News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

If you would...

Started by reasonist, March 14, 2017, 10:26:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on March 19, 2017, 01:25:33 AM
I promise to form my Cabinet from members here.  Then I'll fire the dumbest 10% of you each year when I get to know you better.  But it's a start...

First atheist President, first atheist Cabinet.  How badly could we do?

Uncle Joe was hard on his fellow party members too.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

trdsf

Quote from: sasuke on March 18, 2017, 01:05:17 PM
Al Franken. He will be 69 in 2020, but he would still be younger than Trump
Franken has really busted his ass since going to Washington.  Maybe we should send more comedians and fewer people just funny in the head to DC.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Hydra009

Quote from: fencerider on March 18, 2017, 12:27:39 PMI'm tryin to imagine Cavebear as president... and then Zorn, Hydra, Baruch,trsf.
I have a lot of RTS/4X experience.  How different could running an actual country be?  :P

The last few players on the hot seat went with rush strategies and spammed military units, which is horrendously n00bish behavior on this large a map, especially given our starting location.

So here's what we do:  we rein in military spending, prioritize the hell out of infrastructure (like t3 power plants) and citizen-improving techs (schools and hospitals).  Upgrading citizens costs an arm and a leg, but it's worth it in the long haul.  They produce more efficiently, which helps grow a better economy. Also, building t3 power plants means we no longer have to trade for power, so we don't have to walk a diplomacy tightrope anymore.  Tell Shareef the deal's off and I don't care if he doesn't like it.  After about a dozen turns of booming, we'll have a huge stockpile of resources to make a serious push towards whatever we want: military victory, culture victory, science victory, etc.  Culture isn't a bad idea, but personally, I'd go for a science victory.

50 turns later:

GG no re

Baruch

How come all civilization games, have the player as Uncle Joe implementing the next 5 year plan?  Why not capitalism (where you can't micromanage shit)?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Well, OP, anybody on this forum (well, almost) including you.  Also Elizabeth Warren.  Franken for VP or Supreme Court.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Mike Cl

And throw John Stewart into the mix as well.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Cavebear

Comedians are smart, scientists are smart, professors are smart. Lets escape politicians and hire a few lawyers for details, and sit down and just solve things.  Rebuild the infrastructure, set up free high speed broadband, improve health care.  Manufacturing would return, jobs would increase, taxable revenue would increase.  Bottom up economics!
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on March 21, 2017, 04:45:58 AM
Comedians are smart, scientists are smart, professors are smart. Lets escape politicians and hire a few lawyers for details, and sit down and just solve things.  Rebuild the infrastructure, set up free high speed broadband, improve health care.  Manufacturing would return, jobs would increase, taxable revenue would increase.  Bottom up economics!

Main street economics is dead ... we only have stripper wells and fracking left, that and ... Las Vega strippers.  Smarts won't put gas in your tank.  The Sinclair dinosaur died for your sins millions of years ago ;-)

Down with the pointy haired bosses, all hail .. Emperor Dilbert!  Aren't you forgetting that Catbert is running HR?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Cavebear on March 21, 2017, 04:45:58 AM
Naaaaa....................ain't gonna happen.  Makes too much sense--and how will the coprs get rich off that????? 

Great proposal, but it seems it does make too much sense these days.

Solomon Zorn

I see two major things, as far as progressive social policies, to push for, to help our country thrive: public healthcare for all; and free access to higher education. It's been done in other countries. Work it out.

What we need, is for Bernie-wan to train a young apprentice, in the ways of the Force. Otherwise the Sith will establish their empire here, for generations to come.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Queen Amidala
If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

GrinningYMIR

Quote from: Solomon Zorn on March 21, 2017, 09:16:18 AM
I see two major things, as far as progressive social policies, to push for, to help our country thrive: public healthcare for all; and free access to higher education. It's been done in other countries. Work it out.

What we need, is for Bernie-wan to train a young apprentice, in the ways of the Force. Otherwise the Sith will establish their empire here, for generations to come.

Sith empire is actually effective, palpatines Sith empire had a strong economy but was also involved with rebel disputes and wasted money on super weapons and inferior leadership. And come on no way it would collapse immediately.

It was known for its brutality but the average citizen didn't see too much of a change. Sometimes for the better, kinda like classes legion from fallout, piracy and some corruption decrease becuase the imperials simply executed them on sight rather than imprisonment.

The current American Sith empire scenario is more like the derp who tried to take controls of cademimu, and ended up causing a civil war he tried to surpress with mercenaries from off world. All while the economy collapsed and he sat on his nukes claiming that's all he needed to keep the planet safe
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

Solomon Zorn

Quote from: MeI see two major things, as far as progressive social policies, to push for, to help our country thrive: public healthcare for all; and free access to higher education. It's been done in other countries. Work it out.

Quote from: GrinningYMIR
Sith empire is actually effective, palpatines Sith empire had a strong economy but was also involved with rebel disputes and wasted money on super weapons and inferior leadership. And come on no way it would collapse immediately.

It was known for its brutality but the average citizen didn't see too much of a change. Sometimes for the better, kinda like classes legion from fallout, piracy and some corruption decrease becuase the imperials simply executed them on sight rather than imprisonment.
That's called, "extending a metaphor." It is far beyond the simple analogy I was attempting to draw. As a point of contention, it becomes a strawman.

Quote from: GrinningYMIRThe current American Sith empire scenario is more like the derp who tried to take controls of cademimu, and ended up causing a civil war he tried to surpress with mercenaries from off world. All while the economy collapsed and he sat on his nukes claiming that's all he needed to keep the planet safe
Not familiar with the reference.
If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

Mr.Obvious

I actually have a side-question for this thread.
Is it American law that you have to be born in america to be president, or just for running for president? If the latter; could a non-American-born american politician, say Schwarzenegger, be a vice-president as running mate and after a third party assasination on the president become the commander in chief?
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Shiranu

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on March 21, 2017, 10:18:41 AM
I actually have a side-question for this thread.
Is it American law that you have to be born in america to be president, or just for running for president? If the latter; could a non-American-born american politician, say Schwarzenegger, be a vice-president as running mate and after a third party assasination on the president become the commander in chief?

I think they would be passed over in the chain of command, though I don't know if they are even eligible for VP. The whole point is that a foreign power doesn't take a hold of our government (*cough* Russia *cough* *cough*), so I don't think that loopholes would work.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

PickelledEggs