News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Materialism

Started by Sorginak, February 12, 2017, 08:56:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Cl

Quote from: Cavebear on February 26, 2017, 10:06:14 AM
I knew that all marketers (including military recruiters) lied, by the time I was 10.  But then I've always been sales-resistant.

Which, I suppose, is why I became an atheist around that time... Theists are just another sales operation.
Well, I was desperate--you see I had just earned my BA and as a present from Uncle Sam I got my draft notice.  I had a semester to figure out what to do.  I did not want to be a grunt.  Too cowardly for that.  So, I quizzed all the branches.  Marines said that all Marines are infantry first--that took care of that.  Air Force wanted to make me an officer--that took care of that.  Navy, well, was, at the time, just too odd for me.  The Army said they would send me to Area Studies School--so, I fell for that.  (The Coast Guard would not even talk to me.)  As I said, I was desperate--right in the middle of Nam, ya know.  All I could see was me and a pine box.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Cavebear

Quote from: Mike Cl on February 26, 2017, 10:50:30 AM
Well, I was desperate--you see I had just earned my BA and as a present from Uncle Sam I got my draft notice.  I had a semester to figure out what to do.  I did not want to be a grunt.  Too cowardly for that.  So, I quizzed all the branches.  Marines said that all Marines are infantry first--that took care of that.  Air Force wanted to make me an officer--that took care of that.  Navy, well, was, at the time, just too odd for me.  The Army said they would send me to Area Studies School--so, I fell for that.  (The Coast Guard would not even talk to me.)  As I said, I was desperate--right in the middle of Nam, ya know.  All I could see was me and a pine box.

I understand.  I was in the 1970(?) multi-year draft and took my chances.  It was so many and they weren't drafting MORE then, so the odds were good.  My number was high (256 or like that) and I escaped the draft forever.  If my number had been low, I'd be typing from Canada, eh?

In fact most of us guys in the dorm did the same and we all threw in $10 to the highest and lowest numbers.  No joke, they were brothers.  Life is weird like that.  (he came back alive and uninjured)
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

The year before me, was the last actual draft.  My year and the year after me, was the last group to get numbers.  I was a 46 ... so my Mom would have sent me to Canada (but I wouldn't have gone).  My older brother and older cousin both were drafted, both went to Nam, both came back OK.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on February 26, 2017, 12:20:23 PM
The year before me, was the last actual draft.  My year and the year after me, was the last group to get numbers.  I was a 46 ... so my Mom would have sent me to Canada (but I wouldn't have gone).  My older brother and older cousin both were drafted, both went to Nam, both came back OK.

You may probably mentioned this before, but what does that symbol mean?
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on February 26, 2017, 12:59:30 PM
You may probably mentioned this before, but what does that symbol mean?

Hebrew ... Shalom ... in modern parlance, hello/goodbye
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.