News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

How Not To Spell Phonetically

Started by trdsf, March 02, 2017, 11:27:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trdsf

From a real call I had this morning, caller reading back something to me to make sure he had it spelled correctly: "Okay, that's D as in David, L as in... uh... something that starts with L."

That's right up there with the time I gave someone the phonetic spelling "That's K as in Knife... uh.  May I try that again?"
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Sal1981

Opportunity missed. L as in Leroy.

Hydra009

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

PopeyesPappy

A   Alpha
B   Bravo
C   Charlie
D   Delta
E   Echo
F   Foxtrot
G   Golf
H   Hotel
I   India
J   Juliet
K   Kilo
L   Lima
M   Mike
N   November
O   Oscar
P   Papa
Q   Quebec
R   Romeo
S   Sierra
T   Tango
U   Uniform
V   Victor
W   Whiskey
X   X-ray
Y   Yankee
Z   Zulu

Is what they taught me almost 40 years ago.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on March 02, 2017, 03:58:02 PM
A   Alpha
B   Bravo
C   Charlie
D   Delta
E   Echo
F   Foxtrot
G   Golf
H   Hotel
I   India
J   Juliet
K   Kilo
L   Lima
M   Mike
N   November
O   Oscar
P   Papa
Q   Quebec
R   Romeo
S   Sierra
T   Tango
U   Uniform
V   Victor
W   Whiskey
X   X-ray
Y   Yankee
Z   Zulu

Boot camp, 1969. Eighty recruits chanting that at least once every evening before lights out.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

trdsf

Speaking of spelling on the phone...

https://youtu.be/hUJLczoyVlI?t=620

If it doesn't start there directly, it starts at 10:20.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

trdsf

Okay, "L as in something that starts with L" has been dethroned.

One of our callers just did "H as in whore".

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on March 10, 2017, 12:44:59 PM
Okay, "L as in something that starts with L" has been dethroned.

One of our callers just did "H as in whore".

At one point in my career, I had to spell codes to people on the phone.  I kept the standard list taped to the wall.  But others didn't and some times gave interesting versions back.  I always crack up recalling getting "N for Pneumonia".

But reading "whore"" also reminds of 2 funny mistakes by friends and one of my own.  One friend referred to "whore-frost on the soil and I only caught the error when he attempted to explain the origin.  Another thought the plant cowslips was "cow's lips" not "cow slips".  I myself, as an early reader, thought Ulysses's wife was pronounced "Penelope" like "envelope". Seemed sensible...   LOL!
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Atheon

A as in Au Pair
C as in Cnidarian
G as in Gjetost
H as in Hour
J as in Jarlsberg
K as in Knight
P an in Pneumonia
S as in Szczecin
W as in Wrong
X as in Xi'an
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Gawdzilla Sama

Parenthetically is one way to not spell phonetically.
PZ Myers

Hydra009

Quote from: Atheon on March 19, 2017, 02:52:02 PMJ as in Jarlsberg
I actually do pronounce it Jarles-berg.  Is the J silent?  If so, I've been doing it wrong all my life.

Route = root or rout?

Atheon

Quote from: Hydra009 on March 20, 2017, 12:21:57 AM
I actually do pronounce it Jarles-berg.  Is the J silent?  If so, I've been doing it wrong all my life.
The J is pronounced like a Y instead of like a J.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Gawdzilla Sama

PZ Myers

SGOS

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on March 02, 2017, 03:58:02 PM
A   Alpha
B   Bravo
C   Charlie
D   Delta
E   Echo
F   Foxtrot
G   Golf
H   Hotel
I   India
J   Juliet
K   Kilo
L   Lima
M   Mike
N   November
O   Oscar
P   Papa
Q   Quebec
R   Romeo
S   Sierra
T   Tango
U   Uniform
V   Victor
W   Whiskey
X   X-ray
Y   Yankee
Z   Zulu

When I learned it was:
Able
Baker
Charlie
Dog
Easy
Fox
etc, etc, etc

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joint_Army/Navy_Phonetic_Alphabet

That was before 1956.  My Boy Scout Leader was a former radioman in the Army, and made us learn the Morse Code and march around the school playground.  It was actually kind of fun.  I might have been a good soldier.  Well, a good marcher, anyway.