News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Opinions on Deathbed visions?

Started by Manga, March 18, 2017, 05:15:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Solomon Zorn on March 19, 2017, 03:54:39 PM
LSD ain't got nothin' on this shit, Baruch. The "visitation," that started it off, was way beyond any kind of hallucination. My ex-girlfriend had been hearing my voice talking to her, for days, and came to me with the problem. We went for a drive, and to make a long story short, the ghostly future-me took control of steering the car, turned the windshield into a "movie-screen," and showed us scenes from my future. Hours of time went by, while the two of us witnessed this. When it was done, only a few seconds of actual time had passed, and one car had passed us on the road.

You should have made it into a script, sold it to Hollywood, with Tom Cruise playing you ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Solomon Zorn

Quote from: Baruch on March 19, 2017, 07:50:38 PM
You should have made it into a script, sold it to Hollywood, with Tom Cruise playing you ;-)
If it weren't for the peripheral embarrassment, that an autobiography would cause, I would probably write one. But Tom Cruise - no.

That gives me an idea:
http://atheistforums.com/index.php?topic=11447.msg1171664#new
If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

Unbeliever

The title of the thread says it all - "Opinions on Deathbed visions?" That's all anyone can have is opinions. My own opinion is no better than anyone else's, but I think they're just physiological responses to imbalances in the neurotransmitter system in the brain.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on March 21, 2017, 06:21:29 PM
The title of the thread says it all - "Opinions on Deathbed visions?" That's all anyone can have is opinions. My own opinion is no better than anyone else's, but I think they're just physiological responses to imbalances in the neurotransmitter system in the brain.

You are also describing wife beating and voting ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on March 21, 2017, 07:07:15 PM
So you say...

Have you stopped beating your President?  Answer only yes or no ;-)  The Americans are like the Honeymooners ... Jackie Gleason's character actually did hit Alice "to the Moon" back during the Apollo missions.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Solomon Zorn

Quote from: Baruch on March 22, 2017, 12:00:05 AM
Have you stopped beating your President?  Answer only yes or no ;-)  The Americans are like the Honeymooners ... Jackie Gleason's character actually did hit Alice "to the Moon" back during the Apollo missions.
I just liked this post for the fucking off-the-wall beauty of it...

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on March 18, 2017, 09:52:10 PM
If you have your own NDE or paranormal experience, good for you.  I don't believe in hallucination as ... false.  I consider human experience to be subjective and primary.  But I wouldn't seek them out.  The only reason for wanting to be different, is because you want to be special.  Ordinary experience is supernatural ... you don't need anything else.
The deathbed experiences of the dying are non-factual.  When my mother was dying, she said all sorts of non-facts as her brain failed.  I assume her brain was unspooling in an odd way  They weren't embarrassing family things, just nonsense.  I think her last thoughts were about old movies, but it wasn't clear.  Dad held her in her last moments.  He said she had no idea where or who she was.  Dad died the same way several years later.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Solomon Zorn

My Dad's mother, died two years after he did, on the same date. My aunt reported, that in her last hours she was talking to my dad, as well as his brother and sister, who had preceded him in death.

Although I feel I can safely rule out any all-powerful God, I don't completely discredit the possibility of an afterlife, or more probably, a between-life.

Baruch

Quote from: Solomon Zorn on March 22, 2017, 04:53:18 AM
I just liked this post for the fucking off-the-wall beauty of it...

inspired by a cartoon ... posted by someone else, on another thread here.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Solomon Zorn on March 22, 2017, 05:34:47 AM
My Dad's mother, died two years after he did, on the same date. My aunt reported, that in her last hours she was talking to my dad, as well as his brother and sister, who had preceded him in death.

Although I feel I can safely rule out any all-powerful God, I don't completely discredit the possibility of an afterlife, or more probably, a between-life.

Nothing is real, unless repeated in controlled circumstances, by qualified professionals.  Could you get some zombie experts to resurrect them, and have them die again, several times, so see if the paranormal stuff is repeated?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

trdsf

Stress brings on remarkable reactions, even when not near death one's self.  I would have sworn I saw my uncle in my mom's kitchen with a mug of coffee in his hand, eight hours after I watched him die in the hospital.  I know I didn't actually see him, but it was a remarkably realistic experience that my emotional state treated me to, and it was helpful since my mind's eye gave me him when he was still healthy.

So yeah, people see things, but they need to look inside for the source of the vision.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Solomon Zorn

Quote from: trdsf on March 23, 2017, 03:38:47 PM...So yeah, people see things, but they need to look inside for the source of the vision.
Why?

trdsf

Quote from: Solomon Zorn on March 23, 2017, 04:42:58 PM
Why?
That's where their visions are coming from -- unless someone happened to physically be in the room.  I meant inside quite literally, not figuratively, since any such vision/hallucination will be generated by the viewer's own brain.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Solomon Zorn

Quote from: trdsf on March 23, 2017, 04:46:22 PM
That's where the viewer's visions are coming from -- unless someone happened to physically be in the room.  I meant inside quite literally, not figuratively, since any such vision/hallucination will be generated by the viewer's own brain.
Facilitated by the viewer's own brain, but the origin of the pattern, can be outside  of yourself...at least that has been my experience. Perception. Is it valid, to the one perceiving it, or not?