News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Old Farts and Technology: The GPS

Started by SGOS, February 23, 2017, 06:35:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cavebear on March 14, 2017, 10:03:18 AM
LOL!  I'm one of those people who know what direction I am going even in the subway.  No moss on trees, maybe magnetite in my head?
Et tu? When I was wandering around the jungle people used to say "Go with him, he comes back."
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

Quote from: etienne on March 14, 2017, 10:04:25 AM
Some people can't even drive anymore w/o that fing GPS on yappin at them every 3 seconds.  Maybe they are lonely, so I try and come up with some jokes.  They make me very nervous as they are usually nervous.  I usually make them shut it off as per safety concerns and while we are sitting in the cow pasture that they didn't happen to notice nor rebel against that which the GPS sent us to.
I drive with the sound off over half the time.  At first, I thought the woman's voice was cool, but she's a poor conversationalist.  She just keeps repeating the same phrases over and over, and now she drives me nuts.  When I actually need her assistance, I turn the sound on.

etienne

Quote from: SGOS on March 14, 2017, 07:04:03 PM
I drive with the sound off over half the time.  At first, I thought the woman's voice was cool, but she's a poor conversationalist.  She just keeps repeating the same phrases over and over, and now she drives me nuts.  When I actually need her assistance, I turn the sound on.
And that dovetails into, what do they call "her", Siri?  Or, "Contana"?  Haha.  And then you have "Echo" because apparently its too difficult for people to TYPE "Google", or, heaven forbid, look in a book.  And now this little pink robot called "Pepper" who can "wow" you by playing "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" on a plastic violin.  Are people this lonely?  I think so, yes. 

I think its all stupid, but I have real things I love to do.
The Revolution does not fall like an apple when it is ripe:  you have to MAKE it fall...

Baruch

A lot of people here have robot envy ... and AI jealousy.  Wonder why?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.