News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Thought experiment.

Started by abegeman, June 09, 2013, 03:11:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

abegeman

Hi All,

I just signed up to this forum specifically to ask this question, apologies if this is the wrong section of the forum.

I was pondering a very very basic question recently and wanted to know if there were any plausible thought experiments or ideas on how 'something can come from nothing'. Wondering if anyone has any wiki links they could share with me?

I know this question is bound to attract many religious answers, so I would really appreciate it very much if any answers could perhaps negate religious views as i am already very well aware of this particular side of thinking.

Many Thanks

AllPurposeAtheist

All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Plu

Your best guess is probably Lawrence Krauss. Other people will probably have other suggestions (or will disagree with mine xD)

Here's a talk. I'm not sure how good it is, as I haven't watched all of it, but from what I know most of his stuff is quite good.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZiXC8Yh4T0

_Xenu_

Quote from: "abegeman"Hi All,

I just signed up to this forum specifically to ask this question, apologies if this is the wrong section of the forum.

I was pondering a very very basic question recently and wanted to know if there were any plausible thought experiments or ideas on how 'something can come from nothing'. Wondering if anyone has any wiki links they could share with me?

I know this question is bound to attract many religious answers, so I would really appreciate it very much if any answers could perhaps negate religious views as i am already very well aware of this particular side of thinking.

Many Thanks
I think you're comfronting the fundamental paradox of the universe. It will be millions of years before humans understand this, if ever.
Click this link once a day to feed shelter animals. Its free.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/ars/home

AllPurposeAtheist

Fine! Dismiss abra cadabra.. See where that gets ya..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Solitary

I love thought experiments! In my opinion something cannot come from nothing---so how can the universe be created? Even if God did it He would have to come from nothing or has always existed with no beginning or end. However, the same can be said for the universe or an infinite amount of universes. The question is: why is there something instead of nothing? It just is, like 1+1 = 2. Why? It just is. It is not a logical question to ask.   8-)  Bill
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

abegeman

Quote from: "Solitary"I love thought experiments! In my opinion something cannot come from nothing---so how can the universe be created? Even if God did it He would have to come from nothing or has always existed with no beginning or end. However, the same can be said for the universe or an infinite amount of universes. The question is: why is there something instead of nothing? It just is, like 1+1 = 2. Why? It just is. It is not a logical question to ask.   8-)  Bill

Hi, thanks for your response, yes i agree the question almost seems completely illogical, and actually this question defies my logical comprehension - but equally, it is one of the most fundamental questions we can ask.

Science is based around truths - science is essentially how we prove things we know to be true  - usually we start with conjecture - then prove or disprove the hypothesis.  

Humans have the power to imagine many things, and preform thought experiments on these - in this case, i'm just looking for any sort of attempt at a thought experiment. If we can't even do this - it makes me wonder 2 things.

1. Are we looking at the world from a skewed reality or perspective, so much so that we can't even comprehend the most basic of questions - even in theory.  
2. Is the human brain simply lacking the capacity to understand.

abegeman

Quote from: "Plu"Your best guess is probably Lawrence Krauss. Other people will probably have other suggestions (or will disagree with mine xD)

Here's a talk. I'm not sure how good it is, as I haven't watched all of it, but from what I know most of his stuff is quite good.
Quote from: "Plu"Your best guess is probably Lawrence Krauss. Other people will probably have other suggestions (or will disagree with mine xD)

Thank you, I am watching this now.

Solitary

We experience only a very limited experience of reality in our everyday lives because are senses are very limited, this why things that expand our sense help us understand the reality we experience.  It amazes me that we have come this far in our understanding of the world we live in, and beyond, in such a relatively short time. I find the fact that we have so many questions without answers exciting. The God of the gaps in our knowledge to explain anything is as boring as the heaven Christians want to go to, to me. Heaven is right here on earth, or in our universe, if one looks for it without God being in the way. It's not the end of the trip that should be the goal, but the trip itself. Bill
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

abegeman

Quote from: "Solitary"We experience only a very limited experience of reality in our everyday lives because are senses are very limited, this why things that expand our sense help us understand the reality we experience.  It amazes me that we have come this far in our understanding of the world we live in, and beyond, in such a relatively short time. I find the fact that we have so many questions without answers exciting. The God of the gaps in our knowledge to explain anything is as boring as the heaven Christians want to go to, to me. Heaven is right here on earth, or in our universe, if one looks for it without God being in the way. It's not the end of the trip that should be the goal, but the trip itself. Bill

Thanks Bill, and I agree with you of course, I was just looking for some theories on said subject. Wasn't trying to make any God implications - ultimately inserting God(s) as we know just leads back to the same question.

Brian37

Many Thanks

Anyone can think or claim what they want, where we find evidence is when a claim can be put in a neutral setting with control groups and have the shit kicked out of it. If the claim survives the shit kicking, you have something. If it does not, then dump it.
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

abegeman

Quote from: "Brian37"

Many Thanks

Anyone can think or claim what they want, where we find evidence is when a claim can be put in a neutral setting with control groups and have the shit kicked out of it. If the claim survives the shit kicking, you have something. If it does not, then dump it.

Which leads me to my original question, aside from the god argument, what are the thoughts, what are the theories and what are the claims?

aitm

Quote from: "abegeman"1. Are we looking at the world from a skewed reality.., so much so that we can't even comprehend the most basic of questions - even in theory.  

No and no.

We are looking at the world as it is, because it is what we are looking at. We can very much comprehend not only the most basic questions but even some that are far beyond the vast majority of humans understanding.

The human brains capacity is irrelevant to whatever is or is not. We will continue to explore, and learn, and understand. Now whether we have the capacity at this time in this moment of this year.....only time will tell, but do not put limitations on our abilities when we simply have not yet accessed the file with the information when we presume the file exists.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

abegeman

Quote from: "aitm"
Quote from: "abegeman"1. Are we looking at the world from a skewed reality.., so much so that we can't even comprehend the most basic of questions - even in theory.  

No and no.

We are looking at the world as it is, because it is what we are looking at. We can very much comprehend not only the most basic questions but even some that are far beyond the vast majority of humans understanding.

The human brains capacity is irrelevant to whatever is or is not. We will continue to explore, and learn, and understand. Now whether we have the capacity at this time in this moment of this year.....only time will tell, but do not put limitations on our abilities when we simply have not yet accessed the file with the information when we presume the file exists.

Agreed we are looking at the world as we see it, as it is the reality we know. Similarly, if we were drunk all the time  - this would be the reality that we function in, but it doesn't necessarily foster the right frame of mind for understanding. I refer to my original question. I'm looking for thought experiments on the topic, I wasn't suggesting humans are incapable of not understanding all the basic questions - just simply this one.

Paradoxically in answer to your response to the human brains limitations, and  not putting limits on it. Surely we have to question what we are capable of? From understanding our own limits, we can then be free to try and expand our consciousness. Already allot of progress is being made in using computers help expand things such as our memory. Not questioning our own limits could be a limit in it's self.

aitm

Quote from: "abegeman"[I'm looking for thought experiments on the topic,

oh hell, you can be looking at a vast and completely  unrelated field of crap there. Good luck.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust