If a Christian god exists, why does he pretend to not exist? cont. godditit vs n

Started by fencerider, March 06, 2017, 08:00:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fencerider

The Christian god doesn't answer prayers, doesn't keep promises written in the Bible, doesn't have any house or temple on earth, has no communication with the people of earth. The Bible has many errors (some would also say lies) in it. In short the more places we look for a Christian god, the more the lack of evidence suggests that god doesn't exist. So why do people keep believing that god is real?
"Do you believe in god?", is not a proper English sentence. Unless you believe that, "Do you believe in apple?", is a proper English sentence.

Solomon Zorn

If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

fencerider

yes inspired by Zorn.... and some of Drew's argument in goddidit vs naturedidit
"Do you believe in god?", is not a proper English sentence. Unless you believe that, "Do you believe in apple?", is a proper English sentence.

trdsf

Quote from: fencerider on March 06, 2017, 08:00:32 PM
The Christian god doesn't answer prayers, doesn't keep promises written in the Bible, doesn't have any house or temple on earth, has no communication with the people of earth. The Bible has many errors (some would also say lies) in it. In short the more places we look for a Christian god, the more the lack of evidence suggests that god doesn't exist. So why do people keep believing that god is real?
Philosophical momentum.  They were taught to believe in it without question, to actively reject questioning it in any meaningful way, so they believe in it without question and never seriously test their beliefs.  It's not without reason that the Jesuits say if you give them the boy they will give you the man.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Baruch

Quote from: trdsf on March 07, 2017, 12:15:15 AM
Philosophical momentum.  They were taught to believe in it without question, to actively reject questioning it in any meaningful way, so they believe in it without question and never seriously test their beliefs.  It's not without reason that the Jesuits say if you give them the boy they will give you the man.

It is called, for better or worse, acculturation and socialization.  Since people usually are political and religious, both of those figure in.  For various reasons, the Matrix fails however.  The Roman Catholic Church was a particularly effective Matrix (a Latin word related to "mother" ... so what have you got against Mother?).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Sorginak

People want to believe, to have faith, because they feel it makes them better for having that belief.

They can be logical in all other aspects of life, yet when it comes to that religious belief they forego with logic in order to feel more comfortable with whatever it was that drove them to that belief. 

Baruch

Quote from: Sorginak on March 07, 2017, 05:53:26 PM
People want to believe, to have faith, because they feel it makes them better for having that belief.

They can be logical in all other aspects of life, yet when it comes to that religious belief they forego with logic in order to feel more comfortable with whatever it was that drove them to that belief.

Psychology is complicated.  Humans aren't Binars.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Drew_2017

Quote from: Baruch on March 07, 2017, 07:16:06 PM
Psychology is complicated.  Humans aren't Binars.

There are humans who dress up in funny costumes, paint there faces, yell and scream at football games as if this will help the team win. It does appear they are having fun though.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
Albert Einstein

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jex6k2uvf9aljrq/theism.rtf?dl=0

Baruch

Quote from: Drew_2017 on March 07, 2017, 11:33:20 PM
There are humans who dress up in funny costumes, paint there faces, yell and scream at football games as if this will help the team win. It does appear they are having fun though.

To spend multiple decades among humans, as a human ... and not have fun ... Sad (quoting Trump).  I hope you are having fun, Drew ... I know I am.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Solomon Zorn

Quote from: fencerider on March 07, 2017, 12:00:16 AM
yes inspired by Zorn.... and some of Drew's argument in goddidit vs naturedidit
Drew made an argument? I must have missed that, among all the unsupported assertions.

Solomon Zorn

If God exists, why does he pretend not to exist? That riddle is what it boils down to, for me.

A while back, I posted an invitation to my website, on another forum, for the expressed purpose of getting some opinions about my poetry. No one seemed to be able to get beyond the website's first sentence: "If God exists, why does he pretend not to exist?"

A lot of people stated their opinion, but only two engaged me in a lengthy debate. Both were Bible-quoting Christians, but one of them took an unusual position: whereas is is typical for someone to dispute the premise, this guy accepted the premise, and instead tried to give justifications for the contention, that God does, in fact, pretend not to exist(it's for our own good).

The other guy decided he hadn't been an effective witness of his faith, so he went and deleted all of his posts, leaving half the thread unreadable.

Baruch

If you knew, what I knew, that you and I are demigods ... then you would realize G-d isn't hiding at all.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Solomon Zorn

If you knew what I know, that you and I are just a pattern...then you would remember, God is a squiggle, that glows yellow. The Devil is the same squiggle, glowing green. They were shown to me, as a child, and I was chastised, for thinking that they were one and the same. I don't have a clue what to do with that memory.

Solomon Zorn

Quote from: fencerider on March 06, 2017, 08:00:32 PM
So why do people keep believing that god is real?
People are more emotional, than rational. They want ready-made answers for their questions and concerns. They don't want to think too hard about it. They want to know the origin of life without waiting for the research. They want to know what happens, if anything, after death, so they can somehow be prepared for it. They want control over their own lives. They want control over others. They want help in desperation. They want to make a safer, better world. They want to live forever.

A God, seems like he could solve all those problems. Hence the desire to believe.

Indoctrination molds the psyche, making the concept seem to be innate.

Inordinate elevation of the importance of faith, numbs their natural skepticism, and renders them more amenable to self deception.

Then the convoluted pseudo-reasoning of apologists, reinforces a believer's delusion, making it difficult for most people to distinguish between a sound conclusion, and a rationalized defense of their preconceptions.

And of course, in our culture, everybody believes it, so it must be true.

Finally, demonizing the very thought, that what you've been taught is in error, frightens many people away, either consciously or subconsciously.

Baruch

Quote from: Solomon Zorn on March 08, 2017, 04:23:10 PM
If you knew what I know, that you and I are just a pattern...then you would remember, God is a squiggle, that glows yellow. The Devil is the same squiggle, glowing green. They were shown to me, as a child, and I was chastised, for thinking that they were one and the same. I don't have a clue what to do with that memory.

You could always projectile vomit pea soup and say bad words at a Catholic priest ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.