Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Is there religion out there?

Started by fencerider, February 24, 2017, 01:09:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

etienne

Quote from: Baruch on March 12, 2017, 07:26:56 PM
Only if the whiners are kosher ;-)
Atheist website, I assumed atheist whiners.  And I haven't been disappointed, lol!
The Revolution does not fall like an apple when it is ripe:  you have to MAKE it fall...

Solomon Zorn

Quote from: Unbeliever on March 11, 2017, 06:28:27 PM
Yeah, just don't forget the damned words! [Like Bruce Campbell did, in Army of Darkness]
Yeah, I think he actually got them wrong, even when he got them right. I'm pretty sure Klaatu said, "Barada," and Ax said, "Varada".

Army of Darkness is a classic.
If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

trdsf

Quote from: etienne on March 11, 2017, 01:42:53 AM
Yooge waste of $ and resources anyway.  End starvation on earth 1st, then go out there, if you have to, but dont expect us to give you cab fare home when you get lost.
If we remain a one-planet species, we are ultimately doomed.  Not might be, are.  Even if we dodge a killer asteroid at some point in the future, either through luck or (hah!) foresight, even if we sort out our priorities with regard to the health of our planetary ecosphere, there is still a hard limit to how long we can stay here.  Unless you want to posit rejuvenating the sun, but I think that unlikely.

I don't buy the "let's fix things here first" argument.  In the first place, had we done that in the 1960s and 1970s, you would not be on this website arguing against exploration because NASA is where those fundamental communication technologies that allow the Internet to work were developed.  You would not have your cell phone, certainly not in slim pocket form.

Exploration breeds results.  And just because we can't predict what those results are going to be ahead of time is no reason to not explore.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

etienne

Quote from: trdsf on March 13, 2017, 03:34:40 PM
If we remain a one-planet species, we are ultimately doomed.  Not might be, are.  Even if we dodge a killer asteroid at some point in the future, either through luck or (hah!) foresight, even if we sort out our priorities with regard to the health of our planetary ecosphere, there is still a hard limit to how long we can stay here.  Unless you want to posit rejuvenating the sun, but I think that unlikely.

I don't buy the "let's fix things here first" argument.  In the first place, had we done that in the 1960s and 1970s, you would not be on this website arguing against exploration because NASA is where those fundamental communication technologies that allow the Internet to work were developed.  You would not have your cell phone, certainly not in slim pocket form.

Exploration breeds results.  And just because we can't predict what those results are going to be ahead of time is no reason to not explore.
I can live w/o velcro, lol!  I don't think there is any substantial case that w/o space tech there wouldn't be the interwebs.  We would have gotten it regardless--inevitable.  DARPA(military) created it anyway.  But guess what, I can live just fine w/o computers and the interwebs, did it for decades.  I'd rather garden and play music, and go snorkeling, actually--much easier  But, I know there are space techy Treky freaks that just need themselves some SPACE, because they evidently dont have plenty already between their ears, lol!

Dream on dreamers, but you think the asteroid threat is bad here just wait til you get the F out there:

And I repeat, Starwars.  If Man doesn't check himself here real soon, he gonna wreck himself worse out there.

The Revolution does not fall like an apple when it is ripe:  you have to MAKE it fall...

Baruch

Quote from: trdsf on March 13, 2017, 03:34:40 PM

Tang.  DoD paid for it, not NASA.  DoD is pushing for the autonomous vehicles, thru DARPA, not Ford.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

fencerider

explore the public privey?

dont think we need to explore the outer space yet. Ha. we got a whole nudder dimention insida Trump's head. Could take a while to explore that space. Besides you get to messin around in space yu'll be messin with the peace and quiet of my vacation home;-)

They are avoiding space for some reason. first they said about mars that we donr know if its possible for people to live there. Then they did biosphere 1 was suppsed to answer all their questions about a trip to Mars. Then they came out 20 years later with biosphere 2 and said they were getting answers to the same questions. Then just a couple years ago another research project to answer the same questions. Kinda like every election republicans in Congress talk about abortion et.al. but they never do anything cause if they did there wouldnt be anything to campaign about next time...
"Do you believe in god?", is not a proper English sentence. Unless you believe that, "Do you believe in apple?", is a proper English sentence.

etienne

Quote from: fencerider on March 14, 2017, 12:26:13 AM

dont think we need to explore the outer space yet. Ha. we got a whole nudder dimention insida Trump's head. Could take a while to explore that space. Besides you get to messin around in space yu'll be messin with the peace and quiet of my vacation home;-)

They are avoiding space for some reason. first they said about mars that we donr know if its possible for people to live there. Then they did biosphere 1 was suppsed to answer all their questions about a trip to Mars. Then they came out 20 years later with biosphere 2 and said they were getting answers to the same questions. Then just a couple years ago another research project to answer the same questions. Kinda like every election republicans in Congress talk about abortion et.al. but they never do anything cause if they did there wouldnt be anything to campaign about next time...
"Avoiding"?  They already are fighting battles over "asteroid rights" in proximity to the Earth. 

http://www.planetaryresources.com/#home-intro

But I think they are full of poo if they think they are going to do much colonizing of other planets anytime soon, or ever.  The Ape in Thief may blow us all to Kingdom Come with his unopposable paw long before that.

Baruch

Quote from: fencerider on March 14, 2017, 12:26:13 AM

I visited Oracle AZ, between Biosphere I and II ... a scam, by Texas billionaires.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

etienne

Quote from: Baruch on March 14, 2017, 01:25:17 AM
I visited Oracle AZ, between Biosphere I and II ... a scam, by Texas billionaires.
Like they say, "those that live in glass houses shouldn't cast stones", did I get that right?  Good luck building that glass crap on 200 mph rock-storm Mars.

Cavebear

Quote from: etienne on March 14, 2017, 01:33:51 AM
Like they say, "those that live in glass houses shouldn't cast stones", did I get that right?  Good luck building that glass crap on 200 mph rock-storm Mars.

Caves and skylights...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: etienne on March 14, 2017, 01:33:51 AM

That happened before Elon Musk was able to get the taxpayer to subsidize his mad schemes, like electric cars.  He still loses money on each and every sale.  At least Texas oilmen were actually selling something at a profit.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

etienne

Quote from: Baruch on March 14, 2017, 06:36:01 AM
That happened before Elon Musk was able to get the taxpayer to subsidize his mad schemes, like electric cars.  He still loses money on each and every sale.  At least Texas oilmen were actually selling something at a profit.
Black gold.

Cavebear

Quote from: etienne on March 14, 2017, 07:35:32 AM
Black gold.

Oh good, Baruch and etienne are arguing.  Maybe this will keep them both busy and not bothering the rest of us.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

FinalSomnia

Quote from: Cavebear on March 14, 2017, 07:37:39 AM
Oh good, Baruch and etienne are arguing.  Maybe this will keep them both busy and not bothering the rest of us.
I'm not saying it's the unstoppable farce meets the immovable bore, but...
Heaven is no more than a carrot on a string at the end of a tunnel; Hell is no more than a gunbarrel at the back of your head.  When we are good people for the sake of being good people, we\'ll have no further use for religion.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on March 14, 2017, 07:37:39 AM

Etienne and I both agree that bears shit in the woods ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.