Just got my 23andMe DNA analysis report

Started by PopeyesPappy, March 26, 2017, 01:02:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

Well, I think mitochodrial DNA would show whether it was Neanderthal women and Cro Magnon men or the reverse.  But it appears that Neanderthal Y chromosome genes are absent in modern humans.  So it would seem modern humans have whatever Neanderthal genes from Neanderthal women.  But it is also possible that Neanderthal male genes were just less advantageous between then and now and disappeared through natural selection.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on July 28, 2017, 03:56:26 AM
Well, I think mitochodrial DNA would show whether it was Neanderthal women and Cro Magnon men or the reverse.  But it appears that Neanderthal Y chromosome genes are absent in modern humans.  So it would seem modern humans have whatever Neanderthal genes from Neanderthal women.  But it is also possible that Neanderthal male genes were just less advantageous between then and now and disappeared through natural selection.

Yes, we need more old human remains.  There are a few that are half Neanderthal.  I don't know what part of the DNA they recovered, but if enough, it should answer the male N vs female N question.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on July 28, 2017, 07:21:07 AM
Mine will be ready in 6-8 weeks. :-(

Patience, you will be that much older, but your DNA won't be ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: Baruch on July 22, 2017, 07:20:45 PM
Also early men didn't understand the connection between sex and children.  The pregnancy of women was simply women's magic.

Define early man.

We don't have a clue when our ancestors made the connection between sex and procreation, but it is possible we figured that shit out before homo sapiens hit the scene. Homo ergaster, erectus, georgicus, pekinensis, and heidelbergensis I'm guessing probably not. Possibly as early as the common ancestor of Neanderthal and Denisovan though.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Baruch on July 28, 2017, 07:23:34 AM
Patience, you will be that much older, but your DNA won't be ;-)
I've used up most of it.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on July 28, 2017, 10:42:12 AM
Define early man.

We don't have a clue when our ancestors made the connection between sex and procreation, but it is possible we figured that shit out before homo sapiens hit the scene. Homo ergaster, erectus, georgicus, pekinensis, and heidelbergensis I'm guessing probably not. Possibly as early as the common ancestor of Neanderthal and Denisovan though.

If you get up before 5am you are way too early ;-)  If you have better anthropology with primitive tribes ... show it.  Otherwise get back in you time machine and go feed your pet T-Rex.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

PopeyesPappy

lol. What's wrong, Baruch? Don't like your bald-faced assertion getting called out?

Ancient hominids were making and using tools more than 2 million years ago. Fossils tell us the area of the brains of our ancestors associated with speech was well developed a million and half years ago. It isn't a stretch to believe it is possible our ancestors figured out sex led to children a very very long time ago.

Baruch

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on July 30, 2017, 10:37:10 PM
lol. What's wrong, Baruch? Don't like your bald-faced assertion getting called out?

Ancient hominids were making and using tools more than 2 million years ago. Fossils tell us the area of the brains of our ancestors associated with speech was well developed a million and half years ago. It isn't a stretch to believe it is possible our ancestors figured out sex led to children a very very long time ago.

I grow a manly beard.  You kids might not shave yet ;-)  And you can imagine what you want, but it isn't anthropology.  You simply are virtue signaling your support of primitive tribes, yes?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on July 30, 2017, 10:37:10 PM

I'm sure Baruch is used to have his statements called out or ignored.  He seems to be mostly interested in post counts.  I myself simply gave up on trying to understand his cryptic replies a couple of months ago.

But as far as paternity goes, I suspect it required some degree of monogamy or at least routine cohabitation for ancient modern humans to understand the connection between sex and babies.  Something like "Oh look Aga's baby has Ergs eyes" and noticing that they were always "together". 

The thoughts would have been tenuous at first. 

OR it might have been blindingly obvious.  Like, that doe and buck, they "do that" and then she has a foal.  And the ones that don't "do that" don't.  Hey WE do that...

Hard to tell.  But humans aren't stupid.  They catch onto things pretty quick.  I would guess after Homo Erectus (no pun intended) and before Homo Sapiens.

Build a time machine and check me, LOL!

Baruch

Cavebear ... exactly what I said.  If someone claims to know exactly how people related maritally 20,000 years ago, they are either an anthropologist making guesses, or they are yet another screaming girl companion of Dr Who.  But it is claimed, when British got to Australia, they Aborigines didn't know the connection between sex and childbirth.  They were until then the most isolated and backward people in Earth.  A kind of time capsule.  Of course one can claim, without any justification, that like the case of Margaret Mead, the natives were pulling the leg of the British invaders.  Ancient people were unaware of the role of a woman's egg until recent history as well ... they thought by analogy, that the seed was entirely male, and that the woman was like a furrowed soil.  Until relatively recently science didn't know exactly what was going on, until the invention of the microscope.  So yes, I am sure that cavemen had microscopes so they could make the connection between sex and childbirth.  Everything connected to that, premodern ... was old wive's tales, literally.  Midwife lore.  Men had as little to do with it as possible.

So yes, sometimes I am making a joke, other times I have justification for what I think.  I read a lot, skeptically.  Including the theology of idiot savants.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: Baruch on August 06, 2017, 06:13:58 PM
Cavebear ... exactly what I said.  If someone claims to know exactly how people related maritally 20,000 years ago, they are either an anthropologist making guesses, or they are yet another screaming girl companion of Dr Who.  But it is claimed, when British got to Australia, they Aborigines didn't know the connection between sex and childbirth.  They were until then the most isolated and backward people in Earth.  A kind of time capsule.  Of course one can claim, without any justification, that like the case of Margaret Mead, the natives were pulling the leg of the British invaders.  Ancient people were unaware of the role of a woman's egg until recent history as well ... they thought by analogy, that the seed was entirely male, and that the woman was like a furrowed soil.  Until relatively recently science didn't know exactly what was going on, until the invention of the microscope.  So yes, I am sure that cavemen had microscopes so they could make the connection between sex and childbirth.  Everything connected to that, premodern ... was old wive's tales, literally.  Midwife lore.  Men had as little to do with it as possible.

So yes, sometimes I am making a joke, other times I have justification for what I think.  I read a lot, skeptically.  Including the theology of idiot savants.

Sorry Baruch, but you're the one that made the positive claim that early man hadn't figured out the connection between sex and procreation. I just asked you to define early man, which you never did, and said we didn't have a clue when that happened. Just that it was possible our ancestors figured that shit out a long time ago.

Baruch

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on August 06, 2017, 06:46:18 PM
Sorry Baruch, but you're the one that made the positive claim that early man hadn't figured out the connection between sex and procreation. I just asked you to define early man, which you never did, and said we didn't have a clue when that happened. Just that it was possible our ancestors figured that shit out a long time ago.

And I expanded ... it was anecdote from early Australia explorers.  You could deny that ... or claim a better anecdote.  And yes, barring contrary evidence, I supposed cavemen built starships and left us behind, before the Neanderthals destroyed the world with their smartphones ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on August 06, 2017, 06:46:18 PM

Well, you never know what people understand or what they pull your leg about.  I suspect modern humans anywhere understood clearly.  The question is more at what point the more ancient relatives did.  It WOULD show a certain thought process.

Did sex and birth connect among Australopithecines?  Probably not (and just an opinion based on culture).  Homo Erectus, maybe. 

Baruch

There is a whole SJW industry about protecting, post facto, the reputations of primitive tribes.  Like the idea that cannibalism never occurred (it did).  That human sacrifice never occurred (it did).  We still do human sacrifice, see modern war.  We would still do cannibalism, except we know that modern people have been accumulating pollutants (see DDT) all their lives, so they are unsafe to eat.  Europeans are also primitive tribes, just with better weapons.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.