Author Topic: How Not To Spell Phonetically  (Read 284 times)

Offline trdsf (OP)

How Not To Spell Phonetically
« on: March 02, 2017, 11:27:21 AM »
From a real call I had this morning, caller reading back something to me to make sure he had it spelled correctly: "Okay, that's D as in David, L as in... uh... something that starts with L."

That's right up there with the time I gave someone the phonetic spelling "That's K as in Knife... uh.  May I try that again?"
"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning." -- Calvin and Hobbes
"Confused? At a loss for what to do? Wow, sounds like you're human. Good luck." -- Welcome to Night Vale

Offline Sal1981

Re: How Not To Spell Phonetically
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 01:15:58 PM »
Opportunity missed. L as in Leroy.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool" --- Richard P. Feynman

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2017, 01:40:28 PM »
M as in Mancy :P

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2017, 02:12:19 PM »
Fauxnetically.

How'd I do?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2017, 03:58:02 PM »
A   Alpha
B   Bravo
C   Charlie
D   Delta
E   Echo
F   Foxtrot
G   Golf
H   Hotel
I   India
J   Juliet
K   Kilo
L   Lima
M   Mike
N   November
O   Oscar
P   Papa
Q   Quebec
R   Romeo
S   Sierra
T   Tango
U   Uniform
V   Victor
W   Whiskey
X   X-ray
Y   Yankee
Z   Zulu

Is what they taught me almost 40 years ago.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2017, 04:40:07 PM »
A   Alpha
B   Bravo
C   Charlie
D   Delta
E   Echo
F   Foxtrot
G   Golf
H   Hotel
I   India
J   Juliet
K   Kilo
L   Lima
M   Mike
N   November
O   Oscar
P   Papa
Q   Quebec
R   Romeo
S   Sierra
T   Tango
U   Uniform
V   Victor
W   Whiskey
X   X-ray
Y   Yankee
Z   Zulu

Boot camp, 1969. Eighty recruits chanting that at least once every evening before lights out.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Offline trdsf (OP)

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2017, 11:29:08 PM »
Speaking of spelling on the phone...

If it doesn't start there directly, it starts at 10:20.
"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning." -- Calvin and Hobbes
"Confused? At a loss for what to do? Wow, sounds like you're human. Good luck." -- Welcome to Night Vale

Offline trdsf (OP)

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2017, 12:44:59 PM »
Okay, "L as in something that starts with L" has been dethroned.

One of our callers just did "H as in whore".

Offline Cavebear

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2017, 12:36:12 AM »
Okay, "L as in something that starts with L" has been dethroned.

One of our callers just did "H as in whore".

At one point in my career, I had to spell codes to people on the phone.  I kept the standard list taped to the wall.  But others didn't and some times gave interesting versions back.  I always crack up recalling getting "N for Pneumonia".

But reading "whore"" also reminds of 2 funny mistakes by friends and one of my own.  One friend referred to "whore-frost on the soil and I only caught the error when he attempted to explain the origin.  Another thought the plant cowslips was "cow's lips" not "cow slips".  I myself, as an early reader, thought Ulysses's wife was pronounced "Penelope" like "envelope". Seemed sensible...   LOL!
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead

Offline Atheon

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2017, 02:52:02 PM »
A as in Au Pair
C as in Cnidarian
G as in Gjetost
H as in Hour
J as in Jarlsberg
K as in Knight
P an in Pneumonia
S as in Szczecin
W as in Wrong
X as in Xi'an
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2017, 03:36:59 PM »
Parenthetically is one way to not spell phonetically.
PZ Myers

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2017, 12:21:57 AM »
J as in Jarlsberg
I actually do pronounce it Jarles-berg.  Is the J silent?  If so, I've been doing it wrong all my life.

Route = root or rout?

Offline Atheon

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2017, 12:35:54 AM »
I actually do pronounce it Jarles-berg.  Is the J silent?  If so, I've been doing it wrong all my life.
The J is pronounced like a Y instead of like a J.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2017, 08:43:05 AM »
The J is pronounced like a Y instead of like a J.
Jes, it is.
PZ Myers

Offline SGOS

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2017, 08:51:28 AM »
A   Alpha
B   Bravo
C   Charlie
D   Delta
E   Echo
F   Foxtrot
G   Golf
H   Hotel
I   India
J   Juliet
K   Kilo
L   Lima
M   Mike
N   November
O   Oscar
P   Papa
Q   Quebec
R   Romeo
S   Sierra
T   Tango
U   Uniform
V   Victor
W   Whiskey
X   X-ray
Y   Yankee
Z   Zulu

When I learned it was:
Able
Baker
Charlie
Dog
Easy
Fox
etc, etc, etc

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joint_Army/Navy_Phonetic_Alphabet

That was before 1956.  My Boy Scout Leader was a former radioman in the Army, and made us learn the Morse Code and march around the school playground.  It was actually kind of fun.  I might have been a good soldier.  Well, a good marcher, anyway.