News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

EARTH vs. ISLAM

Started by Validus, June 10, 2013, 08:36:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Validus

Coming from someone with nearly 5,000 posts that sounds pretty disingenuous, Drunkenshoe.

You're in a bar bitching about people drinking.  What do you expect us to discuss?  Stamp collecting?
"Battle not with monsters lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss the abyss gazes also into you." ~F. Nietzsche (1844-1900)

Plu

QuoteWhat do you expect us to discuss?

Science, maths, history, the future. There's plenty. Most people here are really intelligent and have quite a bit of knowledge of the world around them.

I understand that people occasionally want to vent about the nonsense that is religion, but some people have made it their mission in life to do nothing but vent, and it gets annoying. (Fortunately I block most of them so it doesn't really bother me anymore, but I understand shoe's sentiment)

pr126

QuoteI understand that people occasionally want to vent about the nonsense that is religion, but some people have made it their mission in life to do nothing but vent, and it gets annoying.
Religion General Discussion (mainly Christianity) Topics  72
Christianity                                                                   Topics  2721
Islam                                                                              Topics  20

Plu

I'm going to assume it's a joke and you're not actually so dumb you can't figure out why what you said is really stupid.

Jason78

Quote from: "_Xenu_"
Quote from: "Jason78"
Quote from: "StupidWiz"Muhammad is a genius, died centuries ago yet still be able to fool millions of people centuries later. The concept, the doctrine, the continuation, the isolation. Perfect. I admit I envy him... a bit.  

We'll probably be having this exact same conversation about L Ron Hubbard in a couple of hundred years.
Wouldn't count on it. There's just too much damning information on the Internet.

Has the internet run out of damning information about islam? :D
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Plu

QuoteHas the internet run out of damning information about islam? :D

Most muslims grow up without the internet, though. And the ones that do have the internet mostly live in countries where everybody dislikes muslims, which gives them a good reason to stay muslims. (It's not like most of the people disliking would understand the difference between a middle eastern atheist or a middle eastern muslim. It's all about having a group of people that look the same and can be blamed for everything, after all)

Validus

Quote from: "drunkenshoe"-Islam is the only problem in the world,
-Every other religion is somewhat OK,
-Israel is just a victim and is right in everything it does, oh the 'evil' palestinians are the reason for everything!
-Picking something trivial and laughable to 'criticise' a fucked up religion as 'islam is a religion of peace' WHILE
-Completely ignoring the unjustified slaughter US created in the ME that reached the proportions of genocide and defining 'a side' with being the enemy of EARTH.

Why? "Oh but this is what our media and government tells us! Isn't it obvious, look at all the news?!"

Your gross mischaracterization of me and my post needs to be addressed at length:

1. I never said anything remotely close to "Islam is the only problem in the world". Do you deny that it's a problem at all?
2. I never said anything remotely close to "Every other religion is somewhat OK." I gave three specific examples of religions that espouse PEACE and can be show clearly to promote that.  
3. The Palestinians have two completely untenable positions that will always make them completely unreasonable in my view. First, their attitude that Israel has no right to exist is completely unacceptable. Second, their demand that Israel give Jerusalem to them as their Capital is just as ridiculous. As long as they hold to those positions as well as periodic bombings than they get what they deserve.
4. I was not talking about US Foreign policy but I would be only too happy to talk about our wrongheaded adventures in Korea, Vietnam, Cambodia, Grenada, Kuwait and Iraq in the POLITICAL FORUM if that is your wish.
5. I don't remember ever saying that the "News media" is 100% right about anything.
"Battle not with monsters lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss the abyss gazes also into you." ~F. Nietzsche (1844-1900)

Plu

Quote2. I never said anything remotely close to "Every other religion is somewhat OK." I gave three specific examples of religions that espouse PEACE and can be show clearly to promote that.

Buddhism actually has a few topics in here about how they're brutally fucking things up and not exactly "promoting peace". You can ignore them because you consider yourself a buddhist if you want, or apply the typical theist response of "but they're perverting it!" but it doesn't change that the word "buddhist" is used for, amongst other things, people doing things that are the exact opposite of peaceful.

Validus

Quote from: "Plu"
Quote2. I never said anything remotely close to "Every other religion is somewhat OK." I gave three specific examples of religions that espouse PEACE and can be show clearly to promote that.

Buddhism actually has a few topics in here about how they're brutally fucking things up and not exactly "promoting peace". You can ignore them because you consider yourself a buddhist if you want, or apply the typical theist response of "but they're perverting it!" but it doesn't change that the word "buddhist" is used for, amongst other things, people doing things that are the exact opposite of peaceful.

I'm not one to run from that. However having studied Buddhism for more than a decade and taken more than a passing glance at Asian history I will say that it is disheartening to see that what the Buddha taught 2,600 years ago be reduced to formulas, myths, and to have little effect on sexism and the inhuman treatment of some Asian nations to their own citizens.  I would respectfully point out that to my knowledge no Buddhist monk has ever blown up a building, killed others for having different beliefs in Death Camps, or cut off the heads and hands of thieves or people who happen to be gay.   8-)

Jason78

Quote from: "Plu"Most muslims grow up without the internet, though. And the ones that do have the internet mostly live in countries where everybody dislikes muslims, which gives them a good reason to stay muslims. (It's not like most of the people disliking would understand the difference between a middle eastern atheist or a middle eastern muslim. It's all about having a group of people that look the same and can be blamed for everything, after all)

The fundamentalist muslim that I work with seems to be pretty sheltered and seems to prefer to stay that way.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Plu

Fundamentalists always prefer to be sheltered from what I've seen and heard; regardless of their personal choice of delusion. I've heard plenty of stories here of people being dropped like hot potatoes by family and friends the moment they used the words "I" and "atheist" in the same sentence.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: "Plu"
QuoteWhat do you expect us to discuss?

Science, maths, history, the future. There's plenty. Most people here are really intelligent and have quite a bit of knowledge of the world around them.

I understand that people occasionally want to vent about the nonsense that is religion, but some people have made it their mission in life to do nothing but vent, and it gets annoying. (Fortunately I block most of them so it doesn't really bother me anymore, but I understand shoe's sentiment)

You can always come to my threads, where you can improve your knowledge of physics.  :-D

Have you missed the latest ones?

Einstein's Derivation of the Famous Equation, E=mc2
Relativistic Doppler Effect

Plu

No, I like those kinds of threads but I haven't really had to time lately to invest the time to really understand them.

That's why I come to the religion bashing threads. They're easy, I can do those while I'm working :P

Validus

I would really appreciate it if you don't call me "honey". Unless we're either fucking or you're serving me drinks, that's inappropriate.

Shiranu

QuoteIsrael is the only country with nuclear weapons in the ME. If they didn't have the technology or the support they have now, they would be using the same tactics as Palestinians used.

Eh... Turkiye (shares them with [4?] other states, granted) and Pakistan?

(I get your point though).

QuotePrude...lol.

That's an American thing :P. Alot of our culture is still stuck in the late 1800's/early 1900's.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur