News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Is there religion out there?

Started by fencerider, February 24, 2017, 01:09:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trdsf

Quote from: Blackleaf on February 25, 2017, 08:41:50 PM
I swear, every Greek story that comes to mind involves someone being majorly screwed over by the gods.
Oh, I know.  Most of my preference for that religion is purely physical and hormonal.  I mean, c'mon, I'd do Apollo in a heartbeat.  :D
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Baruch

Quote from: trdsf on February 26, 2017, 06:07:19 PM
Oh, I know.  Most of my preference for that religion is purely physical and hormonal.  I mean, c'mon, I'd do Apollo in a heartbeat.  :D

Not good ... jealous Dionysius will have his Maenad followers rip you to shreds ;-(  But Apollo could probably play a mean game of chess ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Ro3bert

I was going to add my 2¢ here but the thing has gotten so out of hand I think I'll pass and go away.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Ro3bert on February 28, 2017, 06:50:51 PM
I was going to add my 2¢ here but the thing has gotten so out of hand I think I'll pass and go away.
Yeah, inflation brought it up to a nickel!
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Cavebear

When any argument is based on religion, it has to be in error.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

etienne

etienne here, I'm new to the Forum.  Feel free to check out my intro salvo:  http://atheistforums.com/index.php?topic=11404.msg1170059#new

First, I don't think there is any advanced intelligent life "out there".  And I don't want there to be either, from what I've seen on movies--they wouldn't like us.  As far as I can tell, from what cosmologists say, it's just a bunch of fire and rocks out there, moving at high speed, so basically you don't want to be out there.  No O2 either which is a real drag.  Think of your struggles on Earth, then pretend you were on, say, Mars.  WAY harder.  This planet is somewhat a "walk in the park" by comparison.  But make no mistake, Nature doesn't care about you or I and She will bring you down in a NY minute and not think twice about it.

Back to the topic at hand.  Obviously nobody would want there to be religion out there given the mess it's made of humanity on planet Earth.  No, who wants "confused, vindictive ET"?  It would only make her/his wrath against us even worse with HIS "gawd" backing him up.  No, believe me, we don't want that.  Besides, if ET exists and has a "Gawd" then that "Gawd" would, by definition, have to cover jurisdiction on Earth on Her/His Universal "rounds" and there're Himalayan mountains of circumstantial evidence to suggest that that ain't happening.

I don't want the Earth Gawd and I dont want ET's Gawd either--unless She/He is going to play nice and give us more "free stuff".   :biggrin2:
The Revolution does not fall like an apple when it is ripe:  you have to MAKE it fall...

Baruch

ET's god is OK, if it provides free Reese's Pieces ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

etienne

Quote from: Baruch on March 10, 2017, 06:40:53 AM
ET's god is OK, if it provides free Reese's Pieces ;-)
Pieces of what?  lol!
The Revolution does not fall like an apple when it is ripe:  you have to MAKE it fall...

Mike Cl

Quote from: etienne on March 10, 2017, 07:49:52 AM
Pieces of what?  lol!
Candy.  If this is a true story, the makers of ET wanted ET to eat M&M's in the movie, but the company refused.  If that is so, then that was a huge business mistake.  I think Reeses took a big bump when the movie came out.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

etienne

Quote from: Mike Cl on March 10, 2017, 08:55:06 AM
Candy.  If this is a true story, the makers of ET wanted ET to eat M&M's in the movie, but the company refused.  If that is so, then that was a huge business mistake.  I think Reeses took a big bump when the movie came out.

I didnt see the movie.  So ET actually ate Reeses' Pcs in the movie?  Hey, have a Coca Cola and a Marlboro smoke while you're at it!

Mike Cl

Quote from: etienne on March 10, 2017, 10:29:43 AM
I didnt see the movie.  So ET actually ate Reeses' Pcs in the movie?  Hey, have a Coca Cola and a Marlboro smoke while you're at it!
Ya gotta see it.  Drew Barrymore was really cute in it.  As he was in Firestater (book was better, tho).
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

etienne

Quote from: Mike Cl on March 10, 2017, 11:42:05 AM
Ya gotta see it.  Drew Barrymore was really cute in it.  As he was in Firestater (book was better, tho).

I never saw "Jurassic Park" until just recently on HBO when I had some time to kill.  And the time was sufficiently killed, brutally.  I hated it, worst movie that Spielburg ever produced--wow, so bad.  I dont go in for most Hollywood flix(propaganda) these days, even the latest "Jason Bourne" was kind of lame, a reiteration.  I think they are done with Bourne movies now.  I loved the 1st 4.  But I will watch a well done drama of some pertinent history or something or a very well done spy thriller or sci-fi, of which there are fewer and fewer that have some originality.  There are only so many options in story telling.  ET is not on my radar, but  thanks!  :)

Oh, of course I like a good comedy.  Also on HBO I saw "Balls of Fury" which was hilarious and very well done:  Chris Walkens has a hilarious role in it.   "Mr. Right" was fab too and there's this flick "Gentleman Broncos" that's out-there crazy if you haven't seen it.

Mike Cl

Quote from: etienne on March 10, 2017, 12:39:30 PM
I never saw "Jurassic Park" until just recently on HBO when I had some time to kill.  And the time was sufficiently killed, brutally.  I hated it, worst movie that Spielburg ever produced--wow, so bad.  I dont go in for most Hollywood flix(propaganda) these days, even the latest "Jason Bourne" was kind of lame, a reiteration.  I think they are done with Bourne movies now.  I loved the 1st 4.  But I will watch a well done drama of some pertinent history or something or a very well done spy thriller or sci-fi, of which there are fewer and fewer that have some originality.  There are only so many options in story telling.  ET is not on my radar, but  thanks!  :)

Oh, of course I like a good comedy.  Also on HBO I saw "Balls of Fury" which was hilarious and very well done:  Chris Walkens has a hilarious role in it.   "Mr. Right" was fab too and there's this flick "Gentleman Broncos" that's out-there crazy if you haven't seen it.
Not much of movie goer either.  See maybe two a year in the theater--and that is because my wife wants company.  ET was long ago and one I remember seeing--and enjoying.

Unbeliever

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

etienne

Quote from: Mike Cl on March 10, 2017, 03:37:30 PM
Not much of movie goer either.  See maybe two a year in the theater--and that is because my wife wants company.  ET was long ago and one I remember seeing--and enjoying.
I generally prefer live theater over movies, anyway.  Entertainment, music, across the board has gotten so ridiculously overproduced it can be disgusting, especially the amount of $ they blow on the stuff.  I call it "over-produced garbage".