Being of low intelligence (among other things)

Started by MyelinSheath, March 22, 2017, 04:51:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on March 25, 2017, 02:44:07 AM
At 16, I was mowing army base grass at minimum wage.  On weekends I pumped gas at less than minimum wage.  At 18, I got myself into college and wasted all that money because political activism was a LOT more interesting.  But it got me a real job and I eventually went back to college and got my degree.  Not because it gained me anything at my job but because I WANTED IT!

I won't even bother to insult you.

Why am I not surprised at your youth?  Congratulations on growing up a little.  The Vietnam War vets got much better grades than I did, because they were 10 years older, and had seen the real world ... homework wasn't much a problem compared to pungee pits.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Mermaid

Quote from: MyelinSheath on March 22, 2017, 07:48:55 PM
Getting professional help for depression is like a drug addict going to rehab. It works rarely. These people can't change the core of who you are, which is where your tendencies and behavior stem from. They can make temporary differences at best, but the good results will undoubtedly fade and I'll be back to my old self again.
Absolutely, patently false.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Cavebear

Quote from: Mermaid on March 25, 2017, 11:46:23 AM
Absolutely, patently false.

I agree.  Getting mental health assistance is just the same as getting physical health assistance.  Professionals know what they are doing.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Solomon Zorn

Quote from: Cavebear on March 26, 2017, 06:28:28 AM
I agree.  Getting mental health assistance is just the same as getting physical health assistance.  Professionals know what they are doing.
No! No! No! Mental health treatment, is SO much less advanced or effective, than "physical" health, that we are basically still in the psychiatric Dark Ages. Beware of antidepressants: going off them is worse than going off crack. Also watch out for some anti-psychotics, like Risperdal and Serequel. They cause some extreme side effects.

That being said, a therapist might be helpful.
If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

Mermaid

They aren't there to make you change at all. And there does not have to be something wrong with you to see one.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Cavebear

Quote from: Solomon Zorn on March 26, 2017, 08:19:45 AM
No! No! No! Mental health treatment, is SO much less advanced or effective, than "physical" health, that we are basically still in the psychiatric Dark Ages. Beware of antidepressants: going off them is worse than going off crack. Also watch out for some anti-psychotics, like Risperdal and Serequel. They cause some extreme side effects.

That being said, a therapist might be helpful.

I meant that receiving mental health treatment should be no more a concern than getting physical treatment.  Neither should be considered any sort of shame.  Yes, the skills for treating seem to be less for mental health, but they are improving.   

Mike Cl

Does anybody else think this guy is a troll??  I think he is.  He tells us he is worthless and can't learn or do anything.  Yet his writing skills are actually pretty good, as is his vocabulary.  I would not be surprised is somewhere along the line he will find the 'light' and turn into another Pops.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

MyelinSheath

Quote from: Mike Cl on April 03, 2017, 10:11:21 AM
Does anybody else think this guy is a troll??  I think he is.  He tells us he is worthless and can't learn or do anything.  Yet his writing skills are actually pretty good, as is his vocabulary.  I would not be surprised is somewhere along the line he will find the 'light' and turn into another Pops.
I'm not. But I can see why it seems that way.

Mike Cl

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: MyelinSheath on March 22, 2017, 07:48:55 PM
Getting professional help for depression is like a drug addict going to rehab. It works rarely. These people can't change the core of who you are, which is where your tendencies and behavior stem from. They can make temporary differences at best, but the good results will undoubtedly fade and I'll be back to my old self again.
As long as you believe that it will be true.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: Mike Cl on April 03, 2017, 10:11:21 AM

Who are you referring to?  "This guy" is rather vague.