Author Topic: Being of low intelligence (among other things)  (Read 246 times)

Offline Baruch

Re: Being of low intelligence (among other things)
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2017, 09:07:47 AM »
At 16, I was mowing army base grass at minimum wage.  On weekends I pumped gas at less than minimum wage.  At 18, I got myself into college and wasted all that money because political activism was a LOT more interesting.  But it got me a real job and I eventually went back to college and got my degree.  Not because it gained me anything at my job but because I WANTED IT!

I won't even bother to insult you.

Why am I not surprised at your youth?  Congratulations on growing up a little.  The Vietnam War vets got much better grades than I did, because they were 10 years older, and had seen the real world ... homework wasn't much a problem compared to pungee pits.
שלום

Offline Mermaid

« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2017, 11:46:23 AM »
Getting professional help for depression is like a drug addict going to rehab. It works rarely. These people can't change the core of who you are, which is where your tendencies and behavior stem from. They can make temporary differences at best, but the good results will undoubtedly fade and I'll be back to my old self again.
Absolutely, patently false.
We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea, whether it is to sail or to watch - we are going back from whence we came.

John F. Kennedy

Offline Cavebear

« Reply #32 on: Today at 06:28:28 AM »
Absolutely, patently false.

I agree.  Getting mental health assistance is just the same as getting physical health assistance.  Professionals know what they are doing.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead

Offline Solomon Zorn

« Reply #33 on: Today at 08:19:45 AM »
I agree.  Getting mental health assistance is just the same as getting physical health assistance.  Professionals know what they are doing.
No! No! No! Mental health treatment, is SO much less advanced or effective, than "physical" health, that we are basically still in the psychiatric Dark Ages. Beware of antidepressants: going off them is worse than going off crack. Also watch out for some anti-psychotics, like Risperdal and Serequel. They cause some extreme side effects.

That being said, a therapist might be helpful.
« Last Edit: Today at 08:25:17 AM by Solomon Zorn »
If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com