Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Sylar

I'm unconvinced.

Election of one shitty president isn't reason enough to secede, and US economic retaliation against Independent California Republic could force our industry leaders to migrate and cripple our economy. 45.8% of California land is owned by federal government.

Not to mention the high unlikelihood of a constitutional amendment being approved by two-thirds of House and Senate, and accepted by 38 out of 50 states, making this whole endeavor a huge con, and a waste of money and time.
"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all." --Oscar Wilde

fencerider

There is nothing in the Constitution about a state leaving the U.S., nor is there anything in the Constitution preventing a state from leaving the U.S.. This leaves it up to Congress to create a definition of the procedure. No Constitutional ammendment necessary. (yes I actually read it on a regular basis)

I was under the impression that leaving the U.S. followed the same procedure as a state wanting to join the U.S. - a presentation of arguments to Congress and then a vote by Congress.

An ammendment to the California Constitution??? Who cares? no really, who cares? We have proposals to ammend the California Constitution on every ballot... and just as many pass as those that fail
"Do you believe in god?", is not a proper English sentence. Unless you believe that, "Do you believe in apple?", is a proper English sentence.

Sorginak

Baruch

Quote from: Sorginak on February 23, 2017, 02:10:40 AM
Texas tried it.

They won't get far ... between Oklahoma and Mexico is like being between a rock and a hard place ;-)  So hard to take a state, cut if off from the map, and motor it off into the Gulf.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

I don't know about succession, but I think California should be divided into two states, North and South.  There is nothing about Northern California that is anything like Southern California.  The people are different, the geography is different, and the climate is different.  When they made California, Congress got lazy and decided to make it one state, because it was easier.

There is a problem with San Francisco.  Would that be North or South?  Some people there might have a civil war over it, with families divided.  That would not be a good thing.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on February 23, 2017, 06:46:07 AM
I don't know about succession, but I think California should be divided into two states, North and South.  There is nothing about Northern California that is anything like Southern California.  The people are different, the geography is different, and the climate is different.  When they made California, Congress got lazy and decided to make it one state, because it was easier.

There is a problem with San Francisco.  Would that be North or South?  Some people there might have a civil war over it, with families divided.  That would not be a good thing.

Most people put the E-W dividing line at Bakersfield.  Ever been to Bakersfield?  So San Fran would be part of the NC ... North California ... because they don't want to go to thru customs to get to the vineyards.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

I still think California's best influence would be to divide into several States.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on February 23, 2017, 07:37:44 AM
I still think California's best influence would be to divide into several States.

Yes, divide all D states, so that the D party can finally get a majority in the Galactic Senate ;-))
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Jason Harvestdancer

Quote from: Baruch on February 23, 2017, 12:40:38 PM
Yes, divide all D states, so that the D party can finally get a majority in the Galactic Senate ;-))

The Six California measure floated a while ago would not result in six D states, but in a mix of D and R.

Calexit

There are pros and cons to a Calexit.  The biggest result is a potential for further secession of other blue states without California to act as an anchor for them.  New England and the Pacific NorthWest would be likely to go as well.
White privilege is being a lifelong racist, then being sent to the White House twice because your running mate is a minority.<br /><br />No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA!

Baruch

If we break up into individual counties, we can be city states, like ancient Greece.  Souvlaki!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

fencerider

just like Israel and Palestine two state solution fighting over Jerusalem....we can have a N Ca and a S Ca and fight over San Fransisco

maybe better a NW SE divide south of Angeles Forest east to the border include everything from the 5fwy west up to Santa Rosa. Everything north of Angeles forest and east of the 99fwy after you get to Sacremento draw the line west to Santa Rosa
"Do you believe in god?", is not a proper English sentence. Unless you believe that, "Do you believe in apple?", is a proper English sentence.

Cavebear

Quote from: Jason Harvestdancer on February 24, 2017, 07:24:58 AM
The Six California measure floated a while ago would not result in six D states, but in a mix of D and R.

Calexit

There are pros and cons to a Calexit.  The biggest result is a potential for further secession of other blue states without California to act as an anchor for them.  New England and the Pacific NorthWest would be likely to go as well.

That is a very sensible idea.  And may I add that the District Of Columbia just be remanded into Maryland (like the Virginia part was) and end all that fuss about it's "statehood"?

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on February 26, 2017, 04:40:27 AM
That is a very sensible idea.  And may I add that the District Of Columbia just be remanded into Maryland (like the Virginia part was) and end all that fuss about it's "statehood"?

The US used to despise South Africa under White rule.  Now they want bantustans based on political affiliation.  I am so glad I am not young, and won't live much longer.  Oi!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on February 26, 2017, 09:01:34 AM
The US used to despise South Africa under White rule.  Now they want bantustans based on political affiliation.  I am so glad I am not young, and won't live much longer.  Oi!

It was Bantu land before colonialism.  Why shouldn't it be their's again? I don't care abount their political affiliation.

And I have to say one thing to ALL of you - You have improved my typing!  Not 100% but maybe 50%.