News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

The Invisible Hand

Started by Xerographica, February 14, 2017, 12:23:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xerographica

Quote from: Cavebear on February 17, 2017, 02:56:01 AM
How do those books support your theistic ideas?
The books aren't alphabetically ordered... they are ordered by the students' valuations of them.  So... the books are ordered by the Invisible Hand. 

Let's say that the teacher, and the teacher alone, determined the order of the books.  This would be an example of the books being ordered by the Visible Hand.

Let's say that the students could determine the order of the books by voting for them.  Kinda like Reddit.  This would be an example of the books being ordered by the Democratic Hand. 

Let's say that the students voted for one student to determine the order of the books.  This would be an example of the books being ordered by the Republican Hand. 

But in Classtopia... the students use their pennies to determine the order of the books.  This is an example of the books being ordered by the Invisible Hand.  As far as I know, it's the only list in the world that's ordered by the Invisible Hand. 

Cavebear

Quote from: Xerographica on February 17, 2017, 05:42:42 PM
The books aren't alphabetically ordered... they are ordered by the students' valuations of them.  So... the books are ordered by the Invisible Hand. 

Let's say that the teacher, and the teacher alone, determined the order of the books.  This would be an example of the books being ordered by the Visible Hand.

Let's say that the students could determine the order of the books by voting for them.  Kinda like Reddit.  This would be an example of the books being ordered by the Democratic Hand. 

Let's say that the students voted for one student to determine the order of the books.  This would be an example of the books being ordered by the Republican Hand. 

But in Classtopia... the students use their pennies to determine the order of the books.  This is an example of the books being ordered by the Invisible Hand.  As far as I know, it's the only list in the world that's ordered by the Invisible Hand.

I asked how "those books support your theistic ideas", not how they were ordered.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on February 19, 2017, 03:10:43 AM
I asked how "those books support your theistic ideas", not how they were ordered.

I get his point, he is quoting epiphenomenalism .. but badly.  His example has Man in the Loop ... so not true spontaneous creation.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

fencerider

So the Invisible Hand is a real book? Obviously books written that long ago wouldn't be known by very many people. OP explanation of invisible hand is non-existent. I guess I gotta put another book on my shopping list.
"Do you believe in god?", is not a proper English sentence. Unless you believe that, "Do you believe in apple?", is a proper English sentence.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on February 19, 2017, 07:09:13 AM
I get his point, he is quoting epiphenomenalism .. but badly.  His example has Man in the Loop ... so not true spontaneous creation.

No, I questioned your claim, which you have not answered.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on February 26, 2017, 05:57:38 AM
No, I questioned your claim, which you have not answered.

This one ...
"The Invisible Hand only works, when crafted by wise law and regulation.  It doesn't happen spontaneously, any more than the Encyclopedia Britannica happened because of a vast number of typing chimps ... but wait, it did ;-)  Ever read about the Oxford English Dictionary?  Crazy people."

But the OP wasn't about that, he had something entirely different in mind.  I think you are Dr Strangelove ... of the Left.  You keep trying to Zeig Heil when you shouldn't.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on February 26, 2017, 08:37:14 AM
This one ...
"The Invisible Hand only works, when crafted by wise law and regulation.  It doesn't happen spontaneously, any more than the Encyclopedia Britannica happened because of a vast number of typing chimps ... but wait, it did ;-)  Ever read about the Oxford English Dictionary?  Crazy people."

But the OP wasn't about that, he had something entirely different in mind.  I think you are Dr Strangelove ... of the Left.  You keep trying to Zeig Heil when you shouldn't.

You are using "the invisible hand" of economics for a political purpose which does not work (Introduction To Political Science at any University) and even THEN, it has been dismissed in economics as well.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on February 26, 2017, 09:13:45 AM
You are using "the invisible hand" of economics for a political purpose which does not work (Introduction To Political Science at any University) and even THEN, it has been dismissed in economics as well.

I wish you were correct ... but economics was and remains a pseudoscience, like astrology.  And most economists use a fancy mathematical version of Hidden Hand.  Like Adam Smith, they are all shills for plutocrats.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on February 26, 2017, 09:15:34 AM
I wish you were correct ... but economics was and remains a pseudoscience, like astrology.  And most economists use a fancy mathematical version of Hidden Hand.  Like Adam Smith, they are all shills for plutocrats.

I'll point out I denied the invisible hand and suggested that economics is a soft science at best.