Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

How Not To Spell Phonetically

Started by trdsf, March 02, 2017, 11:27:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

Hydra009

Quote from: Atheon on March 20, 2017, 12:35:54 AM
The J is pronounced like a Y instead of like a J.
Surelj you yest.

Mr.Obvious

"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Hydra009

Next you guys will tell me pecan isn't pronounced "pee-kahn", aunt doesn't rhyme with want, creek doesn't rhyme with week, and caramel doesn't have 3 syllables.

trdsf

Quote from: Hydra009 on March 20, 2017, 12:35:18 PM
Next you guys will tell me pecan isn't pronounced "pee-kahn", aunt doesn't rhyme with want, creek doesn't rhyme with week, and caramel doesn't have 3 syllables.
The second and third, yeah, they don't.  I've always pronounced them 'ant' and 'crick'.

But is is car-a-mel, or care-a-mel?
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Hydra009

trdsf

Quote from: Hydra009 on March 20, 2017, 04:39:35 PM
care-a-mel
Huh.

I've always done car-(uh)-mel -- barely more than two syllables but not quite three.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Unbeliever

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Cavebear

Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

admissioninfo

Foundation for Spelling Success

To develop a foundation for spelling success and strengthen spelling skills the student needs to:

Develop Phonemic Awareness:  Phonemic awareness (PA) is critical to spelling development.   The child needs to be able to recognize and distinguish the sounds within spoken words in order to then translate these sounds back to print. If the child has a phonemic weakness, you need to help that child strengthen their phonemic awareness with PA training. The great news is that research proves PA training has “strong and significant effects on reading and spelling development” (National Reading Panel) See Phonemic Awareness Explained.
    Understand phonemic nature of spelling: The student needs to understand written English is based on a phonemic code. In other words printed black squiggles represent sounds in the word.
    Learn the phonemic code:  The student needs to learn the complete phonemic code. The English phonemic code is complex and the student needs to learn the complete code in order to handle these complexities. The student needs to learn the code systematically beginning with the basic code and then adding the complexities with vowel combinations, r-controlled combinations and other intricacies. Although there is code overlap (more than one way to write a sound), irregular and unexpected spellings, English is based on this phonemic code.
    Approach the process of spelling phonemically: The student needs to base their spelling on converting the sounds in the spoken word into print. They need to write the phonemic code for the sounds in the word. Spelling needs to be approached as recoding sound to print. Once again phonemic awareness is a critical skill. The child must have the phonemic awareness to recognize and distinguish the sounds within words. If your child has a phonemic weakness, you need to help the child strengthen their phonemic awareness.
    Acquire knowledge of spelling patterns and learn helpful guidelines: The student needs to learn and practice the common spelling patterns that are used in English. There are also guidelines that can help us learn correct spelling.  While there are exceptions and irregularities most words follow common patterns. There are also a number of helpful guidelines to aid us in accurate spelling. Children are better able to achieve spelling success when they learn and practice these common patterns and helpful guidelines. 
    Learn/memorize specific and  ‘tricky’ spellings: For accurate spelling the student does need to learn the correct spelling for common words and begin memorizing the specific spelling pattern used for particular words. Accurate spelling can be tricky and does require remembering which spelling pattern is used within certain words.

[mod]Edited to remove spammy link.

Removed your signature too. You can add them back once you've been around for a while. [/mod]

Cavebear

Quote from: admissioninfo on April 21, 2017, 03:55:34 AM
Foundation for Spelling Success

To develop a foundation for spelling success and strengthen spelling skills the student needs to:

Develop Phonemic Awareness:  Phonemic awareness (PA) is critical to spelling development.   The child needs to be able to recognize and distinguish the sounds within spoken words in order to then translate these sounds back to print. If the child has a phonemic weakness, you need to help that child strengthen their phonemic awareness with PA training. The great news is that research proves PA training has “strong and significant effects on reading and spelling development” (National Reading Panel) See Phonemic Awareness Explained.
    Understand phonemic nature of spelling: The student needs to understand written English is based on a phonemic code. In other words printed black squiggles represent sounds in the word.
    Learn the phonemic code:  The student needs to learn the complete phonemic code. The English phonemic code is complex and the student needs to learn the complete code in order to handle these complexities. The student needs to learn the code systematically beginning with the basic code and then adding the complexities with vowel combinations, r-controlled combinations and other intricacies. Although there is code overlap (more than one way to write a sound), irregular and unexpected spellings, English is based on this phonemic code.
    Approach the process of spelling phonemically: The student needs to base their spelling on converting the sounds in the spoken word into print. They need to write the phonemic code for the sounds in the word. Spelling needs to be approached as recoding sound to print. Once again phonemic awareness is a critical skill. The child must have the phonemic awareness to recognize and distinguish the sounds within words. If your child has a phonemic weakness, you need to help the child strengthen their phonemic awareness.
    Acquire knowledge of spelling patterns and learn helpful guidelines: The student needs to learn and practice the common spelling patterns that are used in English. There are also guidelines that can help us learn correct spelling.  While there are exceptions and irregularities most words follow common patterns. There are also a number of helpful guidelines to aid us in accurate spelling. Children are better able to achieve spelling success when they learn and practice these common patterns and helpful guidelines. 
    Learn/memorize specific and  ‘tricky’ spellings: For accurate spelling the student does need to learn the correct spelling for common words and begin memorizing the specific spelling pattern used for particular words. Accurate spelling can be tricky and does require remembering which spelling pattern is used within certain words.

A superb disproof of the theory of phonetics!

fencerider

I always say it ca ramm ul to throw people off
"Do you believe in god?", is not a proper English sentence. Unless you believe that, "Do you believe in apple?", is a proper English sentence.

Cavebear

And there is the old "ghoti" equals "fish" (gh as in "rough", o as in "women" and ti as in "motion") ...

Cavebear

Shouldn't "phonemic" be spelled "fonemik"?

trdsf

Quote from: Cavebear on May 12, 2017, 01:25:53 AM
Shouldn't "phonemic" be spelled "fonemik"?
That was exactly the kind of spelling reform that Teddy Roosevelt championed.

Personally, I'd rather see a shift to the Shavian alphabet, where each letter has one and only one sound so there's no question about how something is pronounced.