News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

I, too, noticed this a while back:

Started by Gilgamesh, March 21, 2017, 02:03:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gilgamesh

Although I wouldn't say it becomes right wing, no. It's not conservative in nature. Rather I'd say that any social media wherein one can say literally anything without fear of banishment, becomes very anti-leftism. It's the same reason why theists can only exist online in heavily moderated areas where all dissent is met with censorship. Their ideas need protection from reason. So, too, do mainstream 'progressive' ideas.

Thoughts?

Mr.Obvious

Could be, this is the only forum I frequent. Doesn't give me much insight.
What I can say is that I think that if we didn't have our mods, I think we'd have more spammers and trolls than actual members.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Baruch

Yes, we would be awash with used Bible salesmen, like the lead character in Paper Moon ... except for the moderators.  A nuclear reactor needs moderators, Atheistforum.com is a useful atomic reaction, not a China Syndrome.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Atheon

Without moderation, a forum becomes a morass of trolling.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

PickelledEggs

"leftist ideas cannot exist without censorship and moderation"

Well, yeah, because the left has it's extreme left and it's fucking marxist as hell, to the point that it's as bad as being a nazi. They're thought police.

You know, it's funny. I'd actually agree with this screenshot, but it's not because I think uncensored thoughts are conservative, it's because the left immediately casts them out as conservative, because they don't fit their rhetoric

PickelledEggs

I've said this once and I'll say it again. The extreme left are as bad (or worse) than the extreme right. They are what created the alt-right, after all. If you're going to call white people bigoted and racist and generalize all of them like that, just for being white, of course there is going to be an opposition. Even if there wasn't one prior. It will manifest in a response.

And no. This isn't the whole of the Left. It's a small minority, but it's a very loud minority and it's done a lot of damage to our culture.

PickelledEggs

Have you ever had someone start yelling at you for what you thought was no reason? and where there was no problem before, even despite that what that person was saying was completely off base about you, you felt the need to defend yourself? Think about it and think back. I guarantee it's happened to every one of you. It could be as simple as someone at a bar yelling at you for flirting with his girlfriend, when you weren't even talking to her at all. It's the same thing here. If someone is fighting against an opposition, even if the opposition isn't there, the people they identify and are demonizing as the opposition, whether they are actually doing those things or not will fight back and create an opposition.

Journey_To_Mars

You know, in the past few months I've actually started looking at the outside world and it's politics. I've find it amazing that there are a few people who have some version of thought-crime in their ideas.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

"It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets." - Voltaire

Maths is a game where you make the rules and play around within them.

Baruch

Quote from: Journey_To_Mars on March 22, 2017, 05:00:30 PM
You know, in the past few months I've actually started looking at the outside world and it's politics. I've find it amazing that there are a few people who have some version of thought-crime in their ideas.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Their thoughts are criminal, or they are thinking of persecuting others for what they think are thought crimes?  Please see the movie Brazil for pointers.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Journey_To_Mars

Quote from: Baruch on March 22, 2017, 06:24:11 PM
Their thoughts are criminal, or they are thinking of persecuting others for what they think are thought crimes.  Please see the movie Brazil for pointers.
I just find the idea that someone would want to persecute someone for their ideas rather than actual action to be preposterous.
"It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets." - Voltaire

Maths is a game where you make the rules and play around within them.

Baruch

Quote from: Journey_To_Mars on March 22, 2017, 06:29:22 PM
I just find the idea that someone would want to persecute someone for their ideas rather than actual action to be preposterous.

It is.  Putting people in shackles, and whipping them to do your bidding ... is micromanagement.  Worrying about their hostile thoughts while you are giving them free motivation lessons .. is nano-management ;-(
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Hijiri Byakuren

Ironically, this screenshot is from /r/The_Donald, and the discussion thread has a shit-ton of posts removed by the moderators. :lol:
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

The Skeletal Atheist

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on March 23, 2017, 08:23:18 PM
Ironically, this screenshot is from /r/The_Donald, and the discussion thread has a shit-ton of posts removed by the moderators. :lol:

Shhhhhh....you're ruining the narrative!
Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: The Skeletal Atheist on March 23, 2017, 08:28:47 PM
Shhhhhh....you're ruining the narrative!
Which narrative? I have been variously accused of ruining narratives left and right (har).
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Gilgamesh

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on March 23, 2017, 08:23:18 PM

The screenshot is from 4chan..