News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Any Krishnamurti Fans Out There?

Started by etienne, March 15, 2017, 06:07:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

etienne

I am just throwing out this topic quickly, I will add to the OP as I go.  Just wondering if there is anyone out there who is familiar with this particular and very interesting religious, sociopolitical philosopher/ "enlightened being"?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jiddu_Krishnamurti
The Revolution does not fall like an apple when it is ripe:  you have to MAKE it fall...

Baruch

Krishnamurti is sophisticated.

कृष्णमà¥,र्ति à¤...त्याधुनिक है

A more intellectual version of Gandhi.  Have you listen to his YouTubes?  Or read his books?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

etienne

Quote from: Baruch on March 15, 2017, 06:34:16 AM
Krishnamurti is sophisticated.

कृष्णमà¥,र्ति à¤...त्याधुनिक है

A more intellectual version of Gandhi.  Have you listen to his YouTubes?  Or read his books?
I read my first Krishnamurti book, "The Awakening of Intelligence", about 35 years ago when I was ~23 and just out of college.  An acquaintance recommended it.  Kind of blew me away in some regards and I generally agreed with about everything he was saying, though much of it requires "practice" and is fairly difficult to grasp--in a real sense.  His rejection of all religions and clergy and "gurus" resonated with me.  I have met only 3 other people in my lifetime that know about and have a keen interest in K.

I've read most of his books, which get rather repetitive, but that was years ago.
The Revolution does not fall like an apple when it is ripe:  you have to MAKE it fall...

Baruch

Quote from: etienne on March 15, 2017, 06:43:11 AM
I read my first Krishnamurti book, "The Awakening of Intelligence", about 35 years ago when I was ~23 and just out of college.  An acquaintance recommended it.  Kind of blew me away in some regards and I generally agreed with about everything he was saying, though much of it requires "practice" and is fairly difficult to grasp--in a real sense.  His rejection of all religions and clergy and "gurus" resonated with me.  I have met only 3 other people in my lifetime that know about and have a keen interest in K.

I've read most of his books, which get rather repetitive, but that was years ago.

Well I appreciate him a lot, but haven't spent much time on him.  Should this be in the religion section or the philosophy section?  He personally knew of abuse from the "guru" game.  I am cross-cultural, so smart people from any place or time are interesting, particularly how they transcended their place or time.  I would be happy for you to share your memories how his ideas impacted you.  And yes, the Hindi was just me being cheeky.

In my case, in our senior college year, we got Alan Watts' book, The Book.  This was his take on Vedanta Hinduism.  I had already read about Zen before that.  Non-Western cultures have greatly contributed to who I am ... less of an echo chamber.  As a Jewish Kabbalist, I am basically a kosher guru.  These people and the ideas that they popularized, had a huge impact on me.

For others who don't know him, and won't just dismiss him as not being Sam Harris ...
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

etienne

Quote from: Baruch on March 15, 2017, 07:03:20 AM
Well I appreciate him a lot, but haven't spent much time on him.  Should this be in the religion section or the philosophy section?  He personally knew of abuse from the "guru" game.  I am cross-cultural, so smart people from any place or time are interesting, particularly how they transcended their place or time.  I would be happy for you to share your memories how how his ideas impacted you.  And yes, the Hindi was just me being cheeky.

In my case, in our senior college year, we got Alan Watts' book, The Book.  This was his take on Vedanta Hinduism.  I had already read about Zen before that.  Non-Western cultures have greatly contributed to who I am ... less of an echo chamber.  As a Jewish Kabbalist, I am basically a kosher guru.  These people and the ideas that they popularized, had a huge impact on me.

For others who don't know him, and won't just dismiss him as not being Sam Harris ...
Well, it's not a particular religion, but K discusses religion generally as being "bad for ya".  He was not a philosopher in the sense of representing a particular "school" of thought. 

He was born into the whole Theosophical/Blavatsky thing and was, like a Dalai Lama, alleged by them to be the "Chosen Messiah","Avatar", to bring "Enlightenment to Mankind", blah blah blah.  He rejected it all as being a giant scam, Madam Blavatsky as the charlatan she was, and thus set forth to "bring down" religions and the various clergy as a whole, in the world.  As per his culture, he had a particular distain for "gurus" and "fakirs" who he viewed as being mostly charlatans.

He did, however, attain, or was born with, this "self realized", "Nirvanna" type thing, which he speaks about rather cryptically.  So, in that sense he had some recognition of some sort of "Divinity" out there, in there, somewhere.  One of his central themes was the breaking down of mental imagery in conjunction with the inner dialogue that forms the filtered perception of people's minds while approaching, viewing the material world and interpersonal relationships.

I never looked into Watt's much as I was into other Hindu/Buddhist teachers at the time.  This guy, Eknath Easwaran was my fav.  The Yogananda thing didn't really resonate with me and his protege, "Kriyananda", is kind of a strange dude.  Gurumayi had alot of appeal to me, I knew a few of her followers.  I met her once at their ashram in Woodstock, NY, and she is HOT!

I always liked Zen, as long as they aren't wacking you on the back with a bamboo swatch.  Zen was Nazified, "weaponized", during WWII as Hirohito deemed himself the 'Zen God King".  Just goes to show ya....

Kabbalism, what little I know of it, is probably the most batshit crazy stuff I've encountered.  That Baphomet guy/gal/goat is a FREAK!

Baruch

Well, Kabbalah is a kind of Tantra ... because Jewish people aren't ashamed of sex.  So transgression, in specific controlled ways, is what we do.

Yes, I do enjoy Eknath.  Did you ever read Ram Das?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

etienne

Quote from: Baruch on March 15, 2017, 12:08:40 PM
Well, Kabbalah is a kind of Tantra ... because Jewish people aren't ashamed of sex.  So transgression, in specific controlled ways, is what we do.

Yes, I do enjoy Eknath.  Did you ever read Ram Das?
Not much Ram Das, no.  Rashneesh is a weird dude, too.  Saw some of his ex-peeps dreesed in orange and purple walking around the streets of Seattle in the late 80's when they got their digs in OR shutdown.  Amassing AK-47s and Uzis and Rolls Royces will do that to ya, lol!

Atheon

The reluctant messiah.

He was picked by Theosophists as a "chosen one" and pushed into becoming the future "world teacher". Ironically, he did end up teaching us things, partly as a result of his rejection of this absurd "destiny".
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Baruch

Quote from: Atheon on March 15, 2017, 01:07:53 PM
The reluctant messiah.

He was picked by Theosophists as a "chosen one" and pushed into becoming the future "world teacher". Ironically, he did end up teaching us things, partly as a result of his rejection of this absurd "destiny".

If Jesus had been a real person, he would have done the same.  Christianity is a scam that has nothing to do with him.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

etienne

Quote from: Baruch on March 15, 2017, 06:28:50 PM
If Jesus had been a real person, he would have done the same.  Christianity is a scam that has nothing to do with him.
Didnt Dawkins finally "sign off" on Jesus being a real person?

Baruch

Quote from: etienne on March 15, 2017, 07:54:37 PM
Didnt Dawkins finally "sign off" on Jesus being a real person?

You may like this ...
https://richarddawkins.net/2015/06/the-jesus-question-a-conversation-with-dr-robert-m-price/

I would agree with Dr Price.  But ultimately for me it is irrelevant.  I consider history to be story telling, not factual at all.  And that is an ultimate reason why I can't be a Marxist ... it is tied to the fallacy of historicism.

http://www.catholicherald.co.uk/commentandblogs/2011/10/28/professor-dawkins-thinks-that-jesus-today-would-have-been-an-atheist-but-would-dawkins-have-paid-any-attention-to-him/

Dawkins in 2011 seems to support a historical Jesus, or is it just a rhetorical foil?

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

etienne

Quote from: Baruch on March 15, 2017, 10:58:03 PM
You may like this ...
https://richarddawkins.net/2015/06/the-jesus-question-a-conversation-with-dr-robert-m-price/

I would agree with Dr Price.  But ultimately for me it is irrelevant.  I consider history to be story telling, not factual at all.  And that is an ultimate reason why I can't be a Marxist ... it is tied to the fallacy of historicism.

http://www.catholicherald.co.uk/commentandblogs/2011/10/28/professor-dawkins-thinks-that-jesus-today-would-have-been-an-atheist-but-would-dawkins-have-paid-any-attention-to-him/

Dawkins in 2011 seems to support a historical Jesus, or is it just a rhetorical foil?
Me thinks yer losing it, Spinoza.  WWII, never happened.  Dubya never bombed Iraq.  No 9/11.  No impact on today's "story.  Okie dokie artichokie.  Masons dont exist either and Muddy Waters never sang the blues.

Jesus is dead, either way.

Baruch

Actually nothing did happen, as it is told to us schmos.  You can't read ... history isn't what happened, it is the lies the victors tell ... starting with the biggest liar of all, Herodotus.  Something did happen, each and every year.  But what did happen, I don't know, because I have been under the psyops of the CIA from before I was born, no less than a Soviet citizen was under the KGB.

And yes, for various reasons I am exactly like my chosen avatar.  Modern Jew, but not the same as him.  I am pleased that you have read, or otherwise figured out that much.  In some respects, Spinoza fathered modernity on an unwilling Gentile horde.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

etienne

Quote from: Baruch on March 15, 2017, 11:07:49 PM
Actually nothing did happen, as it is told to us schmos.  You can't read ... history isn't what happened, it is the lies the victors tell ... starting with the biggest liar of all, Herodotus.  Something did happen, each and every year.  But what did happen, I don't know, because I have been under the psyops of the CIA from before I was born, no less than a Soviet citizen was under the KGB.

And yes, for various reasons I am exactly like my chosen avatar.  Modern Jew, but not the same as him.  I am pleased that you have read, or otherwise figured out that much.  In some respects, Spinoza fathered modernity on an unwilling Gentile horde.
There are actually facts.  Dubya stood on a Navy shipt some yrs ago and lied.  That is a fact.  Yer losing it Spinny.

Baruch

Quote from: etienne on March 15, 2017, 11:25:26 PM
There are actually facts.  Dubya stood on a Navy shipt some yrs ago and lied.  That is a fact.  Yer losing it Spinny.

Yes, I saw it on TV, same as the Starship Enterprise.  I wasn't there, so I can't say it actually happened ... or if he lied or not.  Unless you know Trump personally, like say I know my coworkers .. you don't know if Trump exists or not ... he might as well be Jesus or Satan or Goldilocks ;-)  We have a poster here who thinks he is Papa Bear ;-))
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.