If a Christian god exists, why does he pretend to not exist? cont. godditit vs n

Started by fencerider, March 06, 2017, 08:00:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on April 24, 2017, 10:29:00 AM
After 'No creation, no Creator. ', you lost me.  God does not create because god is a fiction--he/she was invented by man.  I suppose one could say that humans are superior to an atom.  But what does that mean?  Seems a bit nonsensical to me.  And an atom, currently, is not defined as life.  I don't see any lifeform as being superior to another--just different.  And I'm not saying that all life is equal or should even exist.  And I'm not saying I don't kill other lifeforms--I do.  All of us do, for we have no choice.  We kill, at the very least, life within our own bodies and on our bodies every minute of every day.  Even if we kill ourselves we would then still be killing the organisms that have a symbiotic relationship with us.  Anyway, labeling one life form as superior or inferior does little to add to our understanding of our very real physical world.

Man creates .. but not ex nihilo.  That would be a straw man argument often used.  In Genesis, G-d doesn't create ex nihilo either.  Our creation is the rearrangement of existing things ... but more importantly, new ideas.  Are ideas made up of atoms?  Oh ... ideas are just activities of atoms.  Is atomic activity sponsored by the YMCA?  Do atoms get much exercise ;-)  Physical scientists understand very little ... about as much physics as the Pope understands ;-)  In olden times there was a hierarchy of worship ... god worship, demigod worship and hero worship.  Science as a cultural phenomena ... is a form of hero worship.  Our old poster Joe was "in love" with Einstein, but denied love to Feynman.  If you don't think you are superior, then just use drugs to stop your immune system.  Bacteria of the world unite, you have nothing to lose but your antibodies!

Compare a pebble to the Great Pyramid.  Both are made of stone, and the pebble formed naturally, no Pharaoh involved.  So the pebble is the equal of the Great Pyramid, to you?  We macro-fauna are superior to micro-fauna ... at least in size and complexity.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Baruch on April 24, 2017, 12:32:06 PM
Man creates .. but not ex nihilo.  That would be a straw man argument often used.  In Genesis, G-d doesn't create ex nihilo either.  Our creation is the rearrangement of existing things ... but more importantly, new ideas.  Are ideas made up of atoms?  Oh ... ideas are just activities of atoms.  Is atomic activity sponsored by the YMCA?  Do atoms get much exercise ;-)  Physical scientists understand very little ... about as much physics as the Pope understands ;-)  In olden times there was a hierarchy of worship ... god worship, demigod worship and hero worship.  Science as a cultural phenomena ... is a form of hero worship.  Our old poster Joe was "in love" with Einstein, but denied love to Feynman.  If you don't think you are superior, then just use drugs to stop your immune system.  Bacteria of the world unite, you have nothing to lose but your antibodies!

Compare a pebble to the Great Pyramid.  Both are made of stone, and the pebble formed naturally, no Pharaoh involved.  So the pebble is the equal of the Great Pyramid, to you?  We macro-fauna are superior to micro-fauna ... at least in size and complexity.
What is 'is'?--posed by my favorite philosopher. :))  It all depends upon what 'superior' means to you.  I don't care what it says in Genesis; it is clearly a fiction and has no bearing on reality.  I don't go to my Red Ryder comics to defend some philosophy or other.  I see--physical scientists don't understand anything while theistic ones do.  Right. 

As for the bacteria within me, that is a double edge sword.  Not all bacteria are equal.  Some my body needs to work at its best.  Others will make me sick.  So, I do my best to suppress the bad ones and support the good ones.  Am I superior to either kind?  I don't really care; I am more important to me, that I can say.  Are they superior to me?  What does that mean?  I'm sure most of them perform their natural function more efficiently than I; so does than make them superior?  I matters not if they or I am the most superior; that has no impact upon my life.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on April 24, 2017, 02:20:22 PM
What is 'is'?--posed by my favorite philosopher. :))  It all depends upon what 'superior' means to you.  I don't care what it says in Genesis; it is clearly a fiction and has no bearing on reality.  I don't go to my Red Ryder comics to defend some philosophy or other.  I see--physical scientists don't understand anything while theistic ones do.  Right. 

As for the bacteria within me, that is a double edge sword.  Not all bacteria are equal.  Some my body needs to work at its best.  Others will make me sick.  So, I do my best to suppress the bad ones and support the good ones.  Am I superior to either kind?  I don't really care; I am more important to me, that I can say.  Are they superior to me?  What does that mean?  I'm sure most of them perform their natural function more efficiently than I; so does than make them superior?  I matters not if they or I am the most superior; that has no impact upon my life.

"I don't go to my Red Ryder comics to defend some philosophy or other." ... you might be missing out ;-)  And no, scientists are geeks, only nerds understand, geeks don't get anything other than their own geekness.  Geeks understand only that there is no understanding.  Geeks think they are cool in black ... nerds wear colors.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Baruch on April 24, 2017, 07:15:24 PM
"I don't go to my Red Ryder comics to defend some philosophy or other." ... you might be missing out ;-)  And no, scientists are geeks, only nerds understand, geeks don't get anything other than their own geekness.  Geeks understand only that there is no understanding.  Geeks think they are cool in black ... nerds wear colors.
You may be right, Baruch (see how much easier that is when all the keys are labeled and easy to read??) Little Beaver does spew forth with line after line of philosophy! 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Cavebear

The easiest way to deal with people like Baruch is to just ignore them.  I've done that for some months and it gets easier every day.  I knew people like him in the workplace and in the neighborhood.  When you learn to ignore THEM, everyone else's posts are much more clear.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Cavebear ... groupthink and confirmation bias.  But then you learned that in the bowls of the government ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Baruch on June 14, 2017, 12:53:16 PM
Cavebear ... groupthink and confirmation bias.  But then you leaned that in the bowls of the government ;-)
Or maybe the Super-bowls of government...

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Government is more like Tidy-Bowl than Super-Bowl ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DC_M2VgfVA ... that is the President in the WH yacht ;-))
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

fencerider

Quote from: Mike Cl on April 24, 2017, 10:29:00 AM
I don't see any lifeform as being superior to another
There are millions of missionaries and crusaders that would disagree... and maybe even be disappointed in you
"Do you believe in god?", is not a proper English sentence. Unless you believe that, "Do you believe in apple?", is a proper English sentence.

aitm

Quote from: Ananta Shesha on April 23, 2017, 02:50:54 PM
There is no Father without a Mother.

That's nice.

There is a reason religion consider women as worthy as camels donkeys and the occasional ox. A protective father has the edge over a protective mother. Hey, talk to god bout it.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Baruch

Quote from: fencerider on June 17, 2017, 12:37:47 PM
There are millions of missionaries and crusaders that would disagree... and maybe even be disappointed in you

My gut bacteria worship me as a god, constantly living in fear of The Great Enema!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: fencerider on June 17, 2017, 12:37:47 PM
Yes, they would be disappointed in me---and that's what I aim for. :)

Cavebear

Quote from: Mike Cl on June 17, 2017, 04:10:34 PM
Yes, they would be disappointed in me---and that's what I aim for. :)

I'm with you on that.  It is vaguely reassuring that "millions of missionaries and crusaders that would disagree" with me. 
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!