News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Afterlife

Started by PickelledEggs, June 10, 2013, 07:19:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solitary

Quote from: "Colanth"
Quote from: "Solitary":-k  I didn't exist before I was born---or did I? How would I know I didn't? If I didn't before is a fact, why is it not possible I could again and again and again just like before? The universe has no boundary and just is with no beginning or end so is eternal, so if that is so, maybe every sub atomic particle that can't be destroyed that got arranged to make me can do it again.  :shock:  Solitary
Gould said that if we rewound everything and did it all over again it would turn out differently.  He was talking about evolution, but it applies here too.

Spoil sport! I did turn out different than I was before, I was a unicorn before.  :shock:  Bill
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Colanth

And remember, if the Chicxulub meteorite had been delayed by a few minutes, we might have dinosaurian ancestors.  Who knows what little piece of space junk might affect it just a little differently next time?
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

Rin Hato

I'm angry at death. Super angry. How dare death come along and kill me! But the way I see it, when someone dies, that's it. They die. They're not gone, but they're dead.

I wish that I was a full cyborg. Then I wouldn't have to worry about it because machines don't die like we do.
Obieru kono te no naka niwa taorareta hana no yuuki.

WitchSabrina

yeah   :sigh:  I know you guys are right:  death=done.   But I still want more.
What's that old sayin?

Wantin aint gettin
 :rollin:
I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.

AllPurposeAtheist

I don't want an afterlife. 70 years is quite enough regrets and I damned sure don't need a billion years worth of reminders..
"You fucked up Marty.." over and over and over and over and over and over...

ENOUGH ALREADY! I'm fuckin sorry! OK? :evil:
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

WitchSabrina

Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"I don't want an afterlife. 70 years is quite enough regrets and I damned sure don't need a billion years worth of reminders..

Well now.... you didn't 'fuck up' with us.  So that must apply somewhere else.  Here you are loved, my friend.  Save that upset for the assholes of your life.  (hug)
I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: "WitchSabrina"
Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"I don't want an afterlife. 70 years is quite enough regrets and I damned sure don't need a billion years worth of reminders..

Well now.... you didn't 'fuck up' with us.  So that must apply somewhere else.  Here you are loved, my friend.  Save that upset for the assholes of your life.  (hug)
Oh stop trying to ruin my phony outrage. :lol:

Satt

My thought on this matter is that since I don't remember what it was like before I was born and that doesn't bother me, that it will be the same when I die. I won't know that i'm dead, so it won't bother me.  :Hangman:  :lol:
Quote from: \"the_antithesis\"We\'re a bunch of twats on the internet. We can\'t help you. You should see a psychologist.

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: "Satt"My thought on this matter is that since I don't remember what it was like before I was born and that doesn't bother me, that it will be the same when I die. I won't know that i'm dead, so it won't bother me.  :Hangman:  :lol:
but...but...but what IF we're wrong? What IF there really IS a loving, forgiving, benevolent god who burns us all for eternity for not being utterly perfect? :lol:

jenluvsjere

I have seen a lot of death unfortunately. I have started to ignore it and push those thoughts out of my mind. I will find myself drifting toward thinking about death and particular people and quickly change my thoughts. I know it's probably not THE best way of coping, but it has worked for me. One way I like to consider it is: people are transient, and that is something I have to accept, but I have found that even after an important person dies, you always seem to meet people who are just as amazing to fill their place (so to speak). After a certain person died, I fell into a state of despair and thought I'll never be able to replace this person and no one is comparable. I later found out just how wrong I was. There are so many people out there for you to meet and befriend. I actually think being an atheist helped me with accepting that. I don't believe in spirits and so I literally think there are a ton of people I could potentially develop friendships/relationships with.

In terms of myself, I am definitely afraid to die. I think I would prefer to keep myself busy and avoid pondering on it too much. You know it is inevitable so why waste such a short life spending time thinking about that.

Satt

Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"
Quote from: "Satt"My thought on this matter is that since I don't remember what it was like before I was born and that doesn't bother me, that it will be the same when I die. I won't know that i'm dead, so it won't bother me.  :Hangman:  :lol:
but...but...but what IF we're wrong? What IF there really IS a loving, forgiving, benevolent god who burns us all for eternity for not being utterly perfect? :lol:

This sounds really familiar. Are you taking a stab at me?  [-X  :wink:
Quote from: \"the_antithesis\"We\'re a bunch of twats on the internet. We can\'t help you. You should see a psychologist.

Johan

Quote from: "WitchSabrina"yeah   :sigh:  I know you guys are right:  death=done.   But I still want more.
What's that old sayin?

Wantin aint gettin
 :rollin:
I get that and I think I'm right there with you. I readily accept that death=off because doing otherwise just feels like I'm trying to fool myself. But there is definitely a part of me that wants to see what's going to end up happening 120 years from now. And 180 years from now and 450 years from now and so on and so on.

But at the same time, I absolutely mean what I said earlier. The thought of having to exist for eternity is really disturbing to me. It not at all something I'd enjoy.

I just want to see what cars we're driving, or more likely are driving themselves 80 years from now. And I want to see government/society/popular culture turns into. And although I'm quite sure I'll hate it, I want to hear what the music is like.

I want to see what its like to have an iphone implanted in your eye that responds to your thoughts and projects its data right onto your retina. Actually I'll likely live to see that. But that just makes me want to see what its like when enjoying your iphone being implanted in your eye makes you an old fart who doesn't want to change with the times. Ah shit, I could conceivably live to see that too (damn you Moore's law) but you know what I mean. I want to see what life and society is like good, bad or otherwise, when life and society have gone through so many evolutions that no one alive today could possibly imagine the result.

Also I want to be a ghost so I can follow people home and see them naked. Ok not really. Actually that's the last thing I'd want. No one is sexy then they're alone in their house. Most of the time, they're disgusting and kind of gassy.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

Rin Hato

The sooner I can become a robot, the better.
Obieru kono te no naka niwa taorareta hana no yuuki.

Jason78

Quote from: "WitchSabrina"I may be the only person here who wants reincarnation.  

Depends.  How much say do I get when I come to roll a new character?
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Jason78

Quote from: "Rin Hato"I wish that I was a full cyborg. Then I wouldn't have to worry about it because machines don't die like we do.

When machines die, there's usually a spark and then all the magic blue smoke escapes.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato