News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

In The Lion's Den

Started by Xerographica, February 27, 2017, 06:10:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xerographica

Right now I'm just starting to use a forum to test my belief in the Invisible Hand... Most Valuable OTP Threads.  But the forum is super right wing.  So as far as atheism is concerned, I'm like Daniel in the lion's den.  Hah. 

I started a thread about a Bible story (Laban's Trick)... but I really haven't outed myself as an atheist.  Right now quite a few of the members dislike the fact that I'm using their forum to test the Invisible Hand.  So I think it's entirely possible that outing myself as an atheist would be the last straw for them.  They'd give me the boot super fast. 

If I was gay, I wonder which one they'd consider to be worse? 

Anybody want to join me in the lion's den?  :D  We'll secretly meet and not pray together.  You'll also have the incredibly important opportunity to test the Invisible Hand.  Together we'll figure out whether the Invisible Hand helps or hurts people who are in the minority. 

Mr.Obvious

I don't like people coming to this forum with an agenda. I see no reason to do the same to others.

But if you are going to do it; have fun, I guess.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Xerographica

Mr.Obvious, from my perspective it depends on what the agenda is.  Say you're going to Africa.  The issue isn't whether or not you have an agenda.  The issue is what your agenda is.  To help build homes for poor people?  Great.  To convert heathens into Christians?  Well...

From my perspective the primary agenda for members of this forum to join the OTP would be to test the Invisible Hand.  Will this result in OTP turning into Sodom and Gomorrah?  Eh, that would be kinda surprising. 

In theory, the optimal system is one that effectively utilizes all the talents and abilities and information and brainpower of "immigrants".  I think that the Invisible Hand has the potential to make every system more optimal. 

The Skeletal Atheist

Sometimes I sit on my hand until it goes numb and then masturbate with it. I call it "the invisible hand of the free market".
Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

Munch

I reckon theists are more offended and/or passive aggressive to an atheist then someone being gay, because they might think it's more likely they can convert you, and make you purge the evil gay away.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Xerographica on February 27, 2017, 06:43:41 PM
Mr.Obvious, from my perspective it depends on what the agenda is.  Say you're going to Africa.  The issue isn't whether or not you have an agenda.  The issue is what your agenda is.  To help build homes for poor people?  Great.  To convert heathens into Christians?  Well...

Poor phrasing on my part, I guess. But ask yourself which your motivation is closer to? Building bridges, or living underneath one? Mayhaps to you, it's the former, though others may see it as THE latter. Which I'd see it as mine own, were I to join you. So I won't. Still, have fun or whatever.

Cavebear

I am a LOT more concerned about theists than gays.  Like 99.9% vs .01%.  The remaining % is about aliens finding us
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Xerographica

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on March 01, 2017, 11:06:44 AM
Poor phrasing on my part, I guess. But ask yourself which your motivation is closer to? Building bridges, or living underneath one? Mayhaps to you, it's the former, though others may see it as THE latter. Which I'd see it as mine own, were I to join you. So I won't. Still, have fun or whatever.

Let's say that you joined the OTP and put $10 dollars in the pocket of the owner.  Then you'd have 10 tokens to use to try and improve the list of most valuable OTP threads.  You could spend the tokens in quarter increments. 

Firstly, you just put $10 dollars in the owner's pocket.  Clearly this would count as building a bridge rather than living under one.  But now let's imagine that you posted a thread that viciously attacked theism.  This would count as living under a bridge.  But would it undo the bridge that you helped built?  Would your thread be more harmful than your $10 dollars was helpful to the maintenance and operation of the OTP forum? 

Now let's say that you spent 1 token to put your thread on top of the list of most valuable threads.  Would this count as living under a bridge?  Maybe.  Except, then the other members would see which thread you preferred.   They would have the option to use their tokens to put threads that they preferred above your thread.  If they did so, then you'd see and know which threads they preferred. 

How long have I been a member of this forum for?  I have no idea which threads you prefer.  I know that we have atheism in common but beyond that I'm clueless.  Maybe we have anime in common?

There was this anime I watched where this one kid fought against opponents who despised him.  But then they invariably ended up being his best friends.  I really appreciated this aspect. 

I think in real life we tend to overgeneralize our opponents.  We see them as super one-sided but everybody always has multiple sides.  Unfortunately, it's not easy to see these other sides.  But if it was easy to see these other sides... then I'm pretty sure that we'd be more understanding and empathetic. 

With the system of spending tokens on threads, you have the chance to show a bunch of theists your other sides.  And maybe they'll give you the boot without even knowing that you're an atheist!  Who knows!  Nothing ventured nothing gained. 

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Xerographica on March 02, 2017, 05:44:43 AM
Let's say that you joined the OTP and put $10 dollars in the pocket of the owner.  Then you'd have 10 tokens to use to try and improve the list of most valuable OTP threads.  You could spend the tokens in quarter increments. 

Firstly, you just put $10 dollars in the owner's pocket.  Clearly this would count as building a bridge rather than living under one.  But now let's imagine that you posted a thread that viciously attacked theism.  This would count as living under a bridge.  But would it undo the bridge that you helped built?  Would your thread be more harmful than your $10 dollars was helpful to the maintenance and operation of the OTP forum? 

Now let's say that you spent 1 token to put your thread on top of the list of most valuable threads.  Would this count as living under a bridge?  Maybe.  Except, then the other members would see which thread you preferred.   They would have the option to use their tokens to put threads that they preferred above your thread.  If they did so, then you'd see and know which threads they preferred. 

How long have I been a member of this forum for?  I have no idea which threads you prefer.  I know that we have atheism in common but beyond that I'm clueless.  Maybe we have anime in common?

There was this anime I watched where this one kid fought against opponents who despised him.  But then they invariably ended up being his best friends.  I really appreciated this aspect. 

I think in real life we tend to overgeneralize our opponents.  We see them as super one-sided but everybody always has multiple sides.  Unfortunately, it's not easy to see these other sides.  But if it was easy to see these other sides... then I'm pretty sure that we'd be more understanding and empathetic. 

With the system of spending tokens on threads, you have the chance to show a bunch of theists your other sides.  And maybe they'll give you the boot without even knowing that you're an atheist!  Who knows!  Nothing ventured nothing gained.

I'll give you some friendly advice, mate. Don't waste your breath on me.
I'm just telling you: I don't care for going out to another forum, especially not with a hidden agenda and acting like what I would feel like being a troll, aka living under a bridge. I'll wish you amusement for you in your future endeavors. Because if you enjoy yourself and aren't harming anyone and aren't going with a malevolent intent; go nuts.
But as I remember from before and now that you are back; I'm genuinely never interested in any of your ideas. I don't see you as an opponent. I don't despise you. You simply haven't ever said anything that speaks to me, like at all. And I can imagine the opposite being the case too. So, good luck, and I genuinly mean that, but no thanks.

Xerographica

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on March 02, 2017, 06:05:00 AM
I'll give you some friendly advice, mate. Don't waste your breath on me.
Heh, I'll let you in on a little secret... this thread is public.  Everybody and anybody can read my words.  I keep this in mind when I write them. 

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Xerographica on March 02, 2017, 06:25:13 AM
Heh, I'll let you in on a little secret... this thread is public.  Everybody and anybody can read my words.  I keep this in mind when I write them.

Then there is no need to quote me. As now, I'm adressing you

Cavebear

Quote from: Xerographica on March 02, 2017, 05:44:43 AM

Let's just say that was one of the odder posts I've ever read...  Even If a generally agree with you as an atheist.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!