Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Democrat Strategy vs. Trump

Started by Sylar, March 01, 2017, 09:24:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Solomon Zorn on March 31, 2017, 08:28:50 AM
Can I get an AMEN?

Just to piss you off, I'm going to point out that the current economic prosperity(it's there - don't believe the hype), is due to Clinton's policies, nearly nullified by G.W.Bush, and recovered by drastic measures, taken early in the Obama administration.

If we look at the period from 1993 until now ... yes, Bill Clinton did a better job ... too bad he is an asshole.  I liked the guy in 92, voted for him.  He did some bad stuff along the way (NAFTA, abolish financial regs, pardon criminals) ... but then what President doesn't?  But Hillary isn't him.  George W/Dick ... a very bad pair.  Barak/Biden ... also bad, almost as bad as the prior pair.  Hank Paulson/Ben Bernanke ... saved the universe 2008/2009 ... to bad you have yet to pay for it.  It will be painful.  If you are a single issue voter (gays) then Barak is a god.  But I am not a single issue voter.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: FaithIsFilth on March 31, 2017, 12:48:04 PM
The man is completely losing it. A couple weeks ago he accused Rand Paul of working for Vladimir Putin, with no evidence whatsoever to back up his statement. Very inappropriate behaviour, calling out someone as a traitor with nothing to back it up.

You are joking?  They are all all traitors.  Ask Hillary about that uranium deal with Russia ... or Biden family involvement in Ukraine.  All Americans are traitors.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Quote from: Solomon Zorn on March 29, 2017, 01:39:56 PMI still have a great deal of respect for John McCain.
He occasionally says things that make sense, like on torture and climate change.  And to his credit, he also backed campaign finance reform.  But his track record is not pretty.  He also voted badly in the latest ISP bill.  Even if I agreed with him on every other issue (which I don't, the guy wants to repeal Roe V Wade and has troubling foreign policy stances - supporting the Iraq War, joking about bombing Iran, etc), being against net neutrality is pretty much a deal-breaker.

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: Hydra009 on March 31, 2017, 02:30:29 PM
He occasionally says things that make sense, like on torture and climate change.  And to his credit, he also backed campaign finance reform.  But his track record is not pretty.  He also voted badly in the latest ISP bill.  Even if I agreed with him on every other issue (which I don't, the guy wants to repeal Roe V Wade and has troubling foreign policy stances - supporting the Iraq War, joking about bombing Iran, etc), being against net neutrality is pretty much a deal-breaker.

Just a technicality here but Roe v Wade can't be repealed. It can be overturned by SCOTUS or rendered obsolete through constitutional amendment, but congress doesn't have the power to repeal a decision of the courts.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

Hydra009

QuoteQ: Would the day that Roe v. Wade is repealed be a good day for America?

ROMNEY: Absolutely.

BROWNBACK: It would be a glorious day of human liberty and freedom.

GILMORE: Yes, it was wrongly decided.

HUCKABEE: Most certainly.

HUNTER: Yes.

THOMPSON: Yes.

McCAIN: A repeal.

GIULIANI: It would be OK to repeal.

TANCREDO: After 40 million dead because we have aborted them in this country, that would be the greatest day in this country’s history when that, in fact, is overturned.
Source: 2007 GOP primary debate at Reagan library, May 3, 2007

PopeyesPappy

The only one that got it right was Tancredo.

Solomon Zorn

Quote from: Hydra009 on March 31, 2017, 02:30:29 PM
I didn't say that I agree with John McCain, Brother, only that I respect him. He seems to me, to have impeccable character, and a respect for the real importance of the office.
If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

Solomon Zorn

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on March 31, 2017, 03:07:38 PM
The only one that got it right was Tancredo.
I hate the thought of destroying a healthy fetus. It is as natural as life itself, to feel that way. If we didn't have that pure and simple emotional reaction to the image, we would not be descendants of the evolved people, that we are descendants of. But here's another image...a government prohibiting a woman from choosing the path of her own life, by requiring her to be a mother. Who has more rights? The fully-realized-person who is impregnated, or the almost-realized-person fetus? I hate abortion, but the rights of the woman to her own body, and her own life, and her own reproductive destiny, has to trump the rights of the unborn fetus.

Just make the "morning-after-pill" available over-the-counter, and avoid the whole dilemma...

Solomon Zorn

Quote from: Baruch
If we look at the period from 1993 until now ... yes, Bill Clinton did a better job ... too bad he is an asshole.
Yeah, but he got a BJ from Marilyn Monroe, under the Resolute Desk, right?

Quote from: BaruchI liked the guy in 92, voted for him.  He did some bad stuff along the way (NAFTA, abolish financial regs, pardon criminals) ... but then what President doesn't?
That's the most reasonable thing I've ever heard you say, about Bill Clinton.

Quote from: Baruch...George W/Dick ... a very bad pair.  Barak/Biden ... also bad, almost as bad as the prior pair... If you are a single issue voter (gays) then Barak is a god.  But I am not a single issue voter.
I think you know, that I could do a side-by-side comparison of Bush/Cheney and Obama/Biden, and demonstrate quite conclusively, that the latter is nowhere near the same league of incompetence, as the former. I'm certainly not a single-issue voter, but I think that Obama is the most unreasonably obstructed and maligned president, that I have seen, and at the same time the most intelligent, and even-tempered that I have seen.

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: Solomon Zorn on March 31, 2017, 03:48:44 PM
I hate the thought of destroying a healthy fetus. It is as natural as life itself, to feel that way. If we didn't have that pure and simple emotional reaction to the image, we would not be descendants of the evolved people, that we are descendants of. But here's another image...a government prohibiting a woman from choosing the path of her own life, by requiring her to be a mother. Who has more rights? The fully-realized-person who is impregnated, or the almost-realized-person fetus? I hate abortion, but the rights of the woman to her own body, and her own life, and her own reproductive destiny, has to trump the rights of the unborn fetus.

Just make the "morning-after-pill" available over-the-counter, and avoid the whole dilemma...

Sorry I didn't mean to make it sound like I agree with the sentiment. I don't. Just trying to say Tancredo is apparently the only one of our esteemed lawmakers quoted that was familiar enough with our laws to use the correct terminology for the process that would be required. . 

Sylar

Quote from: Solomon Zorn on March 29, 2017, 02:21:37 AM
You seem to have mistaken me for a Democrat. While I support more Democratic policies, than any other party, I would prefer not to sign-up with any particular group. It's not "the right thing to do," just because a party says it's right. I can think for myself.

If the Republicans were to, hypothetically, do a 180, and become the ones that represent me, then I would vote Republican.

I didn't mean to imply that you are Democrat, so my apologies for that.

I come off as heavily partisan, perhaps for good reason, but this is the first year I've registered as a Democrat (previously I never disclosed a party preference), so I can vote for Bernie in Primary.

I do agree with D Party on most issues, but I have voted for Republicans (usually in local or state elections) that made sense.

But sometimes the issues alone do not determine vote preference - political system should account for something. I think voting GOP, with the current stances it holds, in state elections right before a census is a huge mistake, regardless of who is running. That is because partisan gerrymandering is still legal, and it is done by state legislatures in most states. If we're going to have a gerrymandered House, I'd rather Democrats have upperhand.

Quote from: Solomon Zorn on March 29, 2017, 02:21:37 AMIt's running the country that matters. What you are advocating, is to continue this perpetual cycle of polarized obstructionism. We build it up, they tear it down.

But in the long run it's all moot. In the end, they had to face up to how grim the real-life consequences would be, if they implemented their draconian Trumpcare bill, and some of them didn't have the stomach for it. Others didn't think it was quite cutthroat enough. So Obamacare continues...

I'm advocating a targeted strategy that includes obstructing this administration, yes, but you should take into account that D party is historically more inclined to compromise. Democrats depend on government working; now they can't do anything about executive actions, but they can oppose legislative action contrary to that formula.

Health care should be a bipartisan endeavor, but I do not trust GOP to come out with anything of worth.
"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all." --Oscar Wilde

Baruch

Quote from: Solomon Zorn on March 31, 2017, 04:09:12 PM
Yeah, but he got a BJ from Marilyn Monroe, under the Resolute Desk, right?

That's the most reasonable thing I've ever heard you say, about Bill Clinton.

I think you know, that I could do a side-by-side comparison of Bush/Cheney and Obama/Biden, and demonstrate quite conclusively, that the latter is nowhere near the same league of incompetence, as the former. I'm certainly not a single-issue voter, but I think that Obama is the most unreasonably obstructed and maligned president, that I have seen, and at the same time the most intelligent, and even-tempered that I have seen.

Bill Clinton?  So did Jack Kennedy ... another sex predator.  Of course some women are sex predators too.  Cut their dicks off.

I have always been fair to the real Bill Clinton, he could have been a great saxophone player, but wanted to be President instead.  I blame that insane witch of a wife of his.

So ... Civics 101.  A good friend of mine would say ... every Administration, would have an opposing Congress ... that is what the founders intended, that the government would be hamstrung from screwing the People.  In your system, the President wins it all.  No Congress, no SCOTUS, no opposition from his own party.  Gets to be a tin god for 4 years (or 8 years).

The Democrats are crybabies, every year I have been alive.  Kennedy tried to be a real man, but failed to duck.  If LBJ was a real man, he would have drunk Vietnamese blood from Ho Chi Minh's skull, made Pol Pot look civilized.  Just another crybaby.  Truman would have drafted all the College students ... including Cheney.  Had to have the CIA kill his boss, to get the job he felt entitled too in 1960 election.  I still like Truman, but he was President before I was alive.

Nixon etc are assholes, all the way down.  Eisenhower loathed Nixon ... was forced to put him on the ticket, as an experienced politician.  Carter should have nuked Teheran ... another opportunity lost ... too bad that rabbit scared him out of the bayou.  Carter is a descent man, would be happy to shake his hand.  No other President since Eisenhower ... would I shake his hand.  No candidate since I have been voting ... would I shake their hand (or have a beer with) knowing what I know now.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Solomon Zorn on March 31, 2017, 08:28:50 AM
Can I get an AMEN?

Just to piss you off, I'm going to point out that the current economic prosperity(it's there - don't believe the hype), is due to Clinton's policies, nearly nullified by G.W.Bush, and recovered by drastic measures, taken early in the Obama administration.

Clinton gave us a balanced budget, Bush brought us nearly to ruin again, Obama got us slowly out of it, and the Republicans want to repeat the crash.  Are voters insane?

Apparently.  Oh wait, most voters didn't vote for Trump.  And his approval rating is CRASHING!
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!