News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Materialism

Started by Sorginak, February 12, 2017, 08:56:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sorginak

I have been homeless before, and it taught me something.  It taught me that I do not need very much to live and be comfortable.

The bible, that which supposed theists follow, decrees that materialism is not a good thing.

Yet, churches and church-goers collect wealth through materialistic needs as though they can bring all of that with them to the after life.

I say let them have it, let them be hypocrites.

I need wealth as much as I need god. 

doorknob

I was homeless once. I had kids with me so it wasn't fun.

Honestly there is nothing wrong with enjoying our creature comforts as long as we remember where we came from and truly appreciate what we have. I can't comment on Christians really as I have far too many problems with them.

Baruch

Quote from: Sorginak on February 12, 2017, 08:56:34 PM
I have been homeless before, and it taught me something.  It taught me that I do not need very much to live and be comfortable.

The bible, that which supposed theists follow, decrees that materialism is not a good thing.

Yet, churches and church-goers collect wealth through materialistic needs as though they can bring all of that with them to the after life.

So, it has been centuries eh, St Francis?  Glad to have you back.  The birds will chirp happily again.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

fencerider

Quote from: Baruch on February 13, 2017, 01:16:11 AM
So, it has been centuries eh, St Francis?  Glad to have you back.
For he's a jolly good fellow, for he's a jolly good fellow...

No wealth, and no need for a god. I guess that means you got no appreciation for a man like Trump.

I came close to being homeless a couple times, but I got to stay one step above it. Makes you think when your friends use their whole paycheck for rent at the beginning of the month, and have to steal food or go hungry at the end of the month. Or when you see someone seriously sick and they won't go to the Dr. cause they know they can't afford it.
"Do you believe in god?", is not a proper English sentence. Unless you believe that, "Do you believe in apple?", is a proper English sentence.

Baruch

Came close even while working, to poverty and homelessness.  My adult handicapped daughter is coming close to homeless later this year (her mother is insane and irresponsible).  Anyway, I didn't have a bed for over 6 years, slept in a recliner, with two cats on top of me.  Didn't have my own car for 4 years, didn't have a working refrigerator for 1 year ... things are better now for me, but only because I have stayed working the whole time.  I considered becoming a beach comber in California in my 20s, but the little guy on my shoulder said ... "are you crazy!".  At previous times I have been unemployed or unemployable ... felt worthless because society had no need for me.  So I have had some of these experiences, nearly anyway.  Sucks.  The Internet I had all thru that ... and it kept me entertained in a way that the TV cannot.  And even without that, I always have my books.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on February 14, 2017, 06:31:23 AM
Came close even while working, to poverty and homelessness.  My adult handicapped daughter is coming close to homeless later this year (her mother is insane and irresponsible).  Anyway, I didn't have a bed for over 6 years, slept in a recliner, with two cats on top of me.  Didn't have my own car for 4 years, didn't have a working refrigerator for 1 year ... things are better now for me, but only because I have stayed working the whole time.  I considered becoming a beach comber in California in my 20s, but the little guy on my shoulder said ... "are you crazy!".  At previous times I have been unemployed or unemployable ... felt worthless because society had no need for me.  So I have had some of these experiences, nearly anyway.  Sucks.  The Internet I had all thru that ... and it kept me entertained in a way that the TV cannot.  And even without that, I always have my books.

You were THAT broke yet had an internet connection and computer?  Interesting.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on February 15, 2017, 02:45:20 AM
You were THAT broke yet had an internet connection and computer?  Interesting.

Yes, when I was on food stamps, it let me get caviar and Dom Perignon for free!  Stupid taxpayers ;-)  Well, that is what conservatives think .. and they are POS.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Sal1981

I'm a comfort creature, and I grew up in a poor household, with 5 siblings. I went to bed hungry more than once, I can say.

Munch

I'm often feared the idea of homelessness, not because of hunger, but just that I wouldn't survive a day, being diabetic, I'd be in hospital if I was lucky enough to be found going into a diabetic coma.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Unbeliever

I haven't always lived "on the street" but I've never really had a home, either. My first "home" was lost when I was adopted at 3 yo, my second "home" was lost when my adoptive parents got divorced when I was 10 yo. Then I was in a boys' camp for about a year and a half, then a foster home for 4 years, then an orphanage for a couple of years. Then I got in trouble with the law and was told I could do 10 years probation or join the service, so that's what I did, joined the US Navy. After a couple of years of that the Vietnam war ended, so I left the Navy and just hitch-hiked around the country for years. For the last 15 years I've been living in a tent anywhere I could find to hide from the meth-zombies and the cops (since being homeless is illegal).

Even my schooling was chaotic, since I went to a different school every single year, completely skipping the 5th grade while I was at that boys' camp. By the time I started my 11th grade, I "dropped out" after only a couple of weeks, without turning on or tuning in. It hasn't been all bad, by any means. I've had some really good times, here and there.

Now I'm just trying to survive. I don't know how much longer I'll keep trying to do that, though. This forum helps me stay sane - at least as sane as I can manage...
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Cavebear

I spent years after college living with too many roommates in roach-infested apartments and strugling in minimum-wage jobs before I realized that I knew more than my roommates and took a few industry and government tests. 

But the Civil Service test showed I had considerable skills in analysis and writing.  To put it bluntly, I scored 100% in all 6 categories they offerred and had a choice of starting positions.  Computer programming, finance, and administration.  I chose administration because it offerred the widest opportunities.  I ended up the Telecommunications manager which combined all 3 fields. 

And I will say that my supervisors knew I was an atheist and they didn't care because I just managed the program and solved all the problems without disturbing them.  LOL!

When you don't bring problems to the senior managers to solve, they love you.

Baruch

Yeah, I knew I as better than average when I took the Armed Forces Battery Test ... scored 99 percentile.  Almost all HS students (the males anyway) used to take it.  Pretty much cemented the idea that I needed to go to college (wasn't expensive back then) to cement my credentials.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on February 17, 2017, 04:59:42 AM
Yeah, I knew I as better than average when I took the Armed Forces Battery Test ... scored 99 percentile.  Almost all HS students (the males anyway) used to take it.  Pretty much cemented the idea that I needed to go to college (wasn't expensive back then) to cement my credentials.

An obvious pleading for someone asking what became of your 99% test.  And no, I don't care.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on February 17, 2017, 06:16:57 AM
An obvious pleading for someone asking what became of your 99% test.  And no, I don't care.

I became a bad-doing-on-command guy like General Colin Powell.  Not.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.