HUD awards $48 M to relocate US's first official climate refugees

Started by PopeyesPappy, March 02, 2017, 04:25:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PopeyesPappy

The US Department of Housing and Urban Development awarded $48 million to the state of Louisiana to relocate the residents of Isle de Jean Charles off the island to higher ground making the residents of Isle de Jean Charles the country's first-ever climate refugees. Most of the the island's residents are members of the Biloxi-Chitimacha-Choctaw Native American tribes or United Houma Nation, which can trace their settlement on the island back to the Indian Removal Act of 1830.

We put them there we might as well move them again. Somehow I doubt people living in threatened areas are going to get such generous help in the many decades of what is coming... 

http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/02/us/heart-of-the-matter-climate-change-louisiana/index.html
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

Baruch

Louisiana has been sinking, ever since the US Army Corp of Engineers increased the diversion of the portion of the Mississippi that went thru the Atchafalaya.  The silt necessary to keep the Delta and the Big Easy afloat, hasn't been going downstream like it should.  I think all refugees should be moved to Washington DC. since they are the ultimate source of the policies that make refugees necessary.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

The first of many.

A lot of talk is made of the "unacceptable" cost of mitigating climate change, but the cost of doing nothing is far higher.

doorknob

Cavebear

Quote from: doorknob on March 03, 2017, 03:09:45 PM
oh but climate change isn't real!

Hoping that was a slight joke.  Otherwise, you are knowledgeable.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

chill98

Quote from: Baruch on March 02, 2017, 06:48:46 PM
Louisiana has been sinking, ever since the US Army Corp of Engineers increased the diversion of the portion of the Mississippi that went thru the Atchafalaya.  The silt necessary to keep the Delta and the Big Easy afloat, hasn't been going downstream like it should.  I think all refugees should be moved to Washington DC. since they are the ultimate source of the policies that make refugees necessary.
Nice to see someone mention the Atchafalaya.   But don't dismiss the many locks and dams further north that began to restrict silt all along the might Miss and its tributaries. 

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: Baruch on March 05, 2017, 10:50:49 PM
They were only trying to control the river, after the great flood of 1927 ...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Mississippi_Flood_of_1927
An interesting link about a thing I didn't know about.

Hydra009

Quote from: Cavebear on March 05, 2017, 01:31:56 AM
Hoping that was a slight joke.  Otherwise, you are knowledgeable.
I'm 99.999% certain it was a joke.

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on March 06, 2017, 12:21:57 PM
How the fuck does silt keep anything "afloat"?

The silt is constantly being washed into the Gulf.  If it is replaced, then the Big Easy stays only slightly below sea level.  Silt is compressible, so that is why graves in Big Easy are above ground.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Baruch on March 06, 2017, 12:25:46 PM
The silt is constantly being washed into the Gulf.  If it is replaced, then the Big Easy stays only slightly below sea level.  Silt is compressible, so that is why graves in Big Easy are above ground.
Mad no sense.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

PopeyesPappy

What I'm surprised no one has keyed in on is $48 million to relocate 30 families. That's $1.6 million per family. I could have built them all nice new homes and moved them for 1/4 of that and still made money...
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on March 06, 2017, 04:48:41 PM
What I'm surprised no one has keyed in on is $48 million to relocate 30 families. That's $1.6 million per family. I could have built them all nice new homes and moved them for 1/4 of that and still made money...
Depends on  how much property they have.
PZ Myers

Draconic Aiur