Markiplier Reminds Us About The Importance Of Respect

Started by Hijiri Byakuren, February 17, 2017, 07:39:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hijiri Byakuren

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBMkrXG8KMY

Not the type of video you'd typically expect from him, but considering what's been happening with Pewdiepie and the Wallstreet Journal he pretty much had to say this.

Thoughts?
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Baruch

Bravo.  What I voice ... makes me wish I was gay (well maybe not).  I see this in the young people I work with every day ... they give me confidence the older folks, all worn out, don't.  Don't be a hyena from Lion King.  See, there is a general level of "feral" in society, not just your individual take.  And as that general level rises .. then "danger", "danger".
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

Not much to say, other than I think the concept of respect is certainly one that's lacking in many facets of our society, and cross generationally... and on that one, the definition of respect varies strongly between generations. At least in the very small circle I associate with, in a very small section of the country that is internationally known for being "different", I see a very encouraging re-directing towards making respect for one another a large part of our conscious action. But I have to put it into perspective that Austin (and her branch cities) is much like Portland, Taos, San Fran. etc. in that regard... it is a region that breaks the norm rather than reaffirms it.

For young people at least (20-35,40 range), the concept of respect is very important, and it's great to see it.

I am also more than gladdened to see people here don't have this absolutely moronic concept of, "respect has to be earned". How our society picked up that backwards idea is about as clear to me as how we ever thought homophobia or socks with sandals was acceptable.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

aitm

I got through about 30 seconds. Respect is indeed being used wrong. Respect is indeed something that still should be "earned". I think the word and the actions he is looking and asking for is rather, considerate and polite.  If we were more considerate and polite then perhaps we would get to the point of listening and understanding others peoples view and then, THEN....we can achieve respect. But no.  I do not mis-apply respect. For me it is indeed something you need to earn. A lot has to happen for me to respect a person. A LOT. I do not give it lightly. I think the word respect today means nothing but agreement. And that diminishes the word to simply meaning...somewhat agreeing with a persons view while not accepting completely as truthful...or......meh.....paragraphs of strung together words that pretty much mean what one does to other people when they are being polite and considerate. Respect. Thats up the ladder several several rungs.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

FaithIsFilth

Quote from: aitm on February 18, 2017, 02:58:13 PM
I got through about 30 seconds. Respect is indeed being used wrong. Respect is indeed something that still should be "earned". I think the word and the actions he is looking and asking for is rather, considerate and polite.  If we were more considerate and polite then perhaps we would get to the point of listening and understanding others peoples view and then, THEN....we can achieve respect. But no.  I do not mis-apply respect. For me it is indeed something you need to earn. A lot has to happen for me to respect a person. A LOT. I do not give it lightly. I think the word respect today means nothing but agreement. And that diminishes the word to simply meaning...somewhat agreeing with a persons view while not accepting completely as truthful...or......meh.....paragraphs of strung together words that pretty much mean what one does to other people when they are being polite and considerate. Respect. Thats up the ladder several several rungs.
I agree with this for the most part. When I hear Michelle Obama say we should respect everyone, it just doesn't sound right to me. I accept that the way she is using the word is correct, because respect can mean politeness, but to me, respect first and foremost means that a person has enough admirable attributes, and because of that, I respect them for it. If someone has no or very few admirable attributes, I'm not going to say that I respect that person, although I do going by the Michelle Obama definition, because even if they're a shitty or lazy person, I still want them to be afforded the same rights as everyone else, and I still feel sorry for them because anyone can fall victim to their genes and a lack of free will.

Shiranu

Quote...A feeling of deep admiration for someone or something elicited by their abilities, qualities, or achievements.

The quality of being a normal human being should in itself warrant a moderate level of respect. Given that,

QuoteDue regard for the feelings, wishes, or rights of others.

,should therefor also be something we consciously take mind of.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Baruch

Unfortunately the world is filled with jerks.  And jealous types won't respect your accomplishments, if you have any.  The usual antidote is for people to put themselves in the other persons shoes.  If you were them, would you consider your behavior to them, positive or negative?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

aitm

Quote from: Shiranu on February 18, 2017, 08:13:51 PM
The quality of being a normal human being should in itself warrant a moderate level of respect. 
that in itself should at least give us the right to withhold "respect" until such quality is actually determined... don't you think?
But no, being a human, normal or not, does not auto-stamp respect to me. Respect is defined in a certain way as to raise it above other words for a reason.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Shiranu

QuoteThat in itself should at least give us the right to withhold "respect" until such quality is actually determined... don't you think?

Why would I assume that it wouldn't be the case?

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: aitm on February 18, 2017, 02:58:13 PM
Just like you have to spend money to make money, you have to give respect to earn respect. If you never show respect to anyone until you think they've "earned" it, you will never receive any in return. That's no way to live a life.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

aitm

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on February 19, 2017, 09:45:02 AM
you have to give respect to earn respect. If you never show respect to anyone until you think they've "earned" it, you will never receive any in return. That's no way to live a life.

I think that is exactly the way to live a life. We obviously have differing ways on how we enjoy life. I do not demand people respect me. In fact I waste not one second of a day wondering if someone respects me. In my job I have authority over job sites, I treat everybody courteously, politely, and with consideration. I do not treat them with some type of special "respect" simply because they are there. I hold respect to a higher level than mutual partnership in a project.

Perhaps, I might suggest, some of you should restore the proper meaning of respect and practice courteous, polite and considerate behavior towards all. When their actions become admirable and you find them of higher esteem and adoration than others due to their behavior then I would suggest you treat them with the respect that they have earned.

Sal1981

I'm confused. Seems like the way Markplier uses the word 'respect' he really means 'courtesy'.

FaithIsFilth

Quote from: Sal1981 on February 19, 2017, 10:46:40 AM
I'm confused. Seems like the way Markplier uses the word 'respect' he really means 'courtesy'.
Dictionary.com gives courtesy as a definition for respect. That's the thing with English. Some words have hundreds of different definitions. I agree that courtesy or politeness are better terms than respect because with those words you avoid the confusion.