Being of low intelligence (among other things)

Started by MyelinSheath, March 22, 2017, 04:51:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MyelinSheath

I've always been depressed, lazy, and incompetent. I'm never happy, and I never accomplish anything. I hate work, and I hate dealing with people. I also struggle to solve basic problems and perform basic feats of thinking. All I ever want to do is lay in bed and ponder, just dwell on whatever the thought is for that day.

There's also a side of me who wants to desperately to be educated and to accomplish great things. For the past five years or so (and to a large extent all my life, but especially in the past five years) I've wanted to attend a prestigious school, become very well-educated, start a great career, etc... but the time has obviously past for me. I'm 26 years old and I'm just too old for the college thing.

I currently attend a community college that I barely stay afloat at. My mind always wants to think that I can succeed with anything, but when it gets down to actually doing it, I fail every single time. I have an extensive record of failing grades going all the way back to kindergarten.

In high school I barely passed. I think my GPA was 1.6. My teachers passed me with Ds because they didn't want to have me again.

After high school I went to this local crappy university near my  home because it was the only place I could get into (and only as a conditional admit). I spent three years there and never made it beyond freshman status because I flunked every single class. I was eventually kicked out permanently due to failing grades.

After this I spent four years working dead end jobs until I had the epiphany that education is what I wanted, and I decided I would turn it all around, go back to college (somewhere), make an outstanding performance, and succeed for once in my life, so I enrolled in the community college I'm currently attending.

This plan went well for the first couple of semesters. Now I'm back to the same old stuff. The material is getting more challenging, and I can't seem to hold my own with it.

I was 24 when I enrolled here, and my plan at the time was to spend two years at this community college, make outstanding grades, and transfer to a prestigious college, whichever one would take me. But now I've seen that rising to such a challenge is not something I'm capable of doing.

Now I'm 26, which is too old to even try for this goal anymore, and its not even looking like I'll be able to attend even a less prestigious university.

I don't know why I'm so incompetent and incapable of basic accomplishments. I mean, I'm further behind even the ditziest dumb blondes I went to high school with. Everyone else I know has either finished college or learned a useful trade that is making them sucessful. I still live at home and have no skills, apparently no education (as I can't even survive basic college courses), and no glimpse of hope in tackling any of my goals/dreams. I'm too old to do them by this poit as well.

I've also tested my IQ before and I always test around 85-90. It appears that I'm just a defective brain, stuck in the dungeons of incompetence forever.

Solomon Zorn

Quote from: MyelinSheath on March 22, 2017, 04:51:05 PM
I've also tested my IQ before and I always test around 85-90. It appears that I'm just a defective brain, stuck in the dungeons of incompetence forever.
For someone with such a low IQ, you compose your posts very articulately, and cohesively.

I suffer from Schizophrenia. I have had to deal with trying to find joy, in a sometimes joyless situation. I find that my physical well being, contributes strongly to my emotional well being. An intestinal-gas bubble can ruin my whole fucking mood, because it temporarily consumes my focus. Focusing on the pain will do that. Self-image is kind-of similar. If I focus on my shortcomings, then I feel useless.

You don't have to be smart or attractive to have a worthwhile life. Humans will reciprocate brotherly love, when they see it in someone else. If you give, eventually someone will give back.

And 26, is VERY YOUNG, Brother...don't give up on romance, just yet.
If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

Mr.Obvious

90 isn't that low an IQ. 100 is average, but most people are a bit lower or a bit higher. And if you believe most people, they'll all convince you they are above average intelligence. At leas you are honest about it. Besides, IQ isn't everything. Diligence, hard work and commitment can get you much further. IQ is just a base gift, doesn't say anything about how you use it and nurture it.

Now, sheath, without knowing you very well, I'm gonna give you one more piece of advise along THE lines of what I said in your intro thread. : stop putting yourself down.
There's a whole world of dog-eat-dog out there willing to do that for you. It does that to us all. Don't you keep following that shit.
And learn to love yourself, and others Will follow. Don't go for pitty, there is hardly any in THE world and it leaves a bitter aftertaste.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Sorginak

It seems to me that rather than seek answers from a forum you should perhaps speak to a professional who is better qualified to assist you. 

MyelinSheath

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on March 22, 2017, 06:06:35 PM
90 isn't that low an IQ. 100 is average, but most people are a bit lower or a bit higher. And if you believe most people, they'll all convince you they are above average intelligence. At leas you are honest about it. Besides, IQ isn't everything. Diligence, hard work and commitment can get you much further. IQ is just a base gift, doesn't say anything about how you use it and nurture it.
Bullshit

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: MyelinSheath on March 22, 2017, 06:16:29 PM
Bullshit

Is it? My brother has an IQ of 100 tops (having scored just under a few times), and he got a phD. He's coming home from sweden tomorrow, where he was working on an international and promissing project. He did well academically, but not because he was gifted at birth.
It's because he learned he needed to buckle down twice as hard to do the same work, but did it anyway.
On the other hand, I have three cousins with 'above average' inteligence and 'gifted-ness'. One is currently still putting it to good use and even he is not living up to the full potential he says he could do. The other two are 'squandering' the gift that others decided early in their life they had.

Stop hating yourself for what you feel you've been cheated out of. Stop envying what you don't have. Look at what you do have. And do everything you can to make it work to what you feel is best. If, at the end of the day you still don't reach your goals; then fuck it, at least you can hold your head high knowing you tried.

Baruch

"I don't know why I'm so incompetent and incapable of basic accomplishments." ... I disagree, and I have genius level IQ.  Also IQ tests (and Mensa) are bullshit.  If blondes are so dumb, you should be able to get a date easily, since most of them will have lower IQ than you.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Sorginak

Ironically, those with the highest IQs tend to be the laziest, with a plethora of mental issues to go along with it, which prevents them from performing to their fullest potentials. 

I was blessed with a high IQ, yet I have done absolutely nothing with my life.  Also, I suffer from social anxiety and depression.

MyelinSheath

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on March 22, 2017, 06:24:44 PMLook at what you do have.
Not a god damn thing. Every single thing I've ever set out to do has failed. And naturally, as someone who gets overly excited about potentially big things that are about to happen, I hype everyone up about it, only for it to be a false alarm every single time. Everyone expects false alarms from me now after crying wolf hundreds of times. I'm just horse shit. Nothing more.

Baruch

Quote from: Sorginak on March 22, 2017, 06:28:17 PM
Ironically, those with the highest IQs tend to be the laziest, with a plethora of mental issues to go along with it, which prevents them from performing to their fullest potentials. 

I was blessed with a high IQ, yet I have done absolutely nothing with my life.  Also, I suffer from social anxiety and depression.

Usually high (male) intelligence is part of the autistic spectrum disorder.  And autism may be caused by genetics, gestational, labor event, or infancy problems.  Keep at it, you can change yourself ... you can't change anyone else anyway.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

MyelinSheath

Quote from: Baruch on March 22, 2017, 06:35:19 PM
Usually high (male) intelligence is part of the autistic spectrum disorder.  And autism may be caused by genetics, gestational, labor event, or infancy problems.  Keep at it, you can change yourself ... you can't change anyone else anyway.
I'm tired of trying. Almost 10 solid years of trying and I still haven't even completed a god damn associates degree from a shitty community college.

Baruch

Quote from: MyelinSheath on March 22, 2017, 06:31:45 PM
Not a god damn thing. Every single thing I've ever set out to do has failed. And naturally, as someone who gets overly excited about potentially big things that are about to happen, I hype everyone up about it, only for it to be a false alarm every single time. Everyone expects false alarms from me now after crying wolf hundreds of times. I'm just horse shit. Nothing more.

You may have a "time" disorder.  Some people when they have an idea, get so excited, they feel as if they have already accomplished it.  This defuses all their motivation (which would be normal if they had already done it).  In some languages, that don't clear distinguish between "present" action and "future" action ... both the speaker and the hearer can get confused as to the chronological facts of the matter.

On the other hand, having an idea, having an enthusiasm is normal.  You are at play, you aren't supposed to accomplish anything.  The point of playing with toys, isn't to learn anything, it is to have a good time.  Anything learnt is incidental.  And the more sophisticated the individual, the more sophisticated their play.  You may be too advanced in some ways, not backward ... but that puts you at odds with normal reality.  Do you do any art?  You seem like a potential nerd, not a potential geek.  Nerds flourish with unstructured play.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: MyelinSheath on March 22, 2017, 06:31:45 PM

To quote a guy I've met recently:

QuoteBullshit

Not in regards to how you believe others see you. I don't know you, nor the people you know. Could be, could be just your warped perception. I don't know. I won't say.

But Bullshit that you have nothing. You can't think of anything, maybe. But bullshit. You're you, Sheath. You are a human being with hopes and dreams and talents even if you've been burying them under self-pity. And there is only one way to get through that pile.

Start digging. Start digging now.
And don't stop digging until you find something. No matter how deep you need to go. No matter how long you need to keep at it. And never forget that by digging, you are breaking the negative spiral itself.
How else can you start respecting yourself? Self-pity is easy. Self-respect is hard. It's it's own foundation, but it takes effort none the less. It doesn't appear by itself, but earning it for yourself is more than worth it. 

Now don't take the easy road. I don't want to hear excuses from you.

Dig.

Baruch

Quote from: MyelinSheath on March 22, 2017, 06:38:15 PM
I'm tired of trying. Almost 10 solid years of trying and I still haven't even completed a god damn associates degree from a shitty community college.

Have you considered that ... it is a shitty community college?  That the problem isn't you?  Also, people learn verbally, visually and kinesthetically.  I have met smart people, who couldn't sit thru a 5 minute lecture.  Have you considered that you should be doing something else, and by being fixated on the wrong goal, you simply are being masochistic?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

MyelinSheath

I'm lazy, I hate work, I hate responsibility, and I FUCKING HATE authority. I can't keep a job for more than a couple of weeks because I hate the fact that I HAVE to be there from x to y time, I HAVE to do and say things according to x rules, and I may be disciplined if I don't. I hate getting up in the morning. I love to be alone and to sit around pondering. I have no work ethic at all. I despise work. For these reasons I'm suicidal almost every day because I just can't cope with reality. I hate it.