News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Is there religion out there?

Started by fencerider, February 24, 2017, 01:09:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: FinalSomnia on March 14, 2017, 12:31:38 PM
I'm not saying it's the unstoppable farce meets the immovable bore, but...

The King's jester is the smartest guy at court ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

etienne

Quote from: FinalSomnia on March 14, 2017, 12:31:38 PM
I'm not saying it's the unstoppable farce meets the immovable bore, but...
But your "name" says you are already dead, so I dont see the issue hear.
The Revolution does not fall like an apple when it is ripe:  you have to MAKE it fall...

etienne

Quote from: Baruch on March 14, 2017, 12:43:31 PM
The King's jester is the smartest guy at court ;-)
Thats the f'ing TRUTH right there!
The Revolution does not fall like an apple when it is ripe:  you have to MAKE it fall...

etienne

Quote from: Baruch on March 14, 2017, 12:42:37 PM
Etienne and I both agree that bears shit in the woods ;-)
I've got the new coolest thread on this entire board too, where all the cool people want to be.  Baruch and me, that is.

trdsf

Quote from: etienne on March 13, 2017, 06:13:10 PM
I can live w/o velcro, lol!  I don't think there is any substantial case that w/o space tech there wouldn't be the interwebs.  We would have gotten it regardless--inevitable.  DARPA(military) created it anyway.  But guess what, I can live just fine w/o computers and the interwebs, did it for decades.  I'd rather garden and play music, and go snorkeling, actually--much easier  But, I know there are space techy Treky freaks that just need themselves some SPACE, because they evidently dont have plenty already between their ears, lol!
Velcro long predates the space program.  I spoke quite clearly of the communications technology, not the computer technology (which was DARPA, yes, you get a cookie).

And I don't think you can live without computers, you seem to have some strange need to come here and make a fool of yourself.  But please, feel free to prove me wrong about you and computers, I'm sure we'll both be happier.

As for the rest of what you said here, it's a pointless ad hominem, please try again when you have an actual point.

Quote from: etienne on March 13, 2017, 06:13:10 PM
Dream on dreamers, but you think the asteroid threat is bad here just wait til you get the F out there:

And I repeat, Starwars.  If Man doesn't check himself here real soon, he gonna wreck himself worse out there.
If you think that's what the asteroid belt looks like, you need Remedial Astronomy pretty badly.  At best Saturn's rings might look that crowded -- but probably not, since we have successfully send spacecraft through the ring plane without disaster.

Space, as Douglas Adams wrote, is big.  Really big.  You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is.  We know of about half a million in the inner solar system -- which, on average, have about half a million square kilometers open space around them in their orbital planes.  If the asteroid belt looked like your image, it would be a visible band of haze in the night sky.

And any wars in space will be over the same things wars here are about: resources.  So Man will simply wreck himself exactly the same as he's always done.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

etienne

Quote from: trdsf on March 14, 2017, 01:49:11 PM
Velcro long predates the space program.  I spoke quite clearly of the communications technology, not the computer technology (which was DARPA, yes, you get a cookie).

And I don't think you can live without computers, you seem to have some strange need to come here and make a fool of yourself.  But please, feel free to prove me wrong about you and computers, I'm sure we'll both be happier.

As for the rest of what you said here, it's a pointless ad hominem, please try again when you have an actual point.
If you think that's what the asteroid belt looks like, you need Remedial Astronomy pretty badly.  At best Saturn's rings might look that crowded -- but probably not, since we have successfully send spacecraft through the ring plane without disaster.

Space, as Douglas Adams wrote, is big.  Really big.  You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is.  We know of about half a million in the inner solar system -- which, on average, have about half a million square kilometers open space around them in their orbital planes.  If the asteroid belt looked like your image, it would be a visible band of haze in the night sky.

And any wars in space will be over the same things wars here are about: resources.  So Man will simply wreck himself exactly the same as he's always done.
Ok, cya turd muffin, or whatever your nick is, thanks for playing.

Unbeliever

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Hydra009

Quote from: etienne on March 14, 2017, 02:31:24 PMOk, cya turd muffin, or whatever your nick is, thanks for playing.

etienne

Quote from: Unbeliever on March 14, 2017, 06:03:18 PM

Hawking is a brilliant theoretical scientist and writer.  But that doesn't mean he necessarily knows much about ethics or practicality in the material world.  In fact, I think he is completely ignorant of the real material world.  What work has he ever done, in the real material world?  He's a "theorist".

I completely disagree with Hawking's take there.  Humans DONT have to go out there.  The chances of human beings surviving out there, as I have abundantly described, are BAD, very BAD.  Much easier here on earth.  But he's a scientist, so he's more or less paid to say that kind of stuff.  It's in his material interests to do so.  Otherwise, he's out of a J O B.

He'd have a real tough time rolling his wheel chair around out there on the crusty crust of Nebulon, anyway.  He should just stay in his nice, well ventilated, weather controlled office, where he has all his fun lab toys to play with.  OUCH!

Hydra009

Quote from: trdsf on March 14, 2017, 01:49:11 PMAnd any wars in space will be over the same things wars here are about: resources.  So Man will simply wreck himself exactly the same as he's always done.
Yep.  Also, despite the incredibly prescient nature of the Star Wars documentary [/sarcasm], it's not at all certain that human colonies in outer space will be particularly warlike.

For starters, they'd be heavily dependent on Earth for whatever resources they can't produce themselves.  Second, war is on the decline, particularly between great powers.  That could change, but the smart money is the process continues for the foreseeable future.  And finally, there are international treaties in place to not militarize space.  Sure they could disregard the treaties and arm themselves, but they'd face harsh criticism, political pressure, and possibly also economic pressure to return to peaceable norms.

Unbeliever

Well, It won't matter to me, one way or the other - I'll be out of here long before we could begin to try to colonize anything out there. It's just something interesting to think about, like the idea that the universe only has one electron, bouncing back and forth through time...or that dark matter exists in a parallel universe and only it's gravity can be felt in our universe. Just something fun to think about.
God Not Found

etienne

Quote from: Unbeliever on March 14, 2017, 06:55:42 PM
Well, It won't matter to me, one way or the other - I'll be out of here long before we could begin to try to colonize anything out there. It's just something interesting to think about, like the idea that the universe only has one electron, bouncing back and forth through time...or that dark matter exists in a parallel universe and only it's gravity can be felt in our universe. Just something fun to think about.
I dont even think they will be able to build those super duper robotic futuristic cities you see constantly in the movies, quite frankly. Yeah, Dubai and Kuwait have a shit ton of oil $ right now to be the current state of the art, but thats not going to last forever.  Something's gotta give.  The earth only has limited resources and capitalism assumes unlimited resources.  Nature will force the issue at some point as to resources--and climate. So what, 6-7 billion people are just going to pack up and leave for Mars?  Thats not going to happen.

Unbeliever

Nah, not Mars. That's an example of planetary chauvinism, but we don't really have to have planets if we can build our own habitats. I know, that's a very big "if."
God Not Found

etienne

Quote from: Unbeliever on March 14, 2017, 07:21:20 PM
Nah, not Mars. That's an example of planetary chauvinism, but we don't really have to have planets if we can build our own habitats. I know, that's a very big "if."
Sure, and while we're at it, I'll just hook up with Natalie Portman, because even though she has never met me nor will ever meet me, I KNOW she loves me!

Baruch

Quote from: etienne on March 14, 2017, 12:50:14 PM
Thats the fucking TRUTH right there!

If Shakespeare hadn't killed Yorick, before the play, Hamlet, had even begun, Yorick would have stolen all of Hamlet's best lines ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.