Do these experiences of "seeing" Jesus give Christianity more clout?

Started by Manga, March 16, 2017, 08:21:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

No ... Christians don't read the Bible.  Atheists quoting scripture however ... that is funny!

SGOS ... that condition is called "rapture of the deep" for a reason ... you meet Prince Namor ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: Baruch on March 23, 2017, 12:42:58 PM
No ... Christians don't read the Bible.  Atheists quoting scripture however ... that is funny!

SGOS ... that condition is called "rapture of the deep" for a reason ... you meet Prince Namor ;-)
[/quote
According to my Dictionary of Nautical Terms (OK it's a book of humor written in a dictionary format), rapture of the deep is the delusion one experiences when he fills his den with nautical memorabilia, but never takes his boat out on the water.  He just sits in his den reading books on seamanship and imagines he's sailing around the world and battling gales off the Cape and around the Horn.  It's funnier when you can see the illustration that goes with it.

trdsf

If it isn't repeatable and independently verifiable, it's not evidence.

If it's strictly based on someone's word, it's also not evidence.

Simple.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Sorginak

I have not read the entire bible, but I have read what Christians adhere to most of all, at least from what I learned when I had a lapse in judgement and became part of the church community in my youth, and that tends to be the first five books of the Old Testament, the first four books of the New Testament, and then the last book which is Revelations. 

Cavebear

Quote from: Sorginak on March 24, 2017, 02:13:32 AM
I have not read the entire bible, but I have read what Christians adhere to most of all, at least from what I learned when I had a lapse in judgement and became part of the church community in my youth, and that tends to be the first five books of the Old Testament, the first four books of the New Testament, and then the last book which is Revelations.

I read the entire Christian bible several times (and others).  They were dreadful, stupid, cruel, and inane. 
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

AllPurposeAtheist

I suspect that it has more to do with culture and the press than anything based on reality. In this country, US you can draw pictures of what you think Jesus looks like, you can publicly say it's all a load of shit and nothing will happen to you unless some nutcase takes offense and shoots you, but in many Muslim nations the same behavior might get your head chopped off so very few people are willing to say that they saw the profit in a dream or otherwise. Here you say it and you might just get on the front page of the newspaper and get 1000s of followers. Hell, find Jesus on a piece of toast and sell it on ebay..  Try selling big Mo on toast in Saudi Arabia and see where it gets you. I don't think it's going to fatten your wallet.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on March 24, 2017, 10:02:05 AM
I read the entire Christian bible several times (and others).  They were dreadful, stupid, cruel, and inane.

Yeah .. you are more of a Washington DC Alphabet Agency Yellow Pages guy ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on March 24, 2017, 10:25:09 AM
I suspect that it has more to do with culture and the press than anything based on reality. In this country, US you can draw pictures of what you think Jesus looks like, you can publicly say it's all a load of shit and nothing will happen to you unless some nutcase takes offense and shoots you, but in many Muslim nations the same behavior might get your head chopped off so very few people are willing to say that they saw the profit in a dream or otherwise. Here you say it and you might just get on the front page of the newspaper and get 1000s of followers. Hell, find Jesus on a piece of toast and sell it on ebay..  Try selling big Mo on toast in Saudi Arabia and see where it gets you. I don't think it's going to fatten your wallet.

That's ONE reason why I'm posting from the US and not Saudi Arabia...  LOL!

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on March 24, 2017, 12:39:19 PM
Yeah .. you are more of a Washington DC Alphabet Agency Yellow Pages guy ;-)

Do you work at these nonsensical posts yourself, or do you subcontract someone?

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on March 25, 2017, 02:17:35 AM
Do you work at these nonsensical posts yourself, or do you subcontract someone?

Glad you are enjoying them.  I do them for you.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.