Guys, fearing hell (again) I just wanted some pointers

Started by Manga, April 01, 2017, 01:45:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Manga

I know I kind of already asked this in my visions of hell question, but it is eating me up inside. I was raised religiously since I was born and I always believed in hell. I do believe in evolution, I don't believe the earth is only 6000 years old, I disregard most of the bible, and STILL I fear hell and it is very annoying. I guess these youtube videos and things that I read about are too much. Do any of you on here know if Christians believe that they would see demons in they go to hell? These so called experiences have a lot of people saying they saw demons who mocked God. I'm just wondering how someone could hallucinate such detailed imagery and why so many people have claimed to see hell and it scares the living daylights out of me. What do you guys think are the odds hell exists, how can I get rid of this fear? If these visions and NDEs were all debunked I would be an atheist but they scare me too much!

Gilgamesh

I've literally drawn pentagrams in my own blood and did the whole hail satan shebang. Nothing happens. It's all bullshit, mang.

Blackleaf

The whole concept of Hell is so ridiculous, I can't even take it seriously any more. I'm expected to believe that a perfectly loving God decided that it was just to punish someone with eternal torment for not picking the right religion out of thousands, without any evidence to help us find the one true religion? Mmmk. And I'm expect to believe that when my body dies, my eternal soul will be transported to another dimension, where I will suffer unimaginable pain despite lacking a body with nerve endings? And despite being thrown into lava pits and poked with sharp objects, I will remain in one piece in order to be able to suffer eternally? Right...

It's just silly and doesn't make any sense. Hell is just an invention to play on your fears and control you. See through this ruse and move on.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Baruch

Quote from: Gilgamesh on April 01, 2017, 01:48:02 AM
I've literally drawn pentagrams in my own blood and did the whole hail satan shebang. Nothing happens. It's all bullshit, mang.

Doesn't work on goody-two-shoes ;-)  To become a hard-ass, you have to have led a life of people kicking your-ass, and you not liking it.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Manga on April 01, 2017, 01:45:25 AM
I know I kind of already asked this in my visions of hell question, but it is eating me up inside. I was raised religiously since I was born and I always believed in hell. I do believe in evolution, I don't believe the earth is only 6000 years old, I disregard most of the bible, and STILL I fear hell and it is very annoying. I guess these youtube videos and things that I read about are too much. Do any of you on here know if Christians believe that they would see demons in they go to hell? These so called experiences have a lot of people saying they saw demons who mocked God. I'm just wondering how someone could hallucinate such detailed imagery and why so many people have claimed to see hell and it scares the living daylights out of me. What do you guys think are the odds hell exists, how can I get rid of this fear? If these visions and NDEs were all debunked I would be an atheist but they scare me too much!

I know some Christians.  But I am not one of them.  But I accept what people tell me, because I like being naive.  My best friend, she hears angels.  And she believes that demons are hostile aliens from another dimension.  So she can reconcile science fiction with theology.

On the other hand.  I have had involvement with nuclear weapons technology.  I have seen imaginary portrayals of what that kind of thing does to people, as well as post  nuke Japan pictures.  I can envision what that is like, anytime I close my eyes and choose to see it.  Not unlike the Hell that Constantine (fictional character, demon fighter) sees when he visits Hell.

I hope you can overcome your fear.  I hope I can overcome my guilt.  Do good, not evil, and there is less reason to be concerned with Hell.  It doesn't have to be eternal, to be real bad.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Munch

Quote from: Gilgamesh on April 01, 2017, 01:48:02 AM

I tried witchcraft when I was in my late teens, tried to make it stop raining for gay pride. That's when I knew witchcraft was Bullshit.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Baruch

Quote from: Munch on April 01, 2017, 03:05:45 AM
I tried witchcraft when I was in my late teens, tried to make it stop raining for gay pride. That's when I knew witchcraft was Bullshit.

Were you cross-dressed as Witch Hazel?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgtSI-LVjIE

At that age, I was pretty good at Classic Tarot.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Munch

Quote from: Baruch on April 01, 2017, 03:23:58 AM
Were you cross-dressed as Witch Hazel?

https://www.youtube.com/w atch?v=NgtSI-LVjIE

At that age, I was pretty good at Classic Tarot.

I more followed the willow rosenberg method of sweater top and bell bottom pants
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Baruch

Quote from: Munch on April 01, 2017, 03:53:52 AM
I more followed the willow rosenberg method of sweater top and bell bottom pants

Cutting your hair too short ...

You went for More-Lock but got Less-Lock instead?  You paid too much for that du, dude.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Jason78

If these visions and NDEs were all debunked I would be an atheist but they scare me too much!

Once again.   The brain does funny things when starved of oxygen.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Draconic Aiur

Gawdzilla Sama

Hell is simply a form of extortion where the victim volunteers the funds. The only "products" churches have are "salvation" and "damnation". Neither of which can be proven to actually exist. But hope for one and fear of the other keeps the Vatican's seventeen art galleries stocked.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on April 01, 2017, 09:17:57 AM
Hell is simply a form of extortion where the victim volunteers the funds. The only "products" churches have are "salvation" and "damnation". Neither of which can be proven to actually exist. But hope for one and fear of the other keeps the Vatican's seventeen art galleries stocked.

You forgot penance and Purgatory.  That was true, in the Late Roman Empire under Emperor Theodosius ... there was only one allowed religion ... his.  Slap me shocked!  This was a couple generations after Emperor Constantine, who made Christianity licit (but only the version he approved of, at the bishops conclave he approved, with bishops he approved of).  Initially other religions were still licit.  Not every religion, the Romans being totalitarian, they always reserved the right to punish you for disobedience, and practicing atheism, or a non-approved religion, was punishable, eventually by death.  When Constantine made Christianity licit, he basically nationalized them ... only priests that he approved of could practice, and all of them became civil servants.  That is how we got Sunday as an official holy day ... because as a Solar pagan, that was his favorite day of the week.  In this Orthodox Christianity (primarily created by Constantine) there was salvation only thru the Church, salvation wasn't optional, and if you sinned, you had to do penance, or be kicked out, eventually in a monoculture, to be shunned by one and all.  Confession hadn't been invented yet, but that was a great addition ... confessing to an agent of the State, once a week.  The Irish invented that.  Gotta control the narrative, in dictatorship-ville.  Now we have Facebook.

So no, not just an ideological lock on people, but the authority of the State to enforce conformity.  Something all us non-conformists, loath.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

I know I kind of already asked this in my visions of hell question, but it is eating me up inside.
It's only been a couple of months since you asked for help.  It took me years to extricate myself from the bullshit, so your fear doesn't surprise me.  Some people have sudden flashes of insight.  For others it's a slow awakening.  I can sense your fear, but it's just an artifact left over from your days of indoctrination.  Mine went away.  I think yours will too.  But probably not soon.

Cavebear

I'm 66, I was an atheist at 12.  I don't have a whole lot of doubts.  I escaped all the BS a LONG time ago.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!