The ‘Narrative’: the Origins of Political Correctness.

Started by pr126, February 11, 2017, 01:05:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

Quote from: pr126 on February 11, 2017, 01:05:14 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aLaxf_h_ME
Political correctness starts with fear.  Fear of "others", fear of change, fear of having to deal with differences.  I welcome it.  Every society that has assimilated others has thrived.  Every society that tried to stay "pure" has not.  Change invigorates society, renews it, brings new ideas, and refreshes old habits. 

I happen to think that we need MORE immigrants.  From everywhere, not just a few places. Lets have more Russians, Chinese, Kenyans, Swedes, etc. 
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

SGOS

During the Obama speech with the gun advocate present, I remember the news playing a video over and over with a guy wearing the same weapon with an identical sling harness.  I remember thinking the way he was wearing it so tightly secured to his back, it would take 5 minutes to get out of the thing before he could fire it.  He struck me as trying to appear intimidating to the media and the general public, but less threatening to the secret service, which seemed to be leaving him alone, but were no doubt keeping him under surveillance.  I think he was making the point that the law gave him the right to bear arms, and if he shocked some folks, all the better.

But the thing is, I saw the video maybe 10 times on 24 hour news channels.  And it was a white guy, always the same white guy, and usually just a view from the back, but they did interview him face to face, and he was a white guy.  Not to say there weren't others wearing guns, and the news did present it as an organized protest, but I was thinking, "Organized protest?  It looks like it was just one guy."

Had he been wearing a fast draw holster with the snap loose, or carrying the weapon commando fashion, I would have been concerned.  But it seemed like he was making an effort to appear non threatening to law enforcement, if not intimidating to the media.

I never saw the black guy before.  Not that it would make any difference.  The right to bear arms applies to everyone, and I can respect that, not to say I believe showing up armed to a presidential speech is in good taste.  And of course, some media outlets did have to milk the race card and make it seem related to Obama's black heritage.  I thought that may have been reaching.

Baruch

When I take my broadsword to the Medieval Faire .. it is always over my back (too big otherwise), it is secured to not come out of the leather scabbard easily, and the size ... is a masculinity statement! ;-)  Men, a silly version of women, with body hair ;-0

On the OP ... all part of narrative control, used by every government and marketing organization.  Led by CIA in the US, that is why all real journalists, like Woodward, are CIA.  I never listen to real journalists, because I am a free thinker (but I don't oppose the CIA, I just ignore their infantile crap).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

If I saw a guy with a long fancy sword, I would ignore him.  If I saw a guy with a gladius, I would be very careful.

That's why I have a gladius.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on February 11, 2017, 09:11:12 AM
If I saw a guy with a long fancy sword, I would ignore him.  If I saw a guy with a gladius, I would be very careful.

That's why I have a gladius.

Glad to know that, Ursus Maximus ;-))
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on February 11, 2017, 09:13:26 AM
Glad to know that, Ursus Maximus ;-))

It was an accident.  I ordered a couple of "museum replica swords" years ago.  The epee is a piece of wobbly crap.  The gladius, however, was real.  And sharpened on a grinding wheel, quite oddly functional. 

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on February 11, 2017, 09:18:14 AM
It was an accident.  I ordered a couple of "museum replica swords" years ago.  The epee is a piece of wobbly crap.  The gladius, however, was real.  And sharpened on a grinding wheel, quite oddly functional.

But for really close in work, use a pugio.  The gladius is the teeth of a human meat shredder that is a legionary cohort, literally.  You have a wall of square shields, with rotating ranks of men behind to take care of being tired out from all the killing.  The gladii flash in and out, between the shields.  Absolutely terrifying!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxLqx8xF9Pw

My non-Roman ancestors didn't stand a chance, except for the Germans, who usually lost too.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on February 11, 2017, 09:23:38 AM
But for really close in work, use a pugio.  The gladius is the teeth of a human meat shredder that is a legionary cohort, literally.  You have a wall of square shields, with rotating ranks of men behind to take care of being tired out from all the killing.  The gladii flash in and out, between the shields.  Absolutely terrifying!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxLqx8xF9Pw

My non-Roman ancestors didn't stand a chance, except for the Germans, who usually lost too.

Well, in reality, I would choose a scimitar.  And keep both sides sharpened.  Nothing is so good it can't be improved.

But actually, a laser would be best.  Never let it be said I'm not modern.

Baruch

The laser pointer would be a good distraction, if you were attacked by house cats ;-0
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on February 11, 2017, 09:27:47 AM
The laser pointer would be a good distraction, if you were attacked by house cats ;-0

See that's why you would lose.  My gladius would cut your laser pointer hand right off.

But that's not the point (no pun intended).  You seem to think that political correctness is equal on both sides of any argument.    In my experience, there is usually one side that is simply wrong factually.  Lately it has been the Republicans.  One can hardly listen to any Trump appointee (or Ryan or McConnell) without laughing and/or crying.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on February 11, 2017, 09:36:13 AM
See that's why you would lose.  My gladius would cut your laser pointer hand right off.

But that's not the point (no pun intended).  You seem to think that political correctness is equal on both sides of any argument.    In my experience, there is usually one side that is simply wrong factually.  Lately it has been the Republicans.  One can hardly listen to any Trump appointee (or Ryan or McConnell) without laughing and/or crying.

i am more evenhanded politically.  Politics is my least favorite genre of fiction.  "You aren't my father, Darth ... Jar Jar is!" ;-)  If you cut off one hand, two grow in its place ... I work for Hydra, like Capt America.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

fencerider

lets not leave out Trump's body guard with the fake hand that he was holding by the pinky.

for the time being politically correct means whatever makes Trump look good.
"Do you believe in god?", is not a proper English sentence. Unless you believe that, "Do you believe in apple?", is a proper English sentence.

Unbeliever

Chump doesn't care about politically correct, while he's politically corrupt.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on February 11, 2017, 06:11:37 PM
Chump doesn't care about politically correct, while he's politically corrupt.

Politicians are like car dealers.  Get used to it, or walk to work ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.