News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Latest on Global Warming

Started by Baruch, March 05, 2017, 07:24:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

http://www.nwtgeoscience.ca/news/research-paper-published-geology-examines-permafrost-thaw

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/06/160613122211.htm

So natural and man-made sources of carbon dioxide.  And warming, by any cause potentially releases much more than industry.  This doesn't count all the methane stored in the arctic, in the same direction as carbon dioxide.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

fencerider

I'm sure the scientists know this but the article left out the fact that the ocean is a giant sink for methane gas. The warmer it gets, the more is going to come out of solution into the air. Occassionally ships run into a place where methane is boiling out of the water.

Maybe we end up with flammable air.... well we dont like it but kinda used to fire in CA.
"Do you believe in god?", is not a proper English sentence. Unless you believe that, "Do you believe in apple?", is a proper English sentence.

Baruch

Quote from: fencerider on March 11, 2017, 06:42:05 PM
I'm sure the scientists know this but the article left out the fact that the ocean is a giant sink for methane gas. The warmer it gets, the more is going to come out of solution into the air. Occassionally ships run into a place where methane is boiling out of the water.

Maybe we end up with flammable air.... well we dont like it but kinda used to fire in CA.

Good reason to get everyone in CA to stop smoking ... anything ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Draconic Aiur

It's not the Earth that is going to die no, they'll be an ice age later in a million years or so. It's the people that are fucked. People that think that Global warming won't harm them are the same as people living near an active volcano and are surprised when there's lava in thee living room.

Baruch

Quote from: Draconic Aiur on November 27, 2017, 11:52:22 AM
It's not the Earth that is going to die no, they'll be an ice age later in a million years or so. It's the people that are fucked. People that think that Global warming won't harm them are the same as people living near an active volcano and are surprised when there's lava in thee living room.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gp47mrEqSaA
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Munch

Quote from: Draconic Aiur on November 27, 2017, 11:52:22 AM

human hubris will result in the deaths of millions regardless. people build towns and cities over fault lines, super volcanoes like yellowstone, on the edge of crumbling cliffs into the sea because 'the views nice', and on coastlines expecting there never to be a tsunami

There are more people alive now then any other time in history, people are spread to every corner of the globe, so any natural disaster thats just part of the earths natural cycle of life will kill of millions, and nothing can be done to stop it.

In a way its kind of satisfying, that nature will out.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Hydra009

Quote from: Draconic Aiur on November 27, 2017, 11:52:22 AMIt's not the Earth that is going to die no, they'll be an ice age later in a million years or so. It's the people that are fucked. People that think that Global warming won't harm them are the same as people living near an active volcano and are surprised when there's lava in thee living room.
It's difficult to conceptualize global warming.  A lot of people probably picture it as a thermometer differing a few degrees.  So we'll wear coats less often in the winter, what's the big deal?

Of course, the reality of the situation is that that humanity survives entirely because of the productivity of various ecosystems.  These ecosystems are facing severe disruption.  And these disruptions work their way all the way up the food chain to us.

Baruch

Quote from: Hydra009 on November 27, 2017, 08:59:10 PM
It's difficult to conceptualize global warming.  A lot of people probably picture it as a thermometer differing a few degrees.  So we'll wear coats less often in the winter, what's the big deal?

Of course, the reality of the situation is that that humanity survives entirely because of the productivity of various ecosystems.  These ecosystems are facing severe disruption.  And these disruptions work their way all the way up the food chain to us.

Don't worry, hydroponics, artificial meat, or Geoge Jetson's food pill will save us.  The other animals are just useless eaters (see also poor people) who are just using up useful oxygen and putting out carbon dioxide.  We don't need no stinkin' badges, or ecology.  We were promised a free pony who shits a rainbow of Skittles ... so much for Earth Day 1970 (I was there).

I will, in any technical post, be harsh on, any "free lunch" or "techno-fantasy".  You can do wonderful things, but only if on a small scale, and only if you can afford it.  But for now, we don't pay the true price for anything, in the First World.  And extending First World conditions to the whole human race, is ... a numbers problem.  You can have any techno-fantasy you want, as long as you have unlimited free resources ... and no ecological footprint ... aka US before Earth Day 1970.

Gif on CO2 production over time:

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/AstonishingAdmirableChinchilla-size_restricted.gif

China is #1, US is #2, India is #3
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on November 28, 2017, 03:50:28 AM
Don't worry, hydroponics, artificial meat, or Geoge Jetson's food pill will save us.  The other animals are just useless eaters (see also poor people) who are just using up useful oxygen and putting out carbon dioxide.  We don't need no stinkin' badges, or ecology.  We were promised a free pony who shits a rainbow of Skittles ... so much for Earth Day 1970 (I was there).

I will, in any technical post, be harsh on, any "free lunch" or "techno-fantasy".  You can do wonderful things, but only if on a small scale, and only if you can afford it.  But for now, we don't pay the true price for anything, in the First World.  And extending First World conditions to the whole human race, is ... a numbers problem.  You can have any techno-fantasy you want, as long as you have unlimited free resources ... and no ecological footprint ... aka US before Earth Day 1970.

Gif on CO2 production over time:

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/AstonishingAdmirableChinchilla-size_restricted.gif

China is #1, US is #2, India is #3

Yeah, no problem.  We will just eat babies until the population reaches a natural balance.   Solves everything.  We'll start with the Irish, of course...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on December 26, 2017, 04:40:30 AM
Yeah, no problem.  We will just eat babies until the population reaches a natural balance.   Solves everything.  We'll start with the Irish, of course...

You are probably right, unfortunately.  Humans are an extinction species ... extincting themselves and taking a lot of other species with them.  So sapiens we are.  And no, the Gentiles start with Jews, we are the appetizer.  The Irish are the main course.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on December 26, 2017, 09:18:02 AM
You are probably right, unfortunately.  Humans are an extinction species ... extincting themselves and taking a lot of other species with them.  So sapiens we are.  And no, the Gentiles start with Jews, we are the appetizer.  The Irish are the main course.

You didn't "get it", did you?

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on December 26, 2017, 09:22:33 AM
You didn't "get it", did you?

I did ... I have proposed a "modest proposal" for R-D people before ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on December 26, 2017, 09:23:18 AM
I did ... I have proposed a "modest proposal" for R-D people before ;-)

Ah, It wasn't obvious you did.  In deed, indeed, it was almost most uncertain.

The modest proposal is understood.