Supreme Court Justice Alito: Gays treat conservative Christians ‘as bigots’

Started by Sorginak, March 16, 2017, 01:43:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sorginak

QuoteThe U.S. is entering a period when its commitment to religious liberty is being tested, Supreme Court Justice Samuel Alito told an audience Wednesday at an event sponsored by a Catholic lawyers’ organization.

Alito used his own words from his dissent in the Supreme Court’s landmark same-sex marriage case, telling the gathering he had predicted opposition to the decision would be used to “vilify those who disagree, and treat them as bigots.”

“We are seeing this is coming to pass,” he said, then mentioned Bob Dylan’s famous song lyric, “You don’t need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.”

“A wind is picking up that is hostile to those with traditional moral beliefs,” Alito said.

https://www.lgbtqnation.com/2017/03/supreme-court-justice-alito-gays-treat-conservative-christians-bigots/

What is it with every idiotic theist carrying one of these in their wallets:

SGOS

Quote from: Sorginak on March 16, 2017, 01:43:09 PM
https://www.lgbtqnation.com/2017/03/supreme-court-justice-alito-gays-treat-conservative-christians-bigots/
Alito used his own words from his dissent in the Supreme Court’s landmark same-sex marriage case, telling the gathering he had predicted opposition to the decision would be used to “vilify those who disagree, and treat them as bigots.”
Not all Christians are bigots.  Many are intensely bigoted.  Believing that any morality not their own and that those who fall outside that morality don't deserve equal treatment fits the description of a bigot.  Bigots want the power to make others conform to their moral code, and as such, they are defined as bigots.

I find Alito's remarks laughably ironic.  Paraphrased, "We are not bigots.  We just believe in denying rights to those we disagree with."  Maybe someday, he will read his own words and think, "OMG!  What was I thinking," but I doubt it.

Solomon Zorn

Quote...then mentioned Bob Dylan’s famous song lyric, “You don’t need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.”
Okay, this is a little weird, and completely irrelevant to the  discussion, but "Subterranean Homesick Blues"(the song that line is from) is the last song that I listened to today, prior to reading this thread.

That asshole, twisting my favorite line from that song, makes me sick.
If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

Baruch

Yes, Conservative Christians ... are usually bigots.  They won't be treated that way by gays etc ... when they stop being the usual bigots.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Solomon Zorn

If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

Hydra009

I'm genuinely curious as to how conservatives thought this would play out.

* Gay people lobby for equal marriage rights with increasing success.
* Conservatives call them sexual deviants and claim that their lobbying is tantamount to "destroying" marriage.
* Conservatives lose the debate and gay marriage goes national.
* Conservatives stunned at being called bigots and find their "traditional values" to be poorly regarded by non-conservatives.

What other outcome did they expect?

Munch

This is why secularism is the only course to go, since religious and political beliefs form a bubble around you, unable to think outside that bubble.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Baruch

Quote from: Munch on March 16, 2017, 07:52:21 PM
This is why secularism is the only course to go, since religious and political beliefs form a bubble around you, unable to think outside that bubble.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaFvc3blWp4

Don't diss bubbles ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Atheon

Hmmmm, I wonder why, Alito.

Maybe it's because conservative Christians ARE bigots toward gay people. Surprise, surprise!
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote“A wind is picking up that is hostile to those with traditional moral beliefs,” Alito said.

Good.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

Quote from: Hydra009 on March 16, 2017, 07:47:56 PM

* Conservatives call them sexual deviants and claim that their lobbying is tantamount to "destroying" marriage.
* Conservatives stunned at being called bigots and find their "traditional values" to be poorly regarded by non-conservatives.

I don't know what they actually expected, but what you described is exactly how I expected they would react. 

Bigots that I know, don't consider themselves bigots.  They consider themselves justified because they never considered anything else.  When they are challenged, their narrow mindedness shows up as a dim light in the back of their brain.  They need to react, often times by entrenching themselves deeper into their bigotry.

I also anticipated the evolution of the debate to turn out as it did.  Bigots first opposed gay marriage because it was biblically wrong.  When more and more people started to question that particular biblical teaching, the bigots opposed gay marriage because it would weaken traditional marriage.  These first two were attempts to claim the moral high ground (who would defy god, or de-sanctify the holiness of traditional marriage?) 

When both of those failed, their last attempt was to show their true colors:  "We must be allowed to exert power over gays, and refuse to treat them as equals, because of our deep religious convictions." 

Here they are letting the cat out of the bag and making it obvious about the bigotry of their beliefs, but just as I anticipated, they still can't see their bigotry.  Instead, they claim to be acting under the direction of an imaginary 3rd party.  But I think as the underlying bigotry of their position becomes more and more obvious, it will eventually lead to a moment of clarity leading to a revelation of self.  It hasn't happened yet, and I don't expect it to happen to every bigot.  But I believe a few who are willing to honestly self evaluate will have an experience of self understanding, and rethink their previous position. 

Basically, society is experiencing a collective moment of clarity as we speak, although it's not a sudden insight.  It's more like a millennium of slowly dawning clarity, resulting in a slowly evolving understanding of gays, and tilting the attitude of the collective consciousness in favor of acceptance, combined with a rejection of previous bigoted assumptions.

Munch

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Cavebear

Quote from: Hydra009 on March 16, 2017, 07:47:56 PM

Conservatives always think they are "The Silent Majority". 
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on March 17, 2017, 09:57:04 AM
I don't know what they actually expected, but what you described is exactly how I expected they would react. 

Bigots that I know, don't consider themselves bigots.  They consider themselves justified because they never considered anything else.  When they are challenged, their narrow mindedness shows up as a dim light in the back of their brain.  They need to react, often times by entrenching themselves deeper into their bigotry.

I also anticipated the evolution of the debate to turn out as it did.  Bigots first opposed gay marriage because it was biblically wrong.  When more and more people started to question that particular biblical teaching, the bigots opposed gay marriage because it would weaken traditional marriage.  These first two were attempts to claim the moral high ground (who would defy god, or de-sanctify the holiness of traditional marriage?) 

When both of those failed, their last attempt was to show their true colors:  "We must be allowed to exert power over gays, and refuse to treat them as equals, because of our deep religious convictions." 

Here they are letting the cat out of the bag and making it obvious about the bigotry of their beliefs, but just as I anticipated, they still can't see their bigotry.  Instead, they claim to be acting under the direction of an imaginary 3rd party.  But I think as the underlying bigotry of their position becomes more and more obvious, it will eventually lead to a moment of clarity leading to a revelation of self.  It hasn't happened yet, and I don't expect it to happen to every bigot.  But I believe a few who are willing to honestly self evaluate will have an experience of self understanding, and rethink their previous position. 

Basically, society is experiencing a collective moment of clarity as we speak, although it's not a sudden insight.  It's more like a millennium of slowly dawning clarity, resulting in a slowly evolving understanding of gays, and tilting the attitude of the collective consciousness in favor of acceptance, combined with a rejection of previous bigoted assumptions.

No one ever considers themselves "bigots".  They are convinced they are right and their views are correct.  Then the majority disagrees, they either decide the majority isn't the majority or that the majority needs to "learn the truth".

I watched a Republican Congressman on TV a couple days ago who said that you can't maintain a civilization with "other people's babies".  That was so dumb.  He didn't even realize that he was suggesting eugenics.

Lastly, it amazes me when really conservative people bring out the vaguest arguments in their support.  When facts fail, they suggest social breakdown.  And what it THAT other than "not what they like"?
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Yes, eugenics is coming ... the public isn't ready for it yet.  We used to have that policy in the US, the Germans were copying us.  And it was, and will be ... bipartisan.  National security y'know!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.