaks a sentence of wisdom is to be followed. 

Ananta Shesha

Quote from: Sorginak on April 15, 2017, 06:26:51 PM
Wisdom can be found anywhere.  It does not mean that the hobo who speaks a sentence of wisdom is to be followed.
If I followed anything but my own sense of integrity and truth, it would be inauthentic, and imho unworthy of presenting to The God.  But that's just me. ;-)

Baruch

Yes, the phone number scrawled in the men's bathroom ... Call XXX for a good time ... probably isn't reliable if is it a police sting.

There is ignorance and knowledge
There is understanding and confusion
There is wisdom and foolishness

Chose wisely ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Blackleaf

Or, as I've heard others put it, even a broken clock is right two times a day. The Bible is nothing special.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Cavebear

No offense meant, but that first sentence was rather loose.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!