People's republic of California ...

Started by Baruch, February 17, 2017, 07:30:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

http://thefreethoughtproject.com/homeless-prison-trap-camp-city/

It is illegal to be poor anywhere in America ... but this is interesting in a Liberal state ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Sal1981

Baruch

Quote from: Sal1981 on February 17, 2017, 08:27:46 PM
The comments are a riot.

That is why I left California.  Those are the intellectuals talking.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on February 17, 2017, 09:37:29 PM
That is why I left California.  Those are the intellectuals talking.

It is not illegal to by poor anywhere. Difficult, but not illegal. 
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on February 19, 2017, 02:05:03 AM
It is not illegal to by poor anywhere. Difficult, but not illegal.

Tell that to vagrants.  The US hates the poor, and everyone else, who isn't a millionaire.  Trump much?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on February 19, 2017, 06:55:26 AM
Tell that to vagrants.  The US hates the poor, and everyone else, who isn't a millionaire.  Trump much?

The US loves the poor.  Who else would clean the public toilets?  Don't jump on me, that's sarcasm...

fencerider

Its not illegal to be poor. It's illegal to be homeless. It was a big thing a few months ago for pomona in court. They can no longer arrest people for blocking the sidewalk or occupying public space (like a park) until they build homeless shelters with enough beds for all of the homeless. I was in Santa Ana a year ago. I don't know where the homeless were, but I did see a lot of poor neighborhoods. It's also a city where the cars are parked bumper to bumper on both sides of the streets in the daytime as well as at night.
"Do you believe in god?", is not a proper English sentence. Unless you believe that, "Do you believe in apple?", is a proper English sentence.

Baruch

When your rent goes higher than your income, you will be homeless.  Not a matter of if, matter of when.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

widdershins

Quote from: Baruch on February 17, 2017, 07:30:31 PM
http://thefreethoughtproject.com/homeless-prison-trap-camp-city/

It is illegal to be poor anywhere in America ... but this is interesting in a Liberal state ;-)
Most people in America don't realize that you are legally required to have money.  Not all the time and not in your pocket "right now", but you cannot legally live in the US unless you have money at least occasionally.

Own your car?  You still have to pay for it every year, AND you have to pay to drive it.  Own your house?  I have to pay for that twice a year.  Miss two payments and they'll sell it.  Have kids and no electricity?  You had better have religious reasons your your kids are going to foster care.  Don't have money for clothes?  You still have to wear clothes.

Theoretically I should be able to work my entire life, acquire the things I will need to live out my golden years and then swear off money for good.  Own my own land, grow my own food, collect rain water and live off the land I own.  But once I haven't made a payment on any major piece of my own property for a year it is no longer mine to use.  My house gets sold for a couple lousy grand in back taxes and I can't take my car on the streets any more.  I'm out on the street.  But in many places it's illegal to sleep on the street.  There is no legal requirement that there be public toilets, but there is one that I don't relieve myself in public.  I have no land to grow food any more, but I still have to eat, which means money.

In a free country I should be able to live without ever having or using money, but I can't.  In America, it's essentially illegal.  It is the ONE thing you are legally required to use your entire life.  Hey, maybe that would be a good legal argument to get "In God we trust" off from it.
This sentence is a lie...

Baruch

The US has never been a free country ... that is part of the narrative control, since Washington's time.

Now in Germany, one of the parties there, has proposed that the immigrants/refugees be allowed to vote in German elections:
https://www.welt.de/politik/deutschland/article162183536/Anhaenger-von-SPD-und-Gruenen-wollen-Auslaender-mitwaehlen-lassen.html

Please enjoy the sound of Germans ... becoming less free, if this goes thru ;-(  And yes, it is in German, so you know it isn't fake news ... yawhole!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

widdershins

Quote from: Baruch on February 22, 2017, 12:40:31 PM
The US has never been a free country ... that is part of the narrative control, since Washington's time.

Now in Germany, one of the parties there, has proposed that the immigrants/refugees be allowed to vote in German elections:
https://www.welt.de/politik/deutschland/article162183536/Anhaenger-von-SPD-und-Gruenen-wollen-Auslaender-mitwaehlen-lassen.html

Please enjoy the sound of Germans ... becoming less free, if this goes thru ;-(  And yes, it is in German, so you know it isn't fake news ... yawhole!
Does it say anything bad about Trump?  If yes, it's fake news.  Does it say anything good about Trump?  If yes, it's real news unless it also says something bad about Trump, in which case it's still fake news, but with some elements of reality.  Does it not mention Trump?  Then it's irrelevant news.
This sentence is a lie...

Cavebear

Quote from: widdershins on February 22, 2017, 11:23:04 AM
Most people in America don't realize that you are legally required to have money.  Not all the time and not in your pocket "right now", but you cannot legally live in the US unless you have money at least occasionally.
Actually, you don't have to have any money at all.  What you DO have to have is CREDIT.  It's not the same thing. 

SGOS

Quote from: widdershins on February 22, 2017, 11:23:04 AM
Own your car?  You still have to pay for it every year, AND you have to pay to drive it.  Own your house?  I have to pay for that twice a year.  Miss two payments and they'll sell it.  Have kids and no electricity?  You had better have religious reasons your your kids are going to foster care.  Don't have money for clothes?  You still have to wear clothes.

Theoretically I should be able to work my entire life, acquire the things I will need to live out my golden years and then swear off money for good.  Own my own land, grow my own food, collect rain water and live off the land I own.  But once I haven't made a payment on any major piece of my own property for a year it is no longer mine to use.  My house gets sold for a couple lousy grand in back taxes and I can't take my car on the streets any more.  I'm out on the street.
Maybe a bit off topic, or maybe not, but yesterday, NPR did a piece on people moving off the grid.  This isn't quite the same as poverty, as it usually involves property, farming, and a more self sustaining life style.  People are moving off grid for various reasons: to create a smaller environmental footprint, freedom from corporate control, and a closer connection with the land which makes life more meaningful.

The last reason is something I relate to, but I won't ever go without my internet connection and electricity.  But one of my observations about myself, and not necessarily recommending it as a good thing, is that working for a living doesn't have a lot of meaning for me.  Sure I put in the hours, receive a paycheck, and with the money, I sustain my life.  It's what most people do, and it works fine, but I find a special meaning, in doing things like harvesting fire wood to heat my house.  There's a direct connection with the activity that is necessary to survive.  I could pay the power company for heat, and it comes out the same, except there is additional expense, but when I do things that more directly relate to my survival, life just has more meaning (for me).

Sometimes, I think I should get with the program and just give into capitalism, make more than I need, and enjoy the good life, except I lose a bit of meaning.  Sometimes I wonder if I'm making a mistake, which is why I don't recommend it for others, but that sense of meaning makes me feel better about what I do.  That's something I don't want to give up, at least entirely.  So I live a kind of compromise, and do a few things that keep me more directly connected to my survival.

Those that go full throttle, give up electricity, cars, and get closer to nature, or whatever you call it, get a tip of my hat.  I understand it.  I won't go that far, but I get it.  I have no idea how many of them give up the project and return to modern life.  Some keep up with it.  I've known a few who have, but they are rare.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on February 23, 2017, 08:39:06 AM
Actually, you don't have to have any money at all.  What you DO have to have is CREDIT.  It's not the same thing.

Until Chase Satan Bank cancels your credit card.  How can you put in your credit card PIN, with huge paws?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

fencerider

SGOS simple solution buy some solar power for your computer before you go off the grid.

I notice that on all the shows people living off the grid still do a something to get a little money. Maybe cause you still have to pay property tax. Like Windershin said if you don't pay the property tax for your free and clear home, not only are you off the grid you're off the property.

I suppose that if you're not sure if you want to live off the grid, maybe you should try living in Louisy-Anna, or MrsHippi or Ali-bam-bam for a while. Its almost the same thing as living off the grid. Little warning: that whole area including R-can-sauce is as green as California is brown, but they got some serious humidity
"Do you believe in god?", is not a proper English sentence. Unless you believe that, "Do you believe in apple?", is a proper English sentence.