If a Christian god exists, why does he pretend to not exist? cont. godditit vs n

Started by fencerider, March 06, 2017, 08:00:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Solomon Zorn on March 11, 2017, 07:09:25 PM
Loki is yours...or do you spell it L-ki ?

Just keep the Hulk off me, and we will get along just fine ...
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Solomon Zorn

HULK SMASH! You already got clobbered.
If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

Blackleaf

Quote from: Baruch on March 11, 2017, 05:23:19 AMYour definition of G-d ... like many others here ... "something that will make me crap my pants, like going over the top of the first tall rise in the roller coaster".

Actually, a god to me is a spiritual being with significant power. Some mythical gods have realms of power, such as fertility. Sometimes they demand worship in exchange for favors. Or in the Christian God's case, worship in exchange for not being tortured for an eternity. Basically, a god is someone with significance in the real world. If a god does little more than observe, like the Holy Clapper, I couldn't really care less.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Baruch

Quote from: Blackleaf on March 12, 2017, 04:03:14 PM
Actually, a god to me is a spiritual being with significant power. Some mythical gods have realms of power, such as fertility. Sometimes they demand worship in exchange for favors. Or in the Christian God's case, worship in exchange for not being tortured for an eternity. Basically, a god is someone with significance in the real world. If a god does little more than observe, like the Holy Clapper, I couldn't really care less.

You never heard of ... clap on ... clap off?  That is both practical and powerful.  And yes, I hope, if you made your own children, that the goat you sacrificed had no blemish ... though covering up its zits with Clearasil is OK.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Solomon Zorn

If anyone is still interested in the original topic, here's a poem that I wrote on the subject(best when read in a tone that is dripping with sarcasm):

"Impotent Omnipotent"
Solomon Zorn

God saw the workman, who fell in the chipper,
His thoughts are with the meat pile's family.
God hears the prayers, of children with cancer,
But he just lacks a medical degree.

God has such love for the faithful devoted,
To have them near, he let them crash their bus.
God stayed his hand, as a fact'ry exploded,
It's all part of his plan, you have to trust.

God knew beforehand, the planes' destinations,
The day the world watched the towers fall.
God can't be bothered with terror prevention,
When busy with the outcomes of football.

It was September after all...

God works his miracles, worship him for it,
And don't forget to pray for his assistance.
God is all-powerful, dare not ignore it,
For God is only faking nonexistence.

fencerider

zorn your attempt at poetry is kinda funny. just dont quit the day job yet. You got the rhyme part down, now you gotta work on the rhythm part. (let me think about it.... maybe give yu a more poetic version of the same song)

Maybe he pretends to not exist just to see how many zaney ideas we come up with. maybe he wants to see who dares to say he doesn't exist so he can smash em like a bug (god of tuff-luv)
"Do you believe in god?", is not a proper English sentence. Unless you believe that, "Do you believe in apple?", is a proper English sentence.

Solomon Zorn

Quote from: fencerider on March 14, 2017, 12:04:59 AM
zorn your attempt at poetry is kinda funny. just dont quit the day job yet. You got the rhyme part down, now you gotta work on the rhythm part. (let me think about it.... maybe give yu a more poetic version of the same song)
It's not a song, it's a poem. The structure of the rhythm is a little unusual, but it is consistent:

The meter of the first line, matches the meter of the third line. The meter of the second line, matches the meter of the fourth. The offset structure, is intended to force a pause between lines.

Cavebear

Quote from: Solomon Zorn on March 08, 2017, 04:57:08 PM
People are more emotional, than rational. They want ready-made answers for their questions and concerns. They don't want to think too hard about it. They want to know the origin of life without waiting for the research. They want to know what happens, if anything, after death, so they can somehow be prepared for it. They want control over their own lives. They want control over others. They want help in desperation. They want to make a safer, better world. They want to live forever.

A God, seems like he could solve all those problems. Hence the desire to believe.

Indoctrination molds the psyche, making the concept seem to be innate.

Inordinate elevation of the importance of faith, numbs their natural skepticism, and renders them more amenable to self deception.

Then the convoluted pseudo-reasoning of apologists, reinforces a believer's delusion, making it difficult for most people to distinguish between a sound conclusion, and a rationalized defense of their preconceptions.

And of course, in our culture, everybody believes it, so it must be true.

Finally, demonizing the very thought, that what you've been taught is in error, frightens many people away, either consciously or subconsciously.

I sometimes think God is Santa Claus for adults.  And yeah, that's trite and cliche, but I think it is true.  Or sometimes, Dad.  Some people need more guidance and reassurance than others.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Mike Cl

Quote from: Solomon Zorn on March 14, 2017, 09:39:07 AM
It's not a song, it's a poem. The structure of the rhythm is a little unusual, but it is consistent:

The meter of the first line, matches the meter of the third line. The meter of the second line, matches the meter of the fourth. The offset structure, is intended to force a pause between lines.
I am not a fan of poetry.  I do like some of it, tho.  Like Gibran and McKuen--not all but most.  And Dr. Suess.  But it seems to me that poetry is like beauty--in the eye of the beholder.  And you, Zorn, are in the category of McKuen or Suess--like some of your work and not others.  And I found that I liked quite a bit of Ferlinghetti--and I sort of place you with him.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Solomon Zorn

Quote from: Mike Cl on March 14, 2017, 11:03:05 AM
I am not a fan of poetry.  I do like some of it, tho.  Like Gibran and McKuen--not all but most.  And Dr. Suess.  But it seems to me that poetry is like beauty--in the eye of the beholder.  And you, Zorn, are in the category of McKuen or Suess--like some of your work and not others.  And I found that I liked quite a bit of Ferlinghetti--and I sort of place you with him.
Thanks...I think.

To be honest, I'm not that big of a poetry fan, myself. If it doesn't have a theme, that resonates with me, and doesn't state it, in a way that strikes me as clever or profound, then I get bored with it.

I looked up Ferlinghetti. He writes free-verse, which is quite different from the poems I write. A free-verse writer can write all day long, and never have to go back and make a correction. The poems I write, are meticulously structured(not that that means they're any good), and it can take several days just to perfect a few stanzas. I've been known to opine, that free-verse isn't really the same thing, as poetry.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Solomon Zorn on March 14, 2017, 01:21:29 PM
Thanks...I think.

To be honest, I'm not that big of a poetry fan, myself. If it doesn't have a theme, that resonates with me, and doesn't state it, in a way that strikes me as clever or profound, then I get bored with it.

I looked up Ferlinghetti. He writes free-verse, which is quite different from the poems I write. A free-verse writer can write all day long, and never have to go back and make a correction. The poems I write, are meticulously structured(not that that means they're any good), and it can take several days just to perfect a few stanzas. I've been known to opine, that free-verse isn't really the same thing, as poetry.
Yeah, it was a complement.  I don't know enough about poetry to put you or any other poet, into a category.  I know of two categories for me--like or dislike.  At least I will usually take the time to read you. :))
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

SGOS

Shakespeare has been referred to as a poet.  I don't see it.  I just sounds like some guy writing in a now defunct style.  But old literature was never really my thing.  Other than that, I think Shakespeare did spin a good yarn from time to time.

A few years ago, I was visiting some friends, and one of the things we did was go to a performance of Julius Caesar.  It seems fashionable today to present Shakespeare's plays in a modern format.  You know; Make it interesting by rewriting Romeo and Juliet as high school students from the Bronx.  Some of the plays are timeless and lend themselves to modern problems, so I get it, but it's been done more times than necessary.

So the Julius Caesar we saw was done in as a martial arts presentation.  While some actor was blabbering out Shakespeare's lines, others positioned artistically about the stage were striking fierce karate poses, and I'm thinking, "Is there no end to the ways to fuck up Shakespeare?  How much longer do I have to sit here?"  I had visions of the original Globe Theater with drunken theater goers throwing rotten garbage at the actors.  But I resisted, and eventually the play ended.  Without commenting or soliciting any reactions from my hosts, they apologized for the poor choice of entertainment on the way home.

Baruch

Read the Star Wars stories done Shakespeare style.  The opposite of your example.  Six books by Jan Doescher.  I like it for the language.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on March 14, 2017, 02:35:44 PM
Shakespeare has been referred to as a poet.  I don't see it.  I just sounds like some guy writing in a now defunct style.  But old literature was never really my thing.  Other than that, I think Shakespeare did spin a good yarn from time to time.

A few years ago, I was visiting some friends, and one of the things we did was go to a performance of Julius Caesar.  It seems fashionable today to present Shakespeare's plays in a modern format.  You know; Make it interesting by rewriting Romeo and Juliet as high school students from the Bronx.  Some of the plays are timeless and lend themselves to modern problems, so I get it, but it's been done more times than necessary.

So the Julius Caesar we saw was done in as a martial arts presentation.  While some actor was blabbering out Shakespeare's lines, others positioned artistically about the stage were striking fierce karate poses, and I'm thinking, "Is there no end to the ways to fuck up Shakespeare?  How much longer do I have to sit here?"  I had visions of the original Globe Theater with drunken theater goers throwing rotten garbage at the actors.  But I resisted, and eventually the play ended.  Without commenting or soliciting any reactions from my hosts, they apologized for the poor choice of entertainment on the way home.

One would have to ask Shakespeare.  But I do admire West Side Story.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

trdsf

Quote from: SGOS on March 14, 2017, 02:35:44 PM

All things considered, I think I would prefer a wuxia version of Julius Caesar to a production as written.  My favorite adaptations of Shakespeare are Forbidden Planet (of The Tempest) and Strange Brew (as an inside-out Hamlet) -- I am a reasonably intelligent and literate man, but I simply do not find Shakespeare accessible in the original.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan