Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

If you would...

Started by reasonist, March 14, 2017, 10:26:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solomon Zorn

Quote from: Hydra009 on March 15, 2017, 09:17:40 PM
Bernie Sanders
I love Bernie, but I'd be reluctant to put forth someone who has already run, and lost.
If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

Shiranu

Really no other choice, Joe Biden. The dude is absolute class and passion.

Al Gore is probably my back-up choice; maybe Biden/Gore ticket.

After them it's really too hard to judge... there are plenty of people who I think would make great presidents, but they aren't politicians so it's hard to know if they would be any good.

Tim Kaine also seems like an amazing person, so he can be third.

Julian Castro would be cool to see someone from San Antonio and a Latino make it.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Hydra009

Quote from: Shiranu on March 15, 2017, 09:25:56 PMReally no other choice, Joe Biden. The dude is absolute class and passion.

Al Gore is probably my back-up choice; maybe Biden/Gore ticket.
Yeah, those are good, too.  In my earlier post, I actually wrote down Al Gore but erased it before posting.  I figured I'd get too many objections ranging from political has-been to jetsetting global warming alarmist.  Go figure.

Imho, we could do a lot worse than Gore or Biden.  In fact, I'm pretty sure either would be way better than what we have currently.

Baruch

Quote from: Solomon Zorn on March 15, 2017, 07:03:34 PM
You do realize, that Eisenhower is the one responsible for both the "one nation under God" addition to the Pledge of Allegiance, and the "In God We Trust" motto on our currency.

The first, not the second.  The second is from 1864 ... thank Lincoln for that, and the Thanksgiving holiday.  Silly Americans in the 1950s, thought that adding G-d to the pledge, would cause Communists to not say it, for fear that their mouths would catch fire from the blasphemy of falsely affirming American Manifest Destiny.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Sylar

Ultimately the pick should be whichever candidate has the best chance to beat the incumbent, because historically the incumbent has advantage to win re-election.

It also means making sure a loss doesn't burn this candidate's chances in 2024.

Also historically speaking, losing party usually wins in midterm congressional elections immediately following presidential elections, so let's hope the trend keeps up. I am more worried about winning state legislatures, where Democrats have lower turnout. DNC really needs to focus on that. 2020 census, which means redistricting -- need to remind people of that.
"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all." --Oscar Wilde

Cavebear

Well, as I said, Al Gore.  He has the skills and depth of worldwide understanding.  As does Hillary Clinton.  And they are both eligible.  I love Sanders and Brown personally, but I doubt they could govern (but if Trump can be President, that might not matter).

Let me just say that any person not as nuts as Trump would be a better choice.  There could be some Republican better than him.  Can we have Bush Jr back?   
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Cavebear

Actually, you know what scares me the most?  Every Republican President seems crazier than the last one.  I would take Reagan over Bush Jr and Trump!

trdsf

I was recently reflecting that it took Dubya fully five years to make me miss Nixon.

Asshole wasn't even inaugurated yet before I was missing Dubya.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on March 16, 2017, 12:25:20 PM
I was recently reflecting that it took Dubya fully five years to make me miss Nixon.

Asshole wasn't even inaugurated yet before I was missing Dubya.

Hmmm.  Line them up by ability since Carter...

Munch

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Baruch

Yes, Grant was a real man, he not only had hair on his chest, he put hair on Lee's chest ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

fencerider

I'm tryin to imagine Cavebear as president... and then Zorn, Hydra, Baruch,trsf. They all sound a whole lot better than Trump; although Baruch might screw things up just for the fun of it
"Do you believe in god?", is not a proper English sentence. Unless you believe that, "Do you believe in apple?", is a proper English sentence.

Baruch

Quote from: fencerider on March 18, 2017, 12:27:39 PM
I'm tryin to imagine Cavebear as president... and then Zorn, Hydra, Baruch,trsf. They all sound a whole lot better than Trump; although Baruch might screw things up just for the fun of it

I am the "devil with a blue dress on" ;-)  If the world is chaos, and I mess it up more ... sounds a lot like what is the sound of a tree falling ... how can you tell if I did or didn't?  Cavebear having working in the government ... knows it better than most, better than Trump of course.  I have worked on the periphery of the government for half my life, but I recognize a cluster-F when I see one.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

sasuke

Al Franken. He will be 69 in 2020, but he would still be younger than Trump

Cavebear

Quote from: sasuke on March 18, 2017, 01:05:17 PM
Al Franken. He will be 69 in 2020, but he would still be younger than Trump

I promise to form my Cabinet from members here.  Then I'll fire the dumbest 10% of you each year when I get to know you better.  But it's a start...

First atheist President, first atheist Cabinet.  How badly could we do?