What's the most delusional non-religous thing you've ever heard.

Started by shadowsfall, February 23, 2017, 10:58:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shadowsfall

This might be a funny thread with funny stories.

Here's something I heard at a barbecue a while back.

"Cigarette's do not cause no cancer. They ain't even bad for your health. My dad died of lung cancer, and he smoked for forty years. He never had a single problem when he smoked squares. However, once he started putting sugar in his coffee, he instantly got cancer. Don't ever consume yo self no sugar. It'll give you cancer."

After I heard that (and wanted to bang my head against a wall) there were like four people agreeing with him.

Add on.
SHUT THE FUCK UP DONNIE!

Baruch

Ordinary people completely mis-estimate risk, particularly involving things they like.  Or not ... the odds of you being killed by a Muslim terrorist, in the US, is very low.  Like being struck by lightning, twice.

For me, practically any political speech by folks, I take as a burlesque.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Munch

"I'm a liberal, all white men need to be exterminated"

perhaps not words to that exact, but its the out and out feelings of so many alt left sjws and their virtue signalling, when they are white themselves.

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Baruch

Quote from: Munch on February 24, 2017, 07:21:42 AM
"I'm a liberal, all white men need to be exterminated"

perhaps not words to that exact, but its the out and out feelings of so many alt left sjws and their virtue signalling, when they are white themselves.

Apparently, SJWs, like Vampires, don't allow mirrors in their homes.  They are non-self-reflective.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

trdsf

Oh, hell.  Pick a conspiracy theory, they're all pretty bugfuck.  And I'll exclude pronouncements by Asshole, like that he won the popular vote if you "take out the three million illegal voters", or that his inaugural was TEH BEST ATTENDED EVAR WITH BIGLY NUMBERS OF PEOPLE.

But I have a special level of contempt for UFO enthusiasts -- although it damn near is a religion with some of them.

Let's start with the term UFO.  What does the U stand for?  Unidentified.  What's an alien spaceship?  An identified flying object.  If you're going to point at a light in the sky and tell me it's a UFO, don't then immediately try to tell me what it is if your first guess isn't "meteor", "jet" or "satellite".

Speaking of lights in the sky, d'you know how many things cause lights in the sky to appear?  That don't require resorting to aliens to explain?  The director of the observatory north of town has often remarked on the number of calls he gets about "alien spaceships" after an ISS overflight or an especially bright Iridium flare.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Unbeliever

Quote from: trdsf on February 24, 2017, 12:52:13 PM
Oh, hell.  Pick a conspiracy theory, they're all pretty bugfuck.  And I'll exclude pronouncements by Asshole, like that he won the popular vote if you "take out the three million illegal voters", or that his inaugural was TEH BEST ATTENDED EVAR WITH BIGLY NUMBERS OF PEOPLE.

Yeah, all that stuff pretty much goes without saying, huh?

QuoteBut I have a special level of contempt for UFO enthusiasts -- although it damn near is a religion with some of them.

I remember Heaven's Gate. I still find it hard to believe anyone really takes anything at all that seriously, much less such absurdities as those for which they killed themselves.

QuoteLet's start with the term UFO.  What does the U stand for?  Unidentified.  What's an alien spaceship?  An identified flying object.  If you're going to point at a light in the sky and tell me it's a UFO, don't then immediately try to tell me what it is if your first guess isn't "meteor", "jet" or "satellite".

Hah! Or the planet Venus! Or swamp gas! Or a balloon with a light inside! Hahahaha!

QuoteSpeaking of lights in the sky, d'you know how many things cause lights in the sky to appear?  That don't require resorting to aliens to explain?  The director of the observatory north of town has often remarked on the number of calls he gets about "alien spaceships" after an ISS overflight or an especially bright Iridium flare.

But people have such boring lives in the mundane world that they must have something with which to entertain themselves. If it wasn't UFOs it'd be ghosts or religion or some other silliness. I don't see why the wonders of science aren't enough to keep them occupied with awe, but they seem to need more. But at least alien visitation of Earth is physically possible (though most assuredly difficult) and not logically inconsistent. And UFO believers generally don't hurt anyone, that I know of.

As far as the question in the OP is concerned, I've always thought the Running of the Bulls in Pamplona, Spain was pretty bug-fuck stupid. Everyone who participates in that deserves their own special Darwin award!
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Munch

Hello, this is the vigilant christian Mario.

Well what his spouts is often religious, he talks about other stuff as well, that is just as insane, delusional, and laughable.

Hydra009

Quote from: Munch on February 24, 2017, 09:13:22 PM
Hello, this is the vigilant christian Mario.

Well what his spouts is often religious, he talks about other stuff as well, that is just as insane, delusional, and laughable.
Yeah, but afaik, his shtick consists entirely of taking something popular and then finding some way to tie it to satanism or the illuminati.  To this nutbar, everything is tied in some way to God VS Satan.

At least Gail Chord Schuler mixes it up a little bit with nukkake and space battles with sentient tacos.

Atheon

Pretty much anything coming out of the mouths of Republicans these days.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Hydra009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oq2-zbb98k

This guy.  But I suspect he's just acting.  So, his fanboys are the real delusional idiots here.  I worked closely with a guy who believed every word.  It's like being around a vegan if you substitute the word meat with NWO.

aitm

Footballs can't lose air pressure just cause its cold...you have to let some air out..any damn idiot knows that.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Baruch

Hydra .. yes, vegans ... scary ;-(  Hitler was a vegetarian.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Munch