News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Opinions on Deathbed visions?

Started by Manga, March 18, 2017, 05:15:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trdsf

Quote from: Solomon Zorn on March 23, 2017, 04:59:06 PM
Facilitated by the viewer's own brain, but the origin of the pattern, can be outside  of yourself...at least that has been my experience. Perception. Is it valid, to the one perceiving it, or not?
Oh, I only meant that such visions are not driven by *completely* external (and allegedly supernatural) forces.  I would still say the source is internal since it's going to be driven by the meaning it has to the perceiver.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on March 23, 2017, 06:57:28 PM
Oh, I only meant that such visions are not driven by *completely* external (and allegedly supernatural) forces.  I would still say the source is internal since it's going to be driven by the meaning it has to the perceiver.

Based on the experiences of my dying parents, I would have to say that memories become random (less organized even than a typical dream state), slightly more vocal (when vocalizations are physically possible), and very confused. 
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Solomon Zorn

Quote from: trdsf on March 23, 2017, 06:57:28 PM
I know what you meant, Brother. But the weird shit that I have heard and seen, just seems too real, to dismiss as Schizophrenia.
If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

trdsf

Quote from: Solomon Zorn on March 24, 2017, 08:16:17 PM
I know what you meant, Brother. But the weird shit that I have heard and seen, just seems too real, to dismiss as Schizophrenia.
Oh, it's not schizophrenia, it's just the (mis)firings of a complex organ under powerful stress.  There's no pathology involved at all -- well, unless it's actually happening on one's deathbed, but then you've got much bigger problems than not thinking clearly.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on March 25, 2017, 12:09:00 AM
Oh, it's not schizophrenia, it's just the (mis)firings of a complex organ under powerful stress.  There's no pathology involved at all -- well, unless it's actually happening on one's deathbed, but then you've got much bigger problems than not thinking clearly.

The conscious brain resists death.  It will do almost anything to maintain itself.  It's what we ARE mostly (as humans) beyond being just apes.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on March 25, 2017, 02:26:08 AM

The conscious brain resists death.  It will do almost anything to maintain itself.  It's what we ARE mostly (as humans) beyond being just apes.

Willful apes, just not lazy apes.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.