Just got my 23andMe DNA analysis report

Started by PopeyesPappy, March 26, 2017, 01:02:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

Quote from: Colanth on July 21, 2017, 01:19:01 PM
Modern humans actually trace back to the Cradle of Humankind, paleoanthropological site about 50 kilometres northwest of Johannesburg, South Africa.  All of us.  (I don't know about Neanderthals and Denisovans yet - but they may have roots back there too.)

Modern humans are more complicated in origin than just one site.  It seems, given DNA studies, that modern humans are a blend of both several african groups and some DNA returning back into Africa from the Middle East.  Which itself was a blend of mixing in Central Asia (Denisovans) and East Europe Neandertals, and possibly some back-mating from Eastern India who were an early modern human immigration. 

It is called Multi-Regionalisn and (to me at least) based on the idea that any related hominids will mate in all directions wherever they meet.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Draconic Aiur

Im 3 percent South West Asian. It blew my mind.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on July 22, 2017, 03:13:29 AM
Modern humans are more complicated in origin than just one site.  It seems, given DNA studies, that modern humans are a blend of both several african groups and some DNA returning back into Africa from the Middle East.  Which itself was a blend of mixing in Central Asia (Denisovans) and East Europe Neandertals, and possibly some back-mating from Eastern India who were an early modern human immigration. 

It is called Multi-Regionalisn and (to me at least) based on the idea that any related hominids will mate in all directions wherever they meet.

Correct ... over 500,000 years, hominids moved around.  But the most modern form came from E Africa (a particularly fruitful area for new species).  10,000 years ago we were all pretty much equal hunter/gatherers, of various ancestries.  Agriculture developed because it could (end of Ice Age) and because of bio-geography.  Humans everywhere exploit their environment as best they can.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Draconic Aiur on July 22, 2017, 04:16:14 AM
Im 3 percent South West Asian. It blew my mind.

What that means, depends on when it happened.  My Y-chromosome is S W Asian ... N Fertile Crescent ... but that was 10,000 years ago.  Muslims and Jews didn't exist yet.  But if it is only 100 years ago, then you are a Muslim ;-)

A lot of N Africans and SW Asians got into Europe thru Spain during the Muslim occupation.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Colanth on July 21, 2017, 01:19:01 PM
Modern humans actually trace back to the Cradle of Humankind, paleoanthropological site about 50 kilometres northwest of Johannesburg, South Africa.  All of us.  (I don't know about Neanderthals and Denisovans yet - but they may have roots back there too.)
Lee Berger is the go-to guy these days. A fossil here, a fossil there, cool, yeah. Lee has found dozens of mostly complete skeletons in just two sites.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Colanth

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on July 22, 2017, 09:20:11 AM
Lee Berger is the go-to guy these days. A fossil here, a fossil there, cool, yeah. Lee has found dozens of mostly complete skeletons in just two sites.
From what I've been able to determine, evolution (at least human evolution) isn't a tree, it's not even a bush.  It's like a pot of overcooked spaghetti, with some of the crossing points melted together, so A, B and C went in, and d and e came out, but we really can't tell what created which.

And, as Cavebear said, it seems that back 50,000 years ago and more ("more" meaning a few million years), humans of all subspecies would mate with anything that held still long enough, which is where we get things like the part-modern-human, part-Neanderthal fossils we found in the Middle East a while back (but it wouldn't surprise me if we all carry some genes from a dozen or more different lineages).
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

AllPurposeAtheist

I don't really care what mine says..  Human mutt 99.99%, non-mutt .01%. I just assume my parents lied and I was actually raised by wolves before my first official memory, the wolves killed in a tragic skiing accident and I was adopted by some quasi religious group till mom and dad found me abandoned by the side of the road with a phoney birth certificate. Then again they might be my actual blood relative parents and nobody lied about anything. Either way not much I can do about it nor would I want to.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Cavebear

Quote from: Colanth on July 22, 2017, 02:47:59 PM
From what I've been able to determine, evolution (at least human evolution) isn't a tree, it's not even a bush.  It's like a pot of overcooked spaghetti, with some of the crossing points melted together, so A, B and C went in, and d and e came out, but we really can't tell what created which.

And, as Cavebear said, it seems that back 50,000 years ago and more ("more" meaning a few million years), humans of all subspecies would mate with anything that held still long enough, which is where we get things like the part-modern-human, part-Neanderthal fossils we found in the Middle East a while back (but it wouldn't surprise me if we all carry some genes from a dozen or more different lineages).

No I mean about 50K years ago (more or less being only a few tens of thousands of years).  The modern humans got into Europe 40K years ago and we have neandertal genes in us.  Guess how THAT happened?  And when...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on July 22, 2017, 03:57:57 PM
I don't really care what mine says..  Human mutt 99.99%, non-mutt .01%. I just assume my parents lied and I was actually raised by wolves before my first official memory, the wolves killed in a tragic skiing accident and I was adopted by some quasi religious group till mom and dad found me abandoned by the side of the road with a phoney birth certificate. Then again they might be my actual blood relative parents and nobody lied about anything. Either way not much I can do about it nor would I want to.

So you are Obama's missing brother? ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on July 22, 2017, 04:14:43 PM
No I mean about 50K years ago (more or less being only a few tens of thousands of years).  The modern humans got into Europe 40K years ago and we have neandertal genes in us.  Guess how THAT happened?  And when...

Not much Neanderthal ancestry in Africa.  But it existed in what is now the ME.  So ... when modern African people got to the ME around 70,000 years ago (after the big volcano (Lake Toba) ... they started mating with them.  And again and again, as African folks made it all the way to Spain and to China.  Aborigines in Australia are 40,000 years ago, they were already half-breeds, same as the first modern Europeans (who came from the ME, but before my Y-Adam came 5,000 years ago).  The Africans and ME folks moving into Europe now, are just repeating past events.

Braided cross-breeding or not ... none of the cave men were worth a damn.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Colanth

Quote from: Cavebear on July 22, 2017, 04:14:43 PM
We still don't know.  Neanderthal women preferred modern human men?  Modern human men were rapists?  About all we know is the general direction of flow, but reasons don't fossilize (or show up in genes).
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

Baruch

Quote from: Colanth on July 22, 2017, 05:28:16 PM
We still don't know.  Neanderthal women preferred modern human men?  Modern human men were rapists?  About all we know is the general direction of flow, but reasons don't fossilize (or show up in genes).

The current evidence is that modern human men mated with anything, including tree holes.  Also that Neanderthal men were more violent than modern human men, and so probably had to be killed off.  This is why all Y-chromosomes are modern humans ... but the autosomal DNA includes Neanderthal.  The part Neanderthal people tended to mate with modern human women, hence all M-chromosomes are also modern humans.  Of course Neanderthal women DNA would be there on 45 out of 46 nuclear chromosomes ... including the X chromosome.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Colanth on July 22, 2017, 05:28:16 PM
Could have been just the normal woman swapping. Even early humans understood marrying your sister was a bad idea, though not why.
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on July 22, 2017, 05:51:42 PM
Could have been just the normal woman swapping. Even early humans understood marrying your sister was a bad idea, though not why.

Also early men didn't understand the connection between sex and children.  The pregnancy of women was simply women's magic.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.