News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

If you would...

Started by reasonist, March 14, 2017, 10:26:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trdsf

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on March 21, 2017, 10:18:41 AM
I actually have a side-question for this thread.
Is it American law that you have to be born in america to be president, or just for running for president? If the latter; could a non-American-born american politician, say Schwarzenegger, be a vice-president as running mate and after a third party assasination on the president become the commander in chief?
I think the VP has to meet the same Constitutional standards the P does, so Schwarzenegger would not be eligible to run for either.

What's happened in the past when foreign-born individuals have held offices in the chain of succession, they're just skipped.  So when Kissinger was Secretary of State, he was skipped and the Secretary of the Treasury was 4th in line.  Same deal when Madeleine Albright was SecState.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Hydra009

Is it American law that you have to be born in america to be president, or just for running for president? If the latter; could a non-American-born american politician, say Schwarzenegger, be a vice-president as running mate and after a third party assasination on the president become the commander in chief?
To be President, afaik.  That's why the position of Vice President has the same requirements as President.  I'm fairly sure that a person who isn't a natural-born citizen can't be President, even if both the President and Vice President kick the bucket, though that's never happened yet.

Arnold Schwarzenegger is not a natural-born citizen and thus cannot be President.

Baruch

Quote from: Shiranu on March 21, 2017, 11:55:41 AM
I think they would be passed over in the chain of command, though I don't know if they are even eligible for VP. The whole point is that a foreign power doesn't take a hold of our government (*cough* Russia *cough* *cough*), so I don't think that loopholes would work.

A foreign power did ... Native American government was taken hold of by European invaders.  Almost all the people in the New World, are ineligible to run for office on that basis.  And besides ... Saudi Arabia and Israel already control the US government, not Russia.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Solomon Zorn on March 21, 2017, 09:16:18 AM
I see two major things, as far as progressive social policies, to push for, to help our country thrive: public healthcare for all; and free access to higher education. It's been done in other countries. Work it out.

What we need, is for Bernie-wan to train a young apprentice, in the ways of the Force. Otherwise the Sith will establish their empire here, for generations to come.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Queen Amidala

America was built on theft, and is kept afloat by ongoing theft that we conveniently turn a blind eye to.  If you institute justice, as your goal, ironically it kills the US ... because with justice, the US is bankrupt.  You can only make the US great again, but greater injustice.  That is why Trump was elected ... because non-SJWs realize this.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Unbeliever

God Not Found

Unbeliever

God Not Found

Cavebear

The strict answer is no.  You don't have to be born IN America.  But you do have to be a citizen and that is different.  You can be born outside the US to a US mother.  Being born outside the US from a US father seems to be unresolved (which seems to me to be a slightly irrational distinction).  But in any uncertainty, The Supreme Court would decide.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

trdsf

Quote from: Cavebear on March 22, 2017, 03:30:35 AM
The strict answer is no.  You don't have to be born IN America.  But you do have to be a citizen and that is different.  You can be born outside the US to a US mother.  Being born outside the US from a US father seems to be unresolved (which seems to me to be a slightly irrational distinction).  But in any uncertainty, The Supreme Court would decide.
Certainly American territory counts as far as the place of birth goes -- Barry Goldwater was born in the Arizona Territory, three years before Arizona became a state.  John McCain was born in the US-controlled Panama Canal Zone.  Neither was ineligible to run, even though neither won.  There doesn't appear to be a case of a successful presidential candidate born in a territory rather than a state.

The first ten presidents, of course, were born before there was a United States to be born in.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on March 22, 2017, 12:42:42 PM
Certainly American territory counts as far as the place of birth goes -- Barry Goldwater was born in the Arizona Territory, three years before Arizona became a state.  John McCain was born in the US-controlled Panama Canal Zone.  Neither was ineligible to run, even though neither won.  There doesn't appear to be a case of a successful presidential candidate born in a territory rather than a state.

The first ten presidents, of course, were born before there was a United States to be born in.

Which IS, I suppose why the territory rule was established as OK. 
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!