North Carolina repeals transgender bathroom bill...sort of

Started by Hydra009, March 31, 2017, 06:05:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

Me in June 2016:  "I predict this bill will be dead by the end of this year"   :doh:
Clearly, I am no Hari Seldon.  But I was *only* 4 months off.  That's not that far off, right guys?

Anyways, on to the article:

QuoteGov. Roy Cooper, a Democrat, signed legislation repealing the law after it was approved by the Republican-controlled legislature. House Bill 2 had restricted the ability of municipalities to enact anti-discrimination policies and required transgender people in government and public buildings to use the bathroom that corresponds with the gender on their birth certificate.

In addition to repealing House Bill 2, the new law gives the General Assembly the sole power to regulate access to “multiple occupancy restrooms, showers or changing facilities.” It also creates a moratorium on local nondiscrimination ordinances through 2020.

The compromise agreement came amid a looming threat that the N.C.A.A., which had already relocated a year’s worth of championship tournament games from the state, was planning to eliminate more, including future men’s Division I basketball tournaments. It was met with bitter criticism from gay rights groups, which said it was barely a repeal at all, and from conservatives, who said it backtracked on protecting public safety and traditional values.

QuoteOn Thursday, the American Civil Liberties Union and Lambda Legal, a gay rights group, called the compromise a “fake” repeal bill that “keeps in place the most harmful parts of the law.” The Human Rights Campaign and other gay rights groups called the deal “shameful” and accused the governor and the legislature of engaging in a “sell out” of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people.

Some religious and cultural conservatives denounced the removal of transgender bathroom provisions. Tony Perkins, president of the Family Research Council, based in Washington, said the compromise showed that “elected officials are ultimately willing to surrender to the courts and the N.C.A.A. on matters of safety and public policy.” Others argued that girls and women would be robbed of privacy and dignity if forced to confront biological men in restrooms.

Gay rights advocates said that the moratorium on local anti-discrimination ordinances, combined with the absence of a statewide anti-discrimination law addressing sexual orientation and gender identity, would leave lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people at risk of continued discrimination.

“That, to me, is astonishing, that we’re going to make L.G.B.T. people wait another four years to be protected from being fired because they’re gay,” said Chris Fitzsimon, director of NC Policy Watch, a liberal group.

There appeared to be some disagreement about the freedom that local governments would have to pass protections for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people under the new law. Mr. Cooper said that local governments were now free to “pass protections for their L.G.B.T. employees.”

Cathryn Oakley, senior legislative counsel for the Human Rights Campaign, said she did not believe that was the case. “I don’t think the language supports that,” she said.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/30/us/north-carolina-senate-acts-to-repeal-restrictive-bathroom-law.html

I don't really know how to feel about this.  Instead of a full repeal, we have this awkward compromise that apparently isn't very clear.  It is pretty galling that there's now a moratorium on local anti-discrimination ordinances, but if as Cooper says, local governments can pass LGBT protections (wouldn't that count as a local anti-discrimination ordinance??) then that'd be an okay outcome.

The positive news is now North Carolina might stop hemorrhaging money from companies that refuse to do business here.  Note the might.  Some, maybe all of them, could continue the boycott.  Or they might all drop the boycott.  Too early to tell.

QuoteA Virginia case that might have settled the matter was scheduled to be heard by the United States Supreme Court, but when President Trump’s Justice Department rescinded the guidelines, the justices in March sent it back to a lower court to decide.
Thanks for the help, Trump.  He criticized HB2 as a presidential candidate, but as prez, nothing but the sound of crickets chirping.  In fact, his administration might've actively prevented HB2 from being struck down at court.

Baruch

Trump is full MIC now.  Saw the real Zapruder film.  Nuclear war with China or with Russia.  Meanwhile on the domestic front ... more red meat to the mob.  My boss says, easy to handle the bathroom situation.  Make all of them one person, with a locking door.  No group bathrooms at all.  Then anyone can go in, get privacy, and come out to let the next "it" in.  We won't do the obvious, because we are ... assholes.  Also this would mean more fairness for women, because then the line would be equally long, it would be the same line, outside every restroom.

Legislatures love to sling some crap together, then let the courts interpret it for the next 20 years.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Gilgamesh

Quote from: Baruch on March 31, 2017, 06:16:27 PM
Trump is full MIC now.  Saw the real Zapruder film.  Nuclear war with China or with Russia.  Meanwhile on the domestic front ... more red meat to the mob.  My boss says, easy to handle the bathroom situation.  Make all of them one person, with a locking door.  No group bathrooms at all.  Then anyone can go in, get privacy, and come out to let the next "it" in.  We won't do the obvious, because we are ... assholes.  Also this would mean more fairness for women, because then the line would be equally long, it would be the same line, outside every restroom.

Legislatures love to sling some crap together, then let the courts interpret it for the next 20 years.

Bitch I need to interpret the shit that comes outta your mouth for 20 years.

Baruch

Quote from: Gilgamesh on March 31, 2017, 08:30:14 PM
Bitch I need to interpret the shit that comes outta your mouth for 20 years.

A secret decoder ring comes with every Kosher Kracker-Jacks box ;-)  Or are you missing the context.  If I have no quote, then it is to the post directly above it (I hope).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.