News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Prez Tramp's Yooge Bigly Talk

Started by etienne, March 13, 2017, 07:49:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Sorginak on March 22, 2017, 07:40:35 PM
I once had the balls to confront my father.  He grabbed me by the throat, pressed me against the wall, and showed me how physically strong he was despite the fact that I had merely attacked him verbally with my intelligence.

Some men are apes .. in more than one way.  In ancient times, among the Cossacks, you couldn't leave home as a man, unless you could beat your father into submission.  This was bad on Dad, if he had many sons ;-)  I wish every son had a father at least as good as mine.  Losing ones temper, is a sign of weakness.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on March 22, 2017, 07:36:09 PM
My father wasn't as bad you you think.  He was quite a vulnerable and modest man.  But pro-business (having been in business with his father back in the day).  My mother was a S Democrat .. not anything liberal .. she was harder than he was, it was a mother led family ;-)  Same as Alexander, Caesar, Genghis Khan ...

And yes, I had to confront my father, as all sons should ... when I was 21.  My mother had pushed him into childishly micromanaging her anxiety thru him, instead of doing it herself.  He knew better.  It was a polite confrontation, and he understood I now wore full pants, not knee pants ;-)  I love him ... as I do my mother.  My mother was hard on herself, but within conventional bounds ... not a feminist, though she should have been one.  She wanted to be a pro female athlete (her idol was Babe Didrikson Zaharias). My father's father was harsh and reactionary ... but that was before my time.  But my inspiration to technology, came from him.

I have never been a liberal in the way you think.  I oppose stupidity, not any particular ideology.  Pragmatism, not idealism, is my ideal.  Of course I went my own way, having my own strong personality.  My father was the atheist ... my mother a very nominal Christian.  My evolution has gone way beyond where they went, I can only hope they are proud because of that, not because I was a cloned legacy.

Baruch, I am sorry you had a harsh childhood.  No one should, but many do.  I knew several I worked with delivering newspapers who were struggling with parents.  I tried to help them.  A couple were given shelter in our basement (not to my parents' knowledge) by my younger brother. 

Don't blame your father's atheism for his ill treatment of you.  I've known a few crazy atheists in my time.  Neither atheism nor theism guarantees sanity or parental talents.  Try not to conflate the two.  There is some connection between atheism and sanity but it is NOT 100%.

I have known sensible theist adults and nutso atheists, and I have known (mostly) sensible atheists and more nutso theiests.  But not all people of any thought structure are 100% sane.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Ah ... but why are you still projecting?  My father stopped spanking me (and not in a bad way even when he did) way back when I was five, and it was rare then.  My mother decked me once, when I was a teenager, but it didn't hurt, and I deserved it.  And yes, my father's atheism was an aside, not a cause.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on March 24, 2017, 07:34:23 AM
Ah ... but why are you still projecting?  My father stopped spanking me (and not in a bad way even when he did) way back when I was five, and it was rare then.  My mother decked me once, when I was a teenager, but it didn't hurt, and I deserved it.  And yes, my father's atheism was an aside, not a cause.

That's not how it seemed in a previous post.  It is routine that abused children deny the abuse.  Abuse is not the shame of the victim; it is the shame of the abuser.

AllPurposeAtheist

Here's the thing. Presidents are a tight knit bunch, a very exclusive club with very few members. Had Obama gone after the Bush people the way many people wanted the pitchforks would have come out against him in spades moreso than they did. I suspect that Trump will get the same treatment. Whoever takes office after the orange one will probably say, Oh well..I don't want the opposition party to prosecute me either so we'll just let sleeping dogs lie.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on March 24, 2017, 08:48:01 AM
That's not how it seemed in a previous post.  It is routine that abused children deny the abuse.  Abuse is not the shame of the victim; it is the shame of the abuser.

So, if you deny that you were abused by your mother (because you hadn't said you were) ... that is proof that you were?  I don't think so.  My father was a difficult son for a difficult father ... he was another momma's boy.  But I really never had much problem with my own father.  My grandfather was Victorian ... so that in itself might be seen as abusive.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

T.rump said it.
I believe it.
End of story.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on March 24, 2017, 06:35:09 PM
T.rump said it.
I believe it.
End of story.

O.bozo getting a new clown nose?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Baruch on March 24, 2017, 06:42:59 PM
O.bozo betting a new clown nose?
I'm just going to inflate my shoes and walk right in.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on March 24, 2017, 07:00:53 PM
I'm just going to inflate my shoes and walk right in.

They only let little kids in the Jumpy Castle.  Adults weigh to much.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Baruch on March 24, 2017, 07:05:02 PM
They only let little kids in the Jumpy Castle.  Adults weigh to much.
It's all fine, we're all bozos on this bus.
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on March 24, 2017, 07:06:44 PM
It's all fine, we're all bozos on this bus.

But some of us are just bobbly-heads ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Baruch on March 24, 2017, 07:16:43 PM
But some of us are just bobbly-heads ;-)
Dear Friends, Everything You Know Is Wrong.
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on March 24, 2017, 12:52:25 PM
So, if you deny that you were abused by your mother (because you hadn't said you were) ... that is proof that you were?  I don't think so.  My father was a difficult son for a difficult father ... he was another momma's boy.  But I really never had much problem with my own father.  My grandfather was Victorian ... so that in itself might be seen as abusive.

You didn't mention maternal abuse and neither did I.  That issue was not on the table.

But your father was abusive and that is not a matter of concern to you?  Abusive fathers come from abusive parents.  Your father is the matter you have to resolve.  HIS parents are his concern (living or dead issues can remain).

You need to deal with your father.  I had to do that myself.  My Dad was a bigoted type who's golfing buddies rolled their eyes when he spoke.  As his caddy, I saw that often.  He never knew until I confronted him the the recollections when I was a more confident adult. 

He was shocked and denied it.  But I pointed out that he only watched far Right TV.  He began to catch on.  He had never had anyone around him who presented opposing facts to what he heard on Fox and radio, and he began to change his views (slightly).

Baruch

Well I appreciate your father's psychological analysis (by a clearly unbiased physician) but i still don't recall saying my father abused me.  Are you assuming all fathers are abusive?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.