News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

No Such Thing As A Free Lunch

Started by Xerographica, March 22, 2017, 12:01:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

Quote from: Xerographica on March 30, 2017, 04:50:46 PM
My friend teaches 4th grade.  Her class has a blog... Classtopia.  How much are you willing to pay the first of her students who successfully memorizes the entire list of presidents?
Pay the kid directly?  And timed?  Dafuq??  I dunno what kind of stuff you're on, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't work that way.

Instead of whatever's going on in your libertarian fantasy world, my solution is just to adequately fund education (yes, through taxes) and give kids a decent education across the board.  Pretty radical solution, eh?

And yes, a tiny portion of that will go to giving Timmy a basic civics education.  As opposed to you know, not doing that.

You might wonder why I would care about primary schools at all since I don't have any kids.  Well, here's why:

Xerographica

Quote from: Hydra009 on March 30, 2017, 05:10:56 PM
Pay the kid directly?  And timed?  Dafuq??  I dunno what kind of stuff you're on, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't work that way.

Instead of whatever's going on in your libertarian fantasy world, my solution is just to adequately fund education (yes, through taxes) and give kids a decent education across the board.  Pretty radical solution, eh?

And yes, a tiny portion of that will go to giving Timmy a basic civics education.  As opposed to you know, not doing that.

You might wonder why I would care about primary schools at all since I don't have any kids.  Well, here's why:
It seems like you really want to argue about necessity of taxpayers funding education.  My advice would be to find a libertarian.  You might try the Ron Paul Forums. 

Baruch

Quote from: Hydra009 on March 30, 2017, 01:43:04 PM
Well, there you go.  Instead of people pitching in and society at large funding education - even people who don't have any kids - little Timmy (the 12-year-old parasite) doesn't get a single red cent from the generous, noble libertarian.  And thus we get a libertarian utopia free of want and misery, somehow.

Libertarian utopia ... those who have much, get it all.  Those who have little ... loose it all.  Proof?  Parable of Talents from the NT.  Do you know what a talent is?  A weight of metal around 66 ibs or 30 kilos.  That is a lot of gold or silver.  Has nothing to do with whether you are smart or skillful ... it has to do with banking.  And yes ... somehow = hidden hand ... of graft and influence.  But of course, Jesus was talking about treasure in Heaven, not on Earth.  Prosperity Gospel never gets that.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Xerographica on March 30, 2017, 04:50:46 PM
My friend teaches 4th grade.  Her class has a blog... Classtopia.  How much are you willing to pay the first of her students who successfully memorizes the entire list of presidents?

I knew all the states and state capitals before starting first grade.  Nobody paid me anything.  I must be some awful communist!  Ayn Rand much?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Xerographica

Quote from: Baruch on March 30, 2017, 07:13:02 PM
I knew all the states and state capitals before starting first grade.  Nobody paid me anything.  I must be some awful communist!  Ayn Rand much?
When I was in the first grade my grandfather paid me $100 dollars to memorize the 91st Psalm.  I've long since forgotten it and just read it again.  It's amazing that God sounds exactly like the government. 

Baruch

Quote from: Xerographica on March 30, 2017, 07:35:12 PM
When I was in the first grade my grandfather paid me $100 dollars to memorize the 91st Psalm.  I've long since forgotten it and just read it again.  It's amazing that God sounds exactly like the government.

Spoiled from the get-go.  I got 50 cents per week allowance.  He should have just given you a trillion dollar coin, and exiled you to the galaxy of spoiled children ;-)  Also give him his money back ... or just leave it on his tombstone, you clearly didn't fulfill the reason he asked you to memorize it.

It is silly asking children to memorize scripture, in a translation, of ancient poetry, of an alien culture ... without a lifetime of study first.  One is never done studying, even a single word, even a single syllable.  The point being, that we are to be transformed, not act as tape recorders (see children who memorize the whole Quran in Arabic).  See Fahrenheit 451.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMBu6RUMJg0

At the end, the heroes who escape worldly society, become the book they memorize.  They aren't tape recorders, they are transcendent beings ... which they are not, in worldly society.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Xerographica

Baruch, what was the point of Cain and Abel making sacrifices?

Baruch

Quote from: Xerographica on March 30, 2017, 07:44:18 PM
Baruch, what was the point of Cain and Abel making sacrifices?

That would take several years to describe, beginning with the original language, and an imaginative recreation of the culture (not Edenic) where the story had some meaning.  It clearly has no meaning to modern people ... who are Gentile, atheist or secular, who think that it is good to do whatever seems right in their own eyes, and then rationalize how sophisticated they are.

Do you understand sacrifice?  Do you understand magic?  I mean, other than simply denying them?  And lets not talk about this G-d fellow, that simply would take an eternity, literally.

Starting at Genesis 4:3
.וַיְ×"Ö´, מִקֵּץ יָמִים; וַיָּ×'ֵא קַיִן מִפְּרִי ×"ָאֲ×"ָמָ×", מִנְחָ×"--לַי×"וָ×"
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Sorginak

Quote from: Baruch on March 30, 2017, 07:55:39 PM
That would take several years to describe.

Not really.

Primitive minds created primitive ways to appease what they perceived as gods in the sky.

Baruch

Quote from: Sorginak on March 30, 2017, 07:58:35 PM
Not really.

Primitive minds created primitive ways to appease what they perceived as gods in the sky.

Then with your pan-galactic mind ... even read phonetically the Hebrew what I posted?  Yes, compared to the Galactic Empire of the future, we are just bugs.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Xerographica

Baruch and Sorginak I give you both a D-.  Here's the correct answer...

Cain sacrificed some fruit, veggies and grains to God. Abel, on the other hand, sacrificed a lamb to God. Abel was willing to make a bigger sacrifice. From this God divined that Abel felt much deeper gratitude for God’s blessings than Cain did.

A little later on in the Bible, Abraham was willing to sacrifice his only son Isaac to God.  Abraham was willing to make a huge sacrifice.  His willingness to pay (WTP) such a steep price effectively transmitted information about the incredible intensity of his preference for God. 

In the new testament we see the culmination of the idea of sacrifice as communication when God sacrifices his only son in order to save the world.  His WTP effectively transmitted information about the incredible intensity of preference... aka "Love"... for the world. 

Imagine if we replaced the economic definition of "Love" (sacrifice) with the democratic definition of "Love" (voting)... "For God so loved the world that he voted for it..."  This would transmit barely any information about the intensity of God's preference for the world.  We'd be largely ignorant about God's true love for the world. 

For anybody who is interested in a coherent Biblical story... things are a bit tricky.  For sure, we really aren’t mind-readers. However, King Solomon believed that God was a mind-reader… “for thou, even thou only, knowest the hearts of all the children of men.” Clearly this would make sacrifice an entirely unnecessary way for humans to communicate with God. 

Baruch

Quote from: Xerographica on March 30, 2017, 08:02:27 PM

Cain sacrificed some fruit, veggies and grains to God. Abel, on the other hand, sacrificed a lamb to God. Abel was willing to make a bigger sacrifice. From this God divined that Abel felt much deeper gratitude for God’s blessings than Cain did.

A little later on in the Bible, Abraham was willing to sacrifice his only son Isaac to God.  Abraham was willing to make a huge sacrifice.  His willingness to pay (WTP) such a steep price effectively transmitted information about the incredible intensity of his preference for God. 

In the new testament we see the culmination of the idea of sacrifice as communication when God sacrifices his only son in order to save the world.  His WTP effectively transmitted information about the incredible intensity of preference... aka "Love"... for the world. 

Imagine if we replaced the economic definition of "Love" (sacrifice) with the democratic definition of "Love" (voting)... "For God so loved the world that he voted for it..."  This would transmit barely any information about the intensity of God's preference for the world.  We'd be largely ignorant about God's true love for the world. 

For anybody who is interested in a coherent Biblical story... things are a bit tricky.  For sure, we really aren’t mind-readers. However, King Solomon believed that God was a mind-reader… “for thou, even thou only, knowest the hearts of all the children of men.” Clearly this would make sacrifice an entirely unnecessary way for humans to communicate with God.

Gentile language summary, the info from 2000 years of Gentile homily.  I suppose you intuit French culture, thru French literature, while knowing no French?  mon Dieu!

And yes, people who actually know what they are talking about, spiritually (not religiously) know that communicating with G-d is unnecessary.  The point of prayer is to enunciate out loud, something to your inner self.

And to the moderators ... no, I don't intend on giving Bible lessons in the original languages, not even in the Religion section ;-))
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Sorginak

Quote from: Xerographica on March 30, 2017, 08:02:27 PM

As I already stated: primitive minds create primitive fiction.

Baruch

Quote from: Sorginak on March 30, 2017, 08:10:04 PM

But this is your mistake ... you don't regard yourself as primitive.  We all are.  But you are part of the Annunaki, right?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Xerographica

Quote from: Sorginak on March 30, 2017, 08:10:04 PM
The fiction was the correlation between sacrifice and blessings.  Right now we allow elected representatives to spend our taxes for us.  You think there's a correlation between this system and blessings.  But do you have any proof of this?  Well there's an abundance of schools and roads and defense.  Yet, the existence of blessings isn't proof that our system is the cause.  Our system has never been scientifically tested.  Therefore... yeah... primitive minds create primitive fiction. 

Do you want to prove that your mind isn't primitive?  Are you interested in actually testing our system?  We could easily use this website to do so. 

1. We all pay a very reasonable monthly fee
2. We decide for ourselves which threads we spend our fees on
3. After a reasonable time, we elect one member to spend our fees for us

Then we'll all decide for ourselves whether our blessings increased as a result of...

A. making sacrifices directly to our favorite threads
B. allowing an elected representative to direct our sacrifices for us