Do you think atheism will ever become the norm?

Started by MyelinSheath, March 17, 2017, 02:34:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Drew_2017 on March 20, 2017, 11:01:39 PM
I'm a WWI WWII Civil war buff which means I watch a lot of TV documentaries and read a few books on the subject. The most irrational...and yet arguably the bravest acts were men relentlessly marching into the line of fire. I don't know if under that circumstance I'd mentally collapse or just find myself unable to make my limbs continue to march forward. The securing of Iwo Jima was as savage fighting as could be imagined yet the persevered for nearly a month to secure that five mile island.   

Gawdzilla Sama is an expert in US history (we mostly agree).  I am more of a general historian.  Why don't you talk about that, in the History section?

For many of us, myself included, have family members who were in service.  The son ... of the second man my grandmother married, died on Iwo Jima (this was about a year before she married him).  I have visited his grave (the son).  Did you see the two related movies done by Clint Eastwood?  I am related to her first husband, and consider her third husband the "grandfather" I knew ... the third husband served in WW II in N Africa with Patton and later in the ME in Iraq and Iran.  My father-in-law served in the War Dept during WW II.  My mother and that same grandmother, were Rosies during WW II.  My older brother and older male cousin both served in Vietnam, and a cousin my mother's age served in Korea.  I have been associated with the military as a contractor, for half my life, originally with the Cold War.  Gawdzilla Sama is a 20 year Navy man.

But speaking of marching into fire ... ever hear of the Battle of the Somme?  Europeans are much more aware of WW I than Americans.  One of that same grandmother's older brothers, was in France in 1918 .. the war ended as he was being marched from Paris to the Ardennes.  There was a mini-movie about the Ardennes, not as classic as All Quiet On The Western Front, but The Lost Battalion.  For the last couple years my WW II interests have centered on espionage ... which now has good unclassified documentation never before available.  Though the recent movie on Alan Turing was only half historical, The Imitation Game.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

War may be rational, but it is never wise.  The Germans in WW I - WW II were rational.  Wisdom and reason don't share notes.  If your axioms are unwise ... no amount of reason will save you.  Wisdom is the sometimes result of long experience, converted into an intuition hat the young are up to no good ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Drew_2017

Quote from: Baruch on March 20, 2017, 11:27:22 PM
Gawdzilla Sama is an expert in US history (we mostly agree).  I am more of a general historian.  Why don't you talk about that, in the History section?

For many of us, myself included, have family members who were in service.  The son ... of the second man my grandmother married, died on Iwo Jima (this was about a year before she married him).  I have visited his grave (the son).  Did you see the two related movies done by Clint Eastwood?  I am related to her first husband, and consider her third husband the "grandfather" I knew ... the third husband served in WW II in N Africa with Patton and later in the ME in Iraq and Iran.  My father-in-law served in the War Dept during WW II.  My mother and that same grandmother, were Rosies during WW II.  My older brother and older male cousin both served in Vietnam, and a cousin my mother's age served in Korea.  I have been associated with the military as a contractor, for half my life, originally with the Cold War.  Gawdzilla Sama is a 20 year Navy man.

But speaking of marching into fire ... ever hear of the Battle of the Somme?  Europeans are much more aware of WW I than Americans.  One of that same grandmother's older brothers, was in France in 1918 .. the war ended as he was being marched from Paris to the Ardennes.  There was a mini-movie about the Ardennes, not as classic as All Quiet On The Western Front, but The Lost Battalion.  For the last couple years my WW II interests have centered on espionage ... which now has good unclassified documentation never before available.  Though the recent movie on Alan Turing was only half historical, The Imitation Game.

Yes I saw the movies and the movie American Sniper. I was in the USN myself but never went into actual war time duty. Did you see the recent documentary where they have now truly identified all the men in the famous flag raising photo on Iwo Jima?
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
Albert Einstein

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jex6k2uvf9aljrq/theism.rtf?dl=0

Baruch

The double flag raising ... was covered in one of Clint Eastwood's movies about Iwo Jima.  Of course some of it might be disputed, because many of those involved, died is subsequent fighting.  But the second flag raising, as filtered thru war propaganda, was a big boost to American morale.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

I think that the vast majority of those who claim to believe in "God" do not, in fact, believe in God. At least, they sure don't act like they do. Like all those pedophile priests - how could they believe God was watching them do those terrible things, and yet do them anyway?
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on March 21, 2017, 06:59:42 PM
I think that the vast majority of those who claim to believe in "God" do not, in fact, believe in God. At least, they sure don't act like they do. Like all those pedophile priests - how could they believe God was watching them do those terrible things, and yet do them anyway?

but ...
Know Yourself
To Thine Own Self Be True
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on March 21, 2017, 06:59:42 PM

I suspect most people DO believe in a deity.  At least they seem to fear one greatly for possible eternal punishment.  Enough to bow and pray and worry.

Personally, I think that theism with eternal punishment is the worst concept ever created by humankind and has warped our societies with more fear and hatred than all other causes.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!