News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Gold Hoarders

Started by Sorginak, February 23, 2017, 02:19:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sorginak

They are worse than gold diggers.

What does hoarding money accomplish when you can survive in comfort without it while numerous people in the world are suffering due to your greed?

It is not as though you can take the money with you after you die and it is not as though your children will suffer without it either. 

Baruch

Smart people horde lead, particularly the kind that attach to brass casings.  The mob can demand free lunches, but they will eat lead.

The purpose of speculation, investment and insurance seem beyond you, but I am willing to teach.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Sorginak on February 23, 2017, 02:19:54 AM
They are worse than gold diggers.

What does hoarding money accomplish when you can survive in comfort without it while numerous people in the world are suffering due to your greed?

It is not as though you can take the money with you after you die and it is not as though your children will suffer without it either.

Do you deny the possibility that one can have accumulated money without harming the environment in any way?  Keep in mind that strange situations do exist.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

SGOS

I don't feel like I have enough money to hoard much of anything.  As far as gold, I would stay away from it.  It gets glorious coverage when it skyrockets to new highs and people wish they would have bought more gold.  But it doesn't get much coverage when it plummets and wipes people out.  It gets even less coverage when it sits for 20 years not doing much of anything.  At those times, your money would be better off in common stocks.

So why not just sell the stocks before gold takes off an soars to new heights?  Sounds simple.  The problem is that it's not simple.  Holy shit!  Gold just doubled in 4 months.  Better buy some gold, only have it drop back down to it's 20 year humdrum, and now you've lost half your capital.  Gold is volatile, which makes it glamorous.  But the volatility also makes it risky.  Maybe the hoarders have it right.  You own gold so that you can look at it, and say, "I love my gold.  Look at all that gold!"  As an investment, in spite of all the glamor, there's safer things to do with your money.

I've heard gurus refer to gold as a "hedge," but I don't like hedging, nor do I have enough to hedge against whatever needs hedging.  I don't see the point.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on February 23, 2017, 08:45:48 AM
Do you deny the possibility that one can have accumulated money without harming the environment in any way?  Keep in mind that strange situations do exist.

Gold and platinum are very inert.  And colloidal silver is medicine, it is antiseptic.  So probably don't put it down your toilet if you have a septic tank ;-(
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on February 23, 2017, 02:09:19 PM
Gold and platinum are very inert.  And colloidal silver is medicine, it is antiseptic.  So probably don't put it down your toilet if you have a septic tank ;-(

Wow, you have bars of gold?

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on February 26, 2017, 01:32:03 PM
Wow, you have bars of gold?

Didn't say how big.  I am getting it put in my mouth for crowns ... if you reach for it, I bite you ;-)

But no, you are a mature bear, you probably put all your money in berry good futures ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on February 26, 2017, 08:40:50 PM
Didn't say how big.  I am getting it put in my mouth for crowns ... if you reach for it, I bite you ;-)

But no, you are a mature bear, you probably put all your money in berry good futures ;-)

I have let all my berries mature...

Unbeliever

If there's a finite amount of money in the world, then the more that's hoarded by the wealthy, the less there will be for the rest of us. If the rich just keep getting richer and richer, and the poor just keep getting poorer and poorer, there must be a limit beyond which there's no getting either poorer or richer. What happens then?
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Munch

Quote from: Unbeliever on March 02, 2017, 05:02:32 PM
If there's a finite amount of money in the world, then the more that's hoarded by the wealthy, the less there will be for the rest of us. If the rich just keep getting richer and richer, and the poor just keep getting poorer and poorer, there must be a limit beyond which there's no getting either poorer or richer. What happens then?

Well theres a finite to all resources, wood, ore, metal, stone, oil, gas, meat, even things like bees. Simply, more people in the world, resources wiped out, more people starve and die, the 1% stays pretty, and nothing else but the desolation of societies over the generations by war and famine.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Unbeliever

Glad I won't be around for all that...
God Not Found

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on March 02, 2017, 05:02:32 PM

Good riddance to both the awful rich and the more numerous but also awful poor.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on March 02, 2017, 05:31:12 PM
Glad I won't be around for all that...

May happen this year.  Have terminal cancer?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

I wouldn't know if I did have cancer. Haven't seen a doctor in more than 15 years. Don't especially care.
God Not Found

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on March 03, 2017, 06:32:07 PM
I wouldn't know if I did have cancer. Haven't seen a doctor in more than 15 years. Don't especially care.

If Mad McCain has his way, we will all be dead by the end of this year.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.