News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

If you would...

Started by reasonist, March 14, 2017, 10:26:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

reasonist

have the power to nominate one person for President of the United States, who would it be? He/she must be alive and born in the US. Otherwise you have free range.
With more time on my hands, I shall make a list with everybody's name; let's see if one name comes up more than once.
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities
Voltaire

Cavebear

Quote from: reasonist on March 14, 2017, 10:26:20 AM
have the power to nominate one person for President of the United States, who would it be? He/she must be alive and born in the US. Otherwise you have free range.
With more time on my hands, I shall make a list with everybody's name; let's see if one name comes up more than once.

Well, Me.  Hey, I get to vote for myself.  But then let's say Obama, Gore, Clinton (take your pick) and Charles Schumer...  I might take a flyer on Rand Paul.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

reasonist

Quote from: Cavebear on March 14, 2017, 10:38:40 AM
Well, Me.  Hey, I get to vote for myself.  But then let's say Obama, Gore, Clinton (take your pick) and Charles Schumer...  I might take a flyer on Rand Paul.
Choose ONE! Can Obama be re-elected? I don't know what the constitution has to say about that.
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities
Voltaire

Cavebear

Quote from: reasonist on March 14, 2017, 10:44:32 AM
Choose ONE! Can Obama be re-elected? I don't know what the constitution has to say about that.

He can't.  But you didn't specify Constitutional restrictions.  But OK, one.  I nominate Al Gore.  And only because I'M busy.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: reasonist on March 14, 2017, 10:44:32 AM

Obama, the Clintons and the Bush crime family are running a "alternative facts WH" several blocks from the Trump WH right now.  Elections are no longer required, thanks for playing.  Bush Jr was Clinton III and IV.  Obama was Bush Jr III and IV.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

trdsf

Ooo, hm.  Hillary, of course -- she has all the necessary experience.  Marcy Kaptur, one of the great pragmatic progressives in the House comes to mind, as does Al Franken, who has built a reputation as a hard worker.  Former Iowa Senator Tom Harkin would have made a good president, I think; I was a supporter of his campaign in '92.

I think the last Republican that didn't make me want to hide behind the couch was Jon Huntsman -- so of course he didn't make it much past New Hampshire when he ran in 2012.  I'm a combination of disappointed and optimistic that he's going to be Asshole's ambassador to Russia.  Huntsman had been Obama's ambassador to China, so he has diplomatic experience.  I am bothered that he's signed on to Asshole's administration, but at the same time, if I had to pick a Republican to send to Russia as ambassador who is also least likely to have been engaged in campaign and pre-inauguration illegal meetings, it would be him.  I suspect that he accepted the post thinking 'if I don't do it, what kind of psychotic will they send in my place?'

Narrowing it down to just one, though?  I can't think of anyone on the scene right now who I think would be considered a great president.  I can think of a number of people who would be good presidents.  Thinking strategically, my own senator Sherrod Brown would help bring the Midwest back into line - yet another Midwestern pragmatic progressive.  He won't have an election back home to worry about, since his re-election campaign will be in '18.  So I'll go with that for right now, reserving the possibility of changing my mind.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Atheon

If I could appoint someone president, it would be Hillary Clinton, to piss off the Trumpeteers and the Berners. (I would also use my god-like powers for good by abolishing the Republican Party altogether.)

If I could nominate someone, though, it would be Gavin Newsom or Kamala Harris. Both from my neck of the woods. Both progressive, non-establishment Dems but don't have their heads in the clouds.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Baruch

Quote from: Atheon on March 15, 2017, 11:39:21 AM
If I could appoint someone president, it would be Hillary Clinton, to piss off the Trumpeteers and the Berners. (I would also use my god-like powers for good by abolishing the Republican Party altogether.)

If I could nominate someone, though, it would be Gavin Newsom or Kamala Harris. Both from my neck of the woods. Both progressive, non-establishment Dems but don't have their heads in the clouds.

You have to have the Clinton virus bad, to still hate Bernie.  Bernie was the most liberal guy available last year.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Sylar

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all." --Oscar Wilde

Munch

Lex Luthor.

He's sophisticated, charming, knows how to handle money and power, and wants to help control the intake of illegal aliens.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Gilgamesh

Dwayne 'the rock' Johnson.

Atheon

Quote from: Baruch on March 15, 2017, 12:15:16 PM
You have to have the Clinton virus bad, to still hate Bernie.  Bernie was the most liberal guy available last year.
He was, and I voted for him in the primaries. My peeve is the Berners who refused to vote for Clinton in the general, thereby giving us Trump. I was only for Clinton because it was down to two: Clinton or Trump.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Munch

Quote from: Gilgamesh on March 15, 2017, 12:56:10 PM
Dwayne 'the rock' Johnson.

ooh now that I agree with.

or maybe even, president Cena?

that said, these guys are entertainers, and we know full well how much dirty laundry gets revealed when someone becomes a president or even a politician, so might just ruin their image.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Jason78

I would pay Neil Patrick Harris to portray his character of Barney Stinson for his eight year presidential term.   
He's always impeccably suited up, he's got a guy for everything, a sharp legal mind (he invented the bro code), and he's got incredible charisma.

Make america legendary again!
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato