News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Is there religion out there?

Started by fencerider, February 24, 2017, 01:09:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blackleaf

Quote from: etienne on March 11, 2017, 09:40:28 AM
I don't "get" the whole vid game thing.  I never even liked PacMan.  "Gentleman Broncos" is "out there" hilarious.  Sam Rockwell.  11 for sure.  That's all I'll say.

At this point, it might be easier to list what things you do like and take it from there.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

etienne

Quote from: Blackleaf on March 11, 2017, 09:58:15 AM
At this point, it might be easier to list what things you do like and take it from there.
I may do that, and I may just keep dissing idiotic, adolescent vid game playing.  Thanks.
The Revolution does not fall like an apple when it is ripe:  you have to MAKE it fall...

fencerider

I suppose we might be saving the rest of the galaxy some trouble if we decide to just stay here for a while.... probably best that we stay here at least until we GROW UP.

Eventually technology will improve to the point that going out there won't be a massive undertaking just to get off the planet.
"Do you believe in god?", is not a proper English sentence. Unless you believe that, "Do you believe in apple?", is a proper English sentence.

Unbeliever

Quote from: etienne on March 10, 2017, 05:15:55 PM
I kind of wish humans would "get over" the whole outer space thing, except for enjoying the pretty pictures Hubble Telescope, etc, provides.  Benign satellites are a nice thing too.  But living out there?  Forget about it.  You DON'T want to live out there.  It's a bunch of fire and rocks moving at high speeds and there is this one small problem called, "no air"!  If you are on Mars and there's a storm, it is a ROCK STORM, with 200 mph winds!  Just ask Matt Damon.  The thought of spending billions to "seed space"with human colonies is just plain absurd.  But, unfortunately, the 'good' little capitalists are already having "asteroid wars" over "rights" to asteroid mining in our solar system.  Destroy the Earth, then go destroy outer space.  Capitalism, like religion, poisons everything.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asteroid_mining

We already live in outer space - we're riding a spaceship through the cosmos. It's not artificial, but we could actually build those, too. There's plenty of material in the solar system to make our own artificial planets.

I admit, it wouldn't be easy, but it's possible, if we wanted or needed to badly enough:
The High Frontier: Human Colonies in Space
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Unbeliever

Quote from: trdsf on March 10, 2017, 11:52:52 PM
I'll watch 1941 before I ever watch ET again.

1941 - a movie that will live in infamy...

One of my favorite comedies! A laugh a minute! Slim Pickens was hilarious. The guys in the ferris wheel - classic.
God Not Found

Solomon Zorn

Quote from: fencerider
I suppose we might be saving the rest of the galaxy some trouble if we decide to just stay here for a while.... probably best that we stay here at least until we GROW UP.
If Gort tries to take us out, just remember, "Klaatu Barada Nikto."

Quote from: fenceriderEventually technology will improve to the point that going out there won't be a massive undertaking just to get off the planet.
Why even waste our time, when we could simply...reach. Robots in space. We already have a well developed start, to what might be the ultimate economic symbiosis, of mankind and our machines: exploitation of extraterrestrial resources, with limited direct interaction from vulnerable humans.

Vast spacecraft, built to harvest asteroids, utilizing a crew of specialized machines, and similar set-ups, anywhere we can find something worth the trouble. No need for humans to risk their lives, when our tools can reach far beyond our fragile fleshy grasp. 
If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

Unbeliever

Quote from: Solomon Zorn on March 11, 2017, 06:11:41 PM
If Gort tries to take us out, just remember, "Klaatu Barada Nikto."

Yeah, just don't forget the damned words!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgvXtexdgAM
God Not Found

etienne

Quote from: Unbeliever on March 11, 2017, 05:26:20 PM

We already live in outer space - we're riding a spaceship through the cosmos. It's not artificial, but we could actually build those, too. There's plenty of material in the solar system to make our own artificial planets.

I admit, it wouldn't be easy, but it's possible, if we wanted or needed to badly enough:
The High Frontier: Human Colonies in Space
First of all, YOU won't build anything, they have these things called wage "workers" that do that.  Second, go for it, and good luck.  You DO realize that it costs them a few billion dollars and a giant lab to extract a 1/2 cup of H2O from moon rocks, right?  But np problem, air, water, not an issue....
The Revolution does not fall like an apple when it is ripe:  you have to MAKE it fall...

Baruch

Quote from: etienne on March 11, 2017, 08:20:31 PM
First of all, YOU won't build anything, they have these things called wage "workers" that do that.  Second, go for it, and good luck.  You DO realize that it costs them a few billion dollars and a giant lab to extract a 1/2 cup of H2O from moon rocks, right?  But np problem, air, water, not an issue....

With free fiat currency, paid for by the poverty of other nations, expenses are no problem ...
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

etienne

Quote from: Baruch on March 11, 2017, 11:24:08 PM
With free fiat currency, paid for by the poverty of other nations, expenses are no problem ...
Yeah, it's like that, public-->private, and imperialism.

Baruch

Quote from: etienne on March 12, 2017, 03:21:39 PM
Yeah, it's like that, public-->private, and imperialism.

Humans are predatory.  Sorry you are meat on the table?  So ... you are the other White meat, or Dark?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

etienne

Quote from: Baruch on March 12, 2017, 03:55:23 PM

Humans are predatory.  Sorry you are meat on the table?  So ... you are the other White meat, or Dark?
We are if we are hungry.

Baruch

Quote from: etienne on March 12, 2017, 04:17:55 PM
We are if we are hungry.

We are always hungry, we just have creative ways to eat each other.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

etienne

Quote from: Baruch on March 12, 2017, 04:59:49 PM
We are always hungry, we just have creative ways to eat each other.
If you are hungry, I recommend this over cannibalism:

Baruch

Quote from: etienne on March 12, 2017, 05:10:39 PM
If you are hungry, I recommend this over cannibalism:

Only if the whiners are kosher ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.